Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought the majority of my rimfire a while back. I continue to order a small amount from Dan Killough. I just email Dan and tell him what I would like. It comes a little later. I have never waited for the last minute.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
"It is just the same as 100 such threads all over the net. Just a bunch of bored people posting with little facts."

Butch,

Taken in light of this not being just a .22 rimfire shortage but also a powder and to a lesser extent a primer shortage... the comments by those in the industry is relevant. But your right in that they seem to be doing some guessing!

If you read the last(?) comment in the above thread you will see a response by Powder valley. He may be bored as he is not selling much powder these day's, but i would probably call him a concerned business man who according to his post (and within the scope of his business) is in contact with the U.S. powder distributors (Hogdon, Win., etc).

Same with sierra bullets... this has to have an impact on them, if you can not buy any powder or (to a lesser extent) primers there is a going to be a limit to your bullet sales.

Not in the same league, but a couple of months ago I stopped at my local dealer who of course had zero .22 ammo. He had called CCI to try and order a pallet of rimfire. They refused, told him of the incredible amount of rimfire ammo that they were manufacturing and gave him the number of some of their wholesalers, whom he called with no luck (I don't recall if they had no rimfire or he was last on the list).

Jerry

I'm actually sitting on about 10 bricks of Federal bulk, but with a 40x it takes a while to burn through it (haven't loaded my 10/22 in years). I think I am keeping the bullet manufacturers afloat. Haven't seen any 22lr on the shelf in about a year, powder is spotty to non-existant, primers and brass is hard to find, and I'm sitting OK on 45 acp. Nothing left to buy but bullets.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think the article just about nailed it. In the last 16 months I've bought 300 rounds of 22 LR from in store. If I'm in a store that sells 22 ammo I check it out and it's been near non-existent. I've definitely shot more from my supply than I've been able to replenish, which is disheartening.

The local Wal-Mart hasn't had any in stock during those 16 months, but I came close last night. I was talking to the clerk at the sporting goods counter and she said they get ammo every 2 to 3 weeks and 10 to 20 boxes at a time. They never know what they are going to get or how much. The night before they had gotten about 20 boxes in, she didn't say if they were bulk packs, 50 round or 100 round boxes, it didn't matter as they were gone.

What was left was 2 boxes of 22 mag, and even though I don't have a mag, it crossed my mind briefly to buy them anyway...SICK!

I don't need any 22 ammo, I've got a pretty good supply, but there are some flavors that I don't have that I would like to try. But even in good times I'm not going to find these on local shelves.

Last edited by ruffcutt; 04/12/14.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have not had a lot of trouble finding .22 ammo. Most retailers listed here are out, unless you get lucky.
I don't shop Walmart, can't stand the place.
As I travel I get into various gun shops and small town hardwares. I will buy ammo when the price is not scalping.
I find a bit in Farm & Fleet and Fleet Farm as well as similar type of stores. Holiday, gas station,liquor store, gun shop combination stores , one of my favorite type . Even feed stores in the country.
Lately I bought on the net 4000 rounds .22 Winchester Automatic for my 1903. I have recently bought 3000 rounds Remington 5 MM . Both made by Aquilla.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have noticed the powder and primers are getting skimpy on the shelf too. There are not too many outfits here in Austin that sell reloading supplies, Cabelas is too far to drive to on a regular basis. But the ones that do carry it have practically nothing now for re-loaders. I can purchase .22 rf. but there is only a few boxes available at my local gun stores and at high prices.

I am ok on .22, but every time I take some out to shoot my inventory shrinks, and if I use my center fire guns that I handload for it could be along wait to buy powder, etc. I sure hope there is no panic buying on pellet guns as that is what I mostly shoot now. I am out of black powder for my muzzle loader, but may have to concentrate on shooting it for the next year with my pellet guns. This whole .22 shortage is going way too long, a year and a half with no foreseeable letup.

Last edited by HE112; 04/13/14.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by lundtroller
This whole thing is more of an "inconvenience" and PITA for me. I have not bought any .22 ammo since the "incident" except for friends who didn't have any stocked away (not hoarded!)

I am more frustrated by the lack of a simple, obvious explanation. I have listened to all of the hypotheses and speculation... things just don't seem to add up to me. I don't see more .22 shooters at the range, hunting rabbits, etc. I see less. I don't see that many people standing in line at Wal Mart at 7AM!!! (I even tried it 3 or 4 days myself and showed up to find no one and guess what... no ammo shipments any of those day). I do see some at scalper's prices on the local internet sites and some occasionally at the $50 (pseudo-scalper) prices in a few gun stores... they don't last long.

This.

I agree, it doesn't add up, even if the various theories have some merit.

You can't hoard it if you can't buy it. Dealers say they are just getting a trickle. If the manufacturers are cranking it out 24/7, where is it going? What's happening with the supply chain?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by lundtroller
This whole thing is more of an "inconvenience" and PITA for me. I have not bought any .22 ammo since the "incident" except for friends who didn't have any stocked away (not hoarded!)

I am more frustrated by the lack of a simple, obvious explanation. I have listened to all of the hypotheses and speculation... things just don't seem to add up to me. I don't see more .22 shooters at the range, hunting rabbits, etc. I see less. I don't see that many people standing in line at Wal Mart at 7AM!!! (I even tried it 3 or 4 days myself and showed up to find no one and guess what... no ammo shipments any of those day). I do see some at scalper's prices on the local internet sites and some occasionally at the $50 (pseudo-scalper) prices in a few gun stores... they don't last long.

This.

I agree, it doesn't add up, even if the various theories have some merit.

You can't hoard it if you can't buy it. Dealers say they are just getting a trickle. If the manufacturers are cranking it out 24/7, where is it going? What's happening with the supply chain?

Paul

Take a look over at Gunbroker if you want to see some of it, 10-12 pages usually, 500 or so listings, these guys have an endless supply, they aren't buying THAT much at walmart, something fishy here somewhere.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
You simply cannot hoard what is not there. I know several people that own small shops and others that manage sporting goods sections in the larger stores. Every one of them tell me the same thing; they can't get 22 ammo. I stopped at one chain store the other day and the sporting goods manager told me that he had one box of Remington bulk 22 delivered in the six weeks prior. The well is dry long before the retail people are in line. One of the local shops is still waiting on the January 2013 ammo order. It can't be new shooters and it can't be hoarders if it doesn't make it to the retail shelves.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been getting most of mine from the online sellers such as Midway and Cabelas. I rarely walk into a retail store these days. Not worth the gasoline.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mauser12
You simply cannot hoard what is not there. I know several people that own small shops and others that manage sporting goods sections in the larger stores. Every one of them tell me the same thing; they can't get 22 ammo. I stopped at one chain store the other day and the sporting goods manager told me that he had one box of Remington bulk 22 delivered in the six weeks prior. The well is dry long before the retail people are in line. One of the local shops is still waiting on the January 2013 ammo order. It can't be new shooters and it can't be hoarders if it doesn't make it to the retail shelves.

Exactly, and therein lies the fundamental question.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MadMooner - "and we are just starting to see it getting caught back up?" What makes you think that? 2012 was the last time I was able to purchase .22LR at my LGS & WallyWorld. Have not seen anything close to 1/2 full shelves since then. Had 2 bricks in 2012 and I'm gingerly shooting them now. NO plinking or 10 shot groups anymore. Sight in a new scope - 3 shots, break-in a new rifle - maybe 5 shots every now and then. .22LR was as common as dirt at one time... everybody sold it. Now they're as rare as virginity at a hooker convention. Homesteader.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Stopped at my local Academy yesterday, quiet with the holiday weekend, lo and behold some .22 ammo! Two large stacks behind the counter, some Aguila .22 Super Colibri, bought a box. And the top of the line Federal target ammo at $20.00 a box.

The Super Colibri was very hard to get the last 1.5 years, the Federal stuff is probably too expensive for the average shooter who just wants to plink. There are several theories about the shortage but I have seen the top grade and expensive target ammo available for quite some time, if you don't mind paying $20.00 for fifty rounds!

This shows that most shooters really want the cheaper plinking/hunting ammo. Until I see the 500 round bulk packs on the shelf I won't say it is normal. But things are getting better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in a LGS yesterday and found some Winchester 40 grain HP Subsonic ammo. I was able to buy 2 boxes since they had a limit on rimfire. I was glad to see some available.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I see kids given as much 22 ammo as they can machine-gun through a rifle .
One guy stated his two kids could go through two 525/550 packs "each" a day -said 2K+ rounds is gone by Sunday afternoon.
That's more ammo than me and my two brothers shot in a lifetime.
Think of how many people shoot 22 ammo like that.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Growing up I never had more than one or two fifty round boxes on hand at a time until school got out for the summer. Then I usually got a brick that had to last all summer or longer. Usually Winchester Wildcats, 88 cents a 50 round box and a brick at a time was a big deal.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had what ever I could afford and yes I made it last. A little target shooting but mostly scope check and each shot was thoroughly aimed and sqeeezed off .
Kids emptying 20 round mags as fast as they can is silly and teaches them nothing useful.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"One guy stated his two kids could go through two 525/550 packs "each" a day -said 2K+ rounds is gone by Sunday afternoon.

Kids emptying 20 round mags as fast as they can is silly and teaches them nothing useful."

Mike,

Gotta agree, what are their parents thinking? Or are they thinking!

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
"One guy stated his two kids could go through two 525/550 packs "each" a day -said 2K+ rounds is gone by Sunday afternoon.

Kids emptying 20 round mags as fast as they can is silly and teaches them nothing useful."

Mike,

Gotta agree, what are their parents thinking? Or are they thinking!

Jerry

The parents are just as bad, that's where the kids learn it, see them all the time at our range with their "tactical" 10-22's doing what they call "mag dumps" which simply means spraying the ground in front of the firing line as fast as you can pull the trigger, and without even a thought of trying to hit a target of some sort.

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Do you guys have kids?

I had my seven year old at the range yesterday. He shot 40-50 shots out of his Savage cub and was about ready to come home. I set him up with my 10-22T and he shot another 400 times before I made him leave. He was having a great time shooting both paper and steel.

By the way when I got to shoot I was doing mag dumps with a pair of Kimbers, a Sako quad and a 541T.

Kids like to hear the gun off. If they waste a few rounds who cares as long as they are being safe.

Dink

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
kids should be taught discipline in all levels of life. Dink just what area of MO are you in LE ?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
841 members (12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.