Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a Winchester Ranger 120 in 12 ga. I'm going turkey hunting at the end of the month. Does anyone know if they make a turkey choke for this gun? It came with Improved Cylinder, Modified and Full choke tubes. If I can't find a "turkey" choke, I will probably use my full choke.

Also, I'm going to take my boy. He will be using a Rem 1187 in 20 ga. What is a good turkey choke for it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rooster

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the 20 ga I highly recommend a Trulock tube made for the Fed Heaveyweight 3" #7 load.

For the 12 ga, your options are wide open. Your tube selection is highly dependent on what load you are planning to use.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rooster,
some thoughts- First, I would pattern your Winchester with the full choke tube it came with, using whatever load you want to use for turkey. There are a lot of choices out there, as well as arguments as to the best shot size. Personally, I shoot #5's with great success over the years. My average shots are between 20 and 30 yards.

Patterns should be sufficiently dense at normal ranges to put a lot of hits in the head and neck area of your turkey target, with out a lot of gaps in the pattern. It also tells you whether or not your shotgun is shooting where you are looking.

I am also a firm believer in fiber optic sights, front and rear. With tight chokes and only a front bead, it is entirely possible to miss- seen it too many times. If your shotguns have vent ribs, these sights are a simple add-on.

Just remember- folks have been killing wild turkeys with shotguns for many, many years, long before all the fancy stuff we have available to us nowadays was even thought of. Tighter chokes, better ammo, and better sights simply up the odds of making a clean kill shot.

As far as chokes go- there are a ton of aftermarket chokes available. If you can swing it, try more than one in your shotguns, as well as a brand or two of different ammo, to see what patterns best. No one choke, or ammo type, can be prescribed for your guns, they are all different in performance.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jim,

Use your full choke and Hevi-shot of some sort. You'll be fine with a full choke and almost anything you use really. Just find one that patterns well. Keep your shots at 40 yards and under and you'll be eating an easter bird.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If you can find it, run a Primos Jelly Head in the Remington. Try #5 hevi-shot in the 20. You should fine to 40 yds as well in that. If for some reason the #5 heavi doesn't work, try some others that does. You can call me tonight if you want to BS about it.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good advice Bighorn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Winchester 120 should take standard Invector chokes (NOT Invector plus). These are widely available and are still used in the Mossberg 500. I'd pattern your full choke and then see about a dedicated turkey choke. I'll second the suggestion that you get some fiber optic sights on the rib.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Why the fiber optics?

Also, I bought Remington Nitro Turkey in #5 shot for the 12 ga.

Tom,

Thanks for the advice on the 20. DNR emailed me yesterday and said kids between 13 and 17 can hunt all seasons for $5 bucks

Last edited by Rooster7; 04/13/14.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for the advice Bighorn!

So, I shoot pheasants and used to shoot a lot of ducks and geese with this gun. It's hard to imagine missing a standing bird but I have to remember the shot is way denser.

Last edited by Rooster7; 04/13/14.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's a pattern target, at 25 yds, from my turkey shotgun.

With tight patterns, if you are off a little, it is indeed possible to miss a bird, or hit him so lightly that he gets away.

Enter the need for sights......... [Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Went and bought some fiber optics and some turkey targets along with some magnum turkey shells for the 20 ga today at lunch. Starting to get pumped! lol

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I just painted my front bead on my 20ga, blaze orange and it works fine. I've never been one to use the FO beads and rear "sights". They're not very durable.

My Benelli SBE has a factroy FO front bead and a steel mid bead. This set up works fine for me as well.

This is turkey hunting, may folks make it out to be a lot more than it is. If you miss, go find another one. That's the fun part anyway. YMMV though.

I used to have every gadget made to shoot one of these suckers. Now I don't even use a vest. Sometimes I carry a decoy, but mostly it's my bino's, a slate call, a few strikers, and a two diaphram calls in my pocket. I've shot more birds since going "light". I can move to them much easier. It's more fun since I don't have to worry about all the crap I have with me.

I'm not a run and gunner per say, but if I don't have any action, I'll try to drum some up.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just be sure to shoot the guns and verify your POI as well as the maximum effective range. Too many people think that a shotgun shoots true to the bead which is simply not true for most. Your POI can vary tremendously from one choke to the next as well as one load to the next. Shoot large sheets of paper(3'x3') to determine the POI. For your maximum effective range, draw 10" circles around the most dense portion of the pattern after the shot and determine what distance your patterns fall to 100 hits in the 10" circle.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
I just painted my front bead on my 20ga, blaze orange and it works fine. I've never been one to use the FO beads and rear "sights". They're not very durable.

My Benelli SBE has a factroy FO front bead and a steel mid bead. This set up works fine for me as well.

This is turkey hunting, may folks make it out to be a lot more than it is. If you miss, go find another one. That's the fun part anyway. YMMV though.

I used to have every gadget made to shoot one of these suckers. Now I don't even use a vest. Sometimes I carry a decoy, but mostly it's my bino's, a slate call, a few strikers, and a two diaphram calls in my pocket. I've shot more birds since going "light". I can move to them much easier. It's more fun since I don't have to worry about all the crap I have with me.

I'm not a run and gunner per say, but if I don't have any action, I'll try to drum some up.

Well I'm not a gadget guy either....much... whistle

grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7

grin

Yeah... I realized who I was typing to when I wrote that. grin You're going to need a Duluth Pack for all your turkey gear at the end of the seson. grin

I like to move around a bit, the hunting day is only about 16 hours long. grin

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

grin

Yeah... I realized who I was typing to when I wrote that. grin You're going to need a Duluth Pack for all your turkey gear at the end of the seson. grin

laugh

I'm trying not to get too carried away with the gear...yet. smile The youngest boy (formally known as the basement dweller) has really taken interest in this so I really just want to get him in a position for a shot. I want to show him that there is more to life than playing playstaion on line with his friends. crazy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

grin

laugh

I'm trying not to get too carried away with the gear...yet. smile They youngest boy (formally known as the basement dweller) has really taken interest in this so I really just want to get him in a position for a shot. I want to show him that there is more to life than playing playstaion on line with his friends. crazy

Amen!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Get him involved, let him call and shoot the birds. When you hear that tom blast off, 150 yds from you in the dark.... if his heart stays in his chest, he's better at it than I am.

MAN I love getting those toms fired up. One really, really good way I've found to do that is when you get one to gobble a few times at your yelps, you'll be able to tell after a few if he's gobbling at you.

When he starts to gobble, cut him off with some yelps. If he gobbles at that, cut him off again. Lots of times your get doubble or tripple gobbles. They get all fired up and it seems like they don't know what to do. It's like a 15 year old in a strip club. He doesn't know which way to turn and just strarts slobbering. Thats SUPER agressive though. If there are hens near him, they'll probably pull him in a different direction at flydown... but sometimes they don't. grin and it's fantastic when it works!

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
You got me fired up just reading that! lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if you can't can't shoot steel out of the std full choke then you can't shoot heavi shot out of it either. i have the same win pump except it was a ted williams branded for sears. i believe they say to not shoot steel out of anything tighter than mod on those chokes. if you are shooting lead then go for it.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
if you can't can't shoot steel out of the std full choke then you can't shoot heavi shot out of it either. i have the same win pump except it was a ted williams branded for sears. i believe they say to not shoot steel out of anything tighter than mod on those chokes. if you are shooting lead then go for it.

I've shot lead Remington nitro turkey out of it before but good point. That is something I should be double checking.

How about the 1187? I've never shot anything heavier than phesant loads out of that

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
1187 should be fine. If you want an aftermarket choke, that's probably the easiest gun to find one for. The RemChokes should say right on them if you can use steel shot.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
1187 should be fine. If you want an aftermarket choke, that's probably the easiest gun to find one for. The RemChokes should say right on them if you can use steel shot.

I'm going to shoot the 1187 with the full choke this weekend and see what it does. I found a jelly head at gander yesterday but not going to shell out the $50 buck for it until I see what the full choke does.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dude, that Jelly Head is worth twice that. It will run circles around your RemChoke. If it doesn't, I'll buy it from you.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by natman
The Winchester 120 should take standard Invector chokes (NOT Invector plus). These are widely available and are still used in the Mossberg 500. I'd pattern your full choke and then see about a dedicated turkey choke. I'll second the suggestion that you get some fiber optic sights on the rib.

This. The 'Win-choke'. Invector and Mossberg 'accuchoke' are all the same.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's good to know.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Welp, my full choke worked in the 12ga. I got my tom this morning. smile

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Put up a picture goofball. You manage a company, I think you can figure out how. grin

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Put up a picture goofball. You manage a company, I think you can figure out how. grin

haha got it

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.