Print Thread
Hop To
N
novalty Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
The weather wasn't the best last Saturday. So I decided to finish casting from 45's for a family member that traded me some lead for some cast boolits. Decided to take some pictures of the session--generally I forget about it. The boolits were cast using a M-P 452-200 4 cavity brass mold, which is dropping 215gr. FN with COWW's.
[Linked Image]
Preheat the mold on a cheap hot-plate.
[Linked Image]
Here is my water-drop setup. Not really for any additional hardness benefit, just to keep them on one place--plus I don't see how many I've cast until I'm ready to call it quits.
[Linked Image]
Found the boolits cast nicely from these Mihec molds at around 700-725� (almost there.)
[Linked Image]
Sorry for the fuzzy picture of the sprue
[Linked Image]
Better picture of the cut sprue.
[Linked Image]
Finished product
[img]http://i100.photobucket.com/al...g/Casting/DSCN0759_zpsb58f24df.jpg[/img]
Sorted out any that didn't pass inspection, and lined up the rest next to my RCBS LAMII for sizing and lubing (Total of 636). Not too bad for a couple hours.
[img]http://i100.photobucket.com/al...g/Casting/DSCN0762_zps24f1d830.jpg[/img]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You did good.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice setup, nice looking bullets. Something almost magical about it all, huh?!

The thing with water dropping them as a matter of convenience is they will harden, whether hardening is beneficial or not in their final application (and as often as not, hard bullets aren't necessarily beneficial). Also, with such a small water receptacle, the water will warm up rapidly and you'll change the hardness of the bullets (boolits? frown ) somewhat as the quench itself warms up. Consistency in the water quench is important which is why most folks use a five gallon bucket.

It seems all one hears about anymore is water quenching directly from the mold. Doesn't anyone anymore heat treat them in an oven and quench the whole batch of evenly heated bullets at once so they all get subjected to the same water temperature?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
N
novalty Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
To be honest gnoahhh, I'd prefer to air cool them, but haven't figured out a good receptacle that will keep them from dropping onto one another and dinging themselves up.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been casting for 45 years and never used anything but a folded bath towel to catch bullets dropping from a mold, and never encountered a problem with dings or dents. Admittedly they only fall an inch or two, and when I have a dozen or so on the towel I push them to the back to cool and to make room for more.

IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I've been casting for 45 years and never used anything but a folded bath towel to catch bullets dropping from a mold, and never encountered a problem with dings or dents. Admittedly they only fall an inch or two, and when I have a dozen or so on the towel I push them to the back to cool and to make room for more.

I do the same excepet I lift the edge of the towel and roll them into a big pile still on the towel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by novalty
To be honest gnoahhh, I'd prefer to air cool them, but haven't figured out a good receptacle that will keep them from dropping onto one another and dinging themselves up.

I use a cardboard box. Trim the sides to only 2-3" high. You can elevate one end if you like. I simply drop the bullets on the box bottom & when I need room for more I raise one end of the box & allow the bullets to pile in one end. Simple & effective.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jensen

I do the same excepet I lift the edge of the towel and roll them into a big pile still on the towel.

Yeah, I do that too. Some times I pick them up with my lips to pile them to the side, or roll them with my tongue. We old bullet casters are a tough lot! grin

N
novalty Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Geeze I've got a lot to learn just started casting last year. Can you send me a video of that lip technique?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't use my tongue anymore, I find the spit water quenches half of the bullet and then it leads half of the barrel when I shoot it. Usually the right half is leaded and the left is fine.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by novalty
Geeze I've got a lot to learn just started casting last year. Can you send me a video of that lip technique?

Sure, but I'll need your address so I can mail it, as the only video camera I own is an 8mm Bell&Howell (if I can find it up on the attic- probably buried underneath my supply of buggy whips).

N
novalty Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
What...you don't have it on Blu-ray???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blammer
I don't use my tongue anymore, I find the spit water quenches half of the bullet and then it leads half of the barrel when I shoot it. Usually the right half is leaded and the left is fine.

I am surprised that a man of your knowledge and experience would not size each half of the bullet separately to fit its respective side of the barrel... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
N
novalty Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I pour the lead through the barrel into the mold, so I know it will fit.

Last edited by novalty; 04/11/14.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Heck, I pour the lead into the barrel, let it cool, insert a charged case and shoot it. Perfectly fitted bullets. (It is a royal pain in the d*ck when hunting though! grin )

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Here's one for you. Gas Check this one....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by blammer; 04/12/14.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recognize that! It's for a British .450-410-2 1/2 Smedley Quizzical, the forerunner to the British Paradoxical of the same caliber.

The Smedley Quizzical was popular in the transitory period of 1847-1851 when the British Army was contemplating replacing their smoothbore muskets with rifled muskets. They couldn't agree so in typically British conservative fashion they hedged their bets by producing the Quizzical, which had a half smooth and half rifled bore.

The French Captain Minie' would solve this problem in short order but the British, of course, wouldn't have anything to do with a French design, stating officially that they wouldn't touch a Minie ball with a 10 foot lance, which by the way, said 10 foot lance was still issued in the official TOE of British units up until Operation Market Garden when they finally realized it was unwieldy for paratroops.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

[Linked Image]

Hmmm... Looks like a 200 grain .358Photoshop to me...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F

[Linked Image]

Hmmm... Looks like a 200 grain .358Photoshop to me...

Na that is those new wobbler bullets that really tear things up when they hit stuff.
That's what it is ya

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
...said 10 foot lance was still issued in the official TOE of British units up until Operation Market Garden when they finally realized it was unwieldy for paratroops.

I thought they went to the folding model for Operation Market Garden?

As to the photo, that is the famous "Half High Pressure Bullet". The case was loaded while on it's side, Bullseye powder on the bottom, then a layer of Trail Boss, no less than 80% of the available volume, then the bullet seated with the gas check side down to match the Bullseye level. Care must be taken when chambering the round, since chambering it with the Bullseye side up will result in increased velocity causing a change in impact and making it capable of taking even the largest game animals. Chambering it with the Trail Boss side up, it is suitable for use as a Gallery Round, being subsonic and not penetrating more than one layer of ordinary cardboard.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,114
Posts18,464,448
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.