Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
sns2 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I just picked up a Forbes Model 20B in 7-08. Now I have to choose a scope.

I must admit I am wavering. Don't know whether I should get a variable or fixed 6x. The problem is this gun has a 90 degree bolt lift and tends hit or have minimal clearance with the big eye pieces that come on most variable scopes nowadays. This has got me seriously thinking about a fixed 6x. What would be your thoughts? I live in Alberta, Canada and most of my hunting is on mixed farmland. My shots never exceed 400 yards. I'm old-school and think its unethical, and that if I can't get closer, I'm not that great of a hunter. My concern with a fixed 6x is having too much scope for when an animal comes running across a cutline quickly at close range, and I don't want a 4x.

Help me decide, friends.

Currently, I am leaning toward a FX3 6x42, but am wide open to suggestions.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've killed a running buck at 25 yards and a running pig at 10 yards with 6x.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A FX3 6x42 should clear .
I recently changed out my Leupold Variables to
FX3 6x42 Heavy Duplex they really help "OLD EYES"
AMRA

Molan Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have "suffered" through a similar dilemma.. smile I have noticed in recent years that I don't see as well with a 4X as I used to (a friend says I have gotten used to other stuff).But anyway shared the same concerns about the close range stuff.

My experiences with fixed 6X scopes has been long but thin,so I have not been challenged with them at close range.I decided to mount some up and just start shooting to see how I like them and so far, so good.

If there is a concern,practice bringing the rifle up quickly and swing on pigeons and chippie birds as they fly past at close range....get out and do some varmint hunting too and pretty soon you will know if you like a 6X or not.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leupold ultralights are a fine scope in 3-9 power.....but seriously.....you'll wind up setting it on 6x or 7X and leaving it there all the time....

I hunted with a Weaver K-6 for many years as the only scope I had in the early sixties.....I still have it and still use it and can honestly say that I don't miss any advantages of the variables.

Some of the reticule options might be a lot more of interest than the variable power option.....but it seems the reticule options are mostly found on variable power scopes.....

Today I have several Leupold 3-9 X 32 scopes and love them all......and yes....usually they are set to 6X and stay there all the time.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It is really too bad the fixed power scope choices are so limited. My first choice would be the 6x36. I am quite satisfied with 3 and 4 power scopes, as a rule, and I think the Leupold 3x20 is a very practical hunting sight. If I wanted more, the 6x36 would the way to go. GD

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got Weaver Classic "K"s and Leupolds (FX-II and FX-3)...I like the FX-3 best, but honestly, I prefer the Weavers to the FX-IIs. Classic K-6 is a whole lot of scope, the FX-3 is better, but not by as much as you'd think.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look through a 6X at something small at just 10 yards, and keep both eyes open and you'll be surprised how quickly you can pick up the target. Then try the same thing at a moving target. I think you will be impressed.

You can check this out on a variable set at 6X, so you do not have to buy the fixed scope first.

I keep putting more and more fixed 6's on my rifles, and like them very much. Also, fixed power scopes are far more reliable than variable power scopes, and they are generally less expensive.

I do a fair amount of hunting in Wyoming for deer, antelope and elk and I've never thought I needed more than 6 power.

And if you buy a fixed 6 and don't like it, there are a lotta guys here at the Fire who will buy it from you. I'm one of them.

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 04/13/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sns2
My concern with a fixed 6x is having too much scope for when an animal comes running across a cutline quickly at close range, and I don't want a 4x.

Help me decide, friends.

Currently, I am leaning toward a FX3 6x42, but am wide open to suggestions.

I don't understand this statement. You have concerns that a 6x is too much scope, don't want a 4x (no stated reason given), but am leaning towards a 6x. confused

The FXII 4x is a very good all-purpose scope. It's light, bright, reliable and very useful for most hunting here in Canada. Try one out before discounting it. I just put one on my 358Win. It will work fine for your needs. Also have a Weaver Classic 4x on my 22/250.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another scope to consider would be a Leupold 2x7. Perfect sized variable for small rifles. I added one of those to my Model Seven 7-08.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
sns2 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Concerned 6x may be too much in tight quarters where quick sight acquisition is paramount. This is where a variable such as a VX6 2-12 may be the best of both worlds, except for the big eyepiece that provides scant bolt clearance with this particular rifle.

I don't want a 4x as my eyes just ain't getting any younger.

Hope that is more clear:)

Last edited by sns2; 04/13/14.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well its a not issue, I had a 7mm-08 some years back when that cartridge was first introduced as a factory standard round. I put a fixed 3x Steel Tube Weaver on that 700 Remington. And proceeded to shoot and kill game with no problem out to dam near 500 yards. Most of my current rifle either have a fixed 6 x or a variable set on 6x. It has never been a problem for me to shoot game real close, like 15 yards or as far as I was willing to take a shot. The little 1.75 - 6 x leupold would work well on that 20 B Forbes in 7mm- 08. And the bolt will clear and any of the other nonsense you are working yourself up to. I'm 59 years old, and to be frank, I could do all my hunting with a fixed 2.5 x or an Aimpoint and not feel any limitation at all when hunting big game.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always remember Finn's immortal quote:

"Big game too far away to be shot with a 3X scope is ........ too far away.

As I recall he used an El Paso K 2.5.

Buy the best 3 or 4X you can afford, you'll be all set. (also a lot less to go wrong)

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've killed a running buck at 25 yards and a running pig at 10 yards with 6x.

I'm not this good.

While I can appreciate the simplicity a 4X or 6X scope, they have more magnification than I want 95% of the time, and not enough the other 5%. I see no real downside to a quality 2-7X or 3-9X scope. A Leupold of either type is pretty small and compact weighing no more than 12 oz. Years ago variables could be less reliable, but I don't see this as an issue any longer.

I find than I do 95% of my shooting at 2X or 3X, and wouldn't want any more most of the time. On the occasions when I feel the need for more I go straight to the highest magnification and never mess with anything in the middle.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would get a variable. Go with the Leupold VX2 2-7, VX3 2.5-8 or the VX3 1.75-6. Really no reason not to.

I just scoped my Montana with a 2-7X36 kahles. If I didn't own the Kahles, I would have chosen one of the above.

While I like the idea of the 6X36, I lack confidence in it as a choice for quick close shots. While this is likely only my imagination, I would rather stick with what I know works because it has worked for me for 30 years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a couple Leupold 2-7' and a pair of 2.5-8's that I've always been happy with, but thinking I'm going to sample the 6x36 koolaid on a recently acquired Kimber Classic Select Bob

Last edited by cal74; 04/13/14.

Life is just one damned thing after another
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Real shame there are less fixed scopes available these days, and they aren't necessarily any cheaper than a variable anyway. One of my all time favourites was the Swarovski PF 6x42. Only 12oz, and optically superb - but they don't make them anymore.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I too have gone back to 6x for all big game rifles. Leupie FXIII 6x36 and a few Weaver K6's. Simplicity and rugged dependability. I always left the variable near the top of their power anyway.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I have been all over the map with my choice of scopes. My first was a 4x Weaver that cost me $35 or so in 1959. It was mounted on a Rem.M721. 30.06. I was 15 at the time. In the years since I've owned other fixed powder scopes, small variables, big variables, cheap ones, vary expensive ones, I've spun dials, added dots and had one that had something like a Christmas tree for aiming points. My last several have all been Leupold 6XLR and I love them for BG hunting. I have one on a very accurate .270Win that will consistently group five shoot into 3-4" at 300yds. Sometimes I sit in my back yard in the evening when dove are flying by and I have no problem picking them up(if they are 30ydrs out or so) in the 6X. NO, I DO NOT SHOOT AT THEM. But I thought about it.

Last edited by super T; 04/13/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I highly agree that 6X is often times too much magnification. I'd rather a 4x than a 6X for all of hunting, if forced.

That said, I would go with something like a Leupold 2-7X or 2.5-8X on that rifle. Great all around, light, and smaller ocular than the Euro scopes....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75 on my 708... can't think of a better set-up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.