Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Back during my Feb March trip to the Cancer Center for Sherri, I stopped in at a small gun shop next to the center to inquire about the new concealed carry laws just passed. That shop pulled out what was OSTENSIBLY an official publication with information on the law, but as it turns out that map and bit of information was most likely way off base. I have e-mailed Concealed Carry USA to get clarity and will call that gun shop in the AM to find out whose map they are using. It is likely that if they led me astray, others could be endagering thier freedoms by listening to this shop owner and giving more credence to his reciprocity map than is due. As an aside, Getting a firearm, especially a handgun, is a little bit of a hassle going through Chicago/O Hare AP, but not as bad as I feared. And not as bad as they time I flew through JFK with my Africa bound firearms a few years ago.

Declaring at the luggage counter that I was travelling with an unloaded and locked up handgun in my suitcase merely brought out a form for me to sign that the firearm was unloaded, and an airport security officer had to carry my suitcase over to the TSA inspection depot but the airport security guy said that they are already much more accustomed to seeing guns coming through now, and that mine was the sixth handgun he had proccessed through that day, VS more often in the past entire weeks or months going by without seeing a gun go through. Very intriguing information there, IMO. Refreshing to be sure was the TSA guy acted like he knows this was all one big, pointless excercise and was proffessonal and civil enough. It may have helped a bit (or may not have) that I had taped copies of my C&R FFL to one side of my hard pistol case and a page with photocopies of my DL license and copies my four different CCW permit or licenses taped to the other side with the photocopy of my drivers license. Now, none of this is TECHNICALLY needed or required, but it is my thought that identifying onesself as a upstanding citizen and one who is trying to be sensitive and aware of firearms laws helps a cause to at least some degree cannot hurt.

Took the inexpensive 380 this time as a test run, might pack the big ten next time around now that I have less fear of it getting confiscated at the airport, even temporarily.

Checking more carefully about concealed carry reciprocity, I will report back if I find anything out that is useful or different than what is now believed to be the case by most.

Last edited by safariman; 04/13/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by safariman
Getting a firearm, especially a handgun, is a little bit of a hassle going through Chicago/O Hare AP, but not as bad as I feared. And not as bad as they time I flew through JFK with my Africa bound firearms a few years ago.

Declaring at the luggage counter that I was travelling with an unloaded and locked up handgun in my suitcase merely brought out a form for me to sign that the firearm was unloaded, and an airport security officer had to carry my suitcase over to the TSA inspection depot but the airport security guy siad that they are already much more accustomed to seeing guns coming through now, and that mine was the sixth handgun he had proccessed through. Refreshing to be sure. The TSA guy acted like he know this was all one big, pointless excercise and was proffessonal and civil enough. It may have helped a bit that I had taped copies of my C&R FFL to one side of my hard pistol case and a page with photocopies of my DL license and copies my four different CCW permit or licenses taped to the other side with the photocopy of my drivers license. Now, none of this is TECHNICALLY needed or required, but it is my thought that identifying onesself as a upstanding citizen and one who is aware of firearms laws to at least some degree cannot hurt.

Anyways, it sure was a nice feeling to not be running around Northern Illinois, Chicago and Milwaulkie WI unarmed.

Took the inexpensive 380 this time as a test run, might pack the big ten next time around now that I have less fear of it getting confiscated, even temporarily.

TFF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It may have helped a bit that I had taped copies of my C&R FFL to one side of my hard pistol case and a page with photocopies of my DL license and copies my four different CCW permit or licenses taped to the other side with the photocopy of my drivers license.

Just curious, but why would an FFL or CCW help with airport checking of a firarm?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A note saying he has CMPH would have been just as effective.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
CMPH?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Chronic My Puzzy Hurts

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Anyways, it sure was a nice feeling to not be running around Northern Illinois, Chicago and Milwaulkie WI unarmed.

TFF.........

Illinois has no reciprocity with any state so you cannot legally carry there, period, & if you are stopped for any reason & have it in your vehicle, even if locked in a case, you will surely get a schitload of grief.

Additionally, the C&R FFL gives you no rights or protection concerning a modern handgun, either.

Wisconsin has some reciprocity, but not with Oregon.

MM

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

TFF.........

Illinois has no reciprocity with any state so you cannot legally carry there, period, & if you are stopped for any reason & have it in your vehicle, even if locked in a case, you will surely get a schitload of grief.

Additionally, the C&R FFL gives you no rights or protection concerning a modern handgun, either.

Wisconsin has some reciprocity, but not with Oregon.

MM

C'mon, now. He's an upstanding citizen who is aware of firearms laws, at least to some degree. That's gotta count for something, right?..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really?????????? Wonderin' if she's even that smart.

Laughin' here. laugh

MM

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep, I go to Illinois a lot and they don't recognize anyone, the OP is full of sh*t, as usual.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Everything the dumbazz touches is a train-wreck. I'm sure the next chapter in the saga will be to either tell us he was mistaken and didn't mean to type Illinois, or that he jumped through the nearly impossible hoops to obtain an Illinois non-resident permit.

And having said that, I'd probably carry a gun and take my chances, but I sure as hell wouldn't go online and brag about it, but some people just can't seem to help themselves.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mirage243
Yep, I go to Illinois a lot and they don't recognize anyone, the OP is full of sh*t, as usual.

I believe non resident vehicle carry is legal if you are legal to carry in your home state.

Last edited by wisturkeyhunter; 04/13/14.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My understanding of Illinois law is that the vehicle cannot have the weapon and the ammo where you can get to both. When I get to the Kentucky line I pull over and put my ammo and magazines in the toolbox of my truck.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
BULLSHHIT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Under current law, as written, those who are permitted to carry in their home state are allowed to carry inside their automobile or RV in the state of Illinois.

If they should open the car door and set foot upon the ground with a loaded or concealed weapon they are in violation.

This is, I believe, a new twist on things for Illinois. I gotta believe that most police jurisdictions will still arrest, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in court.
Handgunlaw.US recommends that no one who does not possess a valid Illinois permit carry in Illinois, in vehicle or out.

It is also interesting that Illinois' SC has ruled that Illinois law that banned weapons carry to be ab initio unconstitutional. Wonder what will happen to all of the old convictions???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Under current law, as written, those who are permitted to carry in their home state are allowed to carry inside their automobile or RV in the state of Illinois.

If they should open the car door and set foot upon the ground with a loaded or concealed weapon they are in violation.

This is, I believe, a new twist on things for Illinois. I gotta believe that most police jurisdictions will still arrest, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in court.

Handgunlaw.US recommends that no one who does not possess a valid Illinois permit carry in Illinois, in vehicle or out.

It is also interesting that Illinois' SC has ruled that Illinois law that banned weapons carry to be ab initio unconstitutional. Wonder what will happen to all of the old convictions???

May God bless and protect any who choose to be a test case...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The last concealed carry map I saw (at the gun shop in Zion Illinois) showed Illinois being now reciprocal with Utah and Arizona. This was brand new information as of early March this year, and the airport folks verified that they are now seeing lots more handguns in luggage than ever before as a result of this change. That same shop is now offering concealed carry classes for the residents, which according to the shop owner are identical to the Utah Classes, which helps make sense of the reciprocity.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
It may have helped a bit that I had taped copies of my C&R FFL to one side of my hard pistol case and a page with photocopies of my DL license and copies my four different CCW permit or licenses taped to the other side with the photocopy of my drivers license.

Just curious, but why would an FFL or CCW help with airport checking of a firarm?

Like I said in the post, such is definately not required. However in my dealings with .gov people, the more documents you have linking you to having some sort of .gov blessings, the less headache you are likely going to run in to and the more likely they are to give credence to your interpretation of the laws. Especially when you speak with eye contact and a firm voice, straight posture, confident look etc. Many of them do not know that much about the rules, and are happy to be compliant with a person who looks to them to be well documented, aware and taking all possible steps to be known as a law abiding person with no ill intent.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The last concealed carry map I saw (at the gun shop in Zion Illinois) showed Illinois being now reciprocal with Utah and Arizona. This was brand new information as of early March this year, and the airport folks verified that they are now seeing lots more handguns in luggage than ever before as a result of this change. That same shop is now offering concealed carry classes for the residents, which according to the shop owner are identical to the Utah Classes, which helps make sense of the reciprocity.

Az reciprocity

A simple google search will save you a lot of trouble. Doesn't seem like Az has any sort of agreement with Illinois.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You have to have an Illanoise permit to carry, seems as though Mark broke the law. Something I would certainly advertise.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,068
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.