Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Shotgun powder,...they say don't use it for nothing else,...but 3 grains of it with a 71 grain .312 FMJ is a nice plinking load in my old .32 S&W long hand ejectors.

I'm gonna consider it a substitute for Bullseye until somethin' blows up.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How are you judging pressure? Sounds like it is workable to me. Can you find any WW 231?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can figure it about like Bullseye, maybe a little faster or a little slower depending on testing method. I have used it in .44 Mag plinking loads but WOULD NOT recommend it without first talking to Hodgdon. Surprisingly wink they may know something the rest of us don't.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by eh76
How are you judging pressure?

I shoot it,..and if it don't blow up in my face, it's good to go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe

grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come to think of it I did use Titewad in an 8x57 gallery load with a buckshot (000?). Worked well, you do want an easy to ignite fastest possible powder. For pressure there was so little powder you could probably get away with blank powder. Still wouldn't hurt to run it by Hodgdon which I never did. It could do something unexpected but more likely they didn't see an application and didn't test it considering the other shotgun/pistol powders in their lineup.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure Titewad will work just fine for you. Alliant 20/28 works pretty good for me in low pressure loads in my 32/20.

Alliant doesn't recommend it for pistols either.

Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Notes (from 2001) say 00 buck (53.6 gr.) starting at 2.6 gr. Titewad for 732 fps working up to 9 gr. and 1976 fps. Velocity consistency improved markedly at 5 gr./1479 fps. Only problems noted were feeding (of course) and lubrication being a pain in the butt. Grouping improved and case residue decreases (there's a hint at pressure) at 7 gr./1832 fps, seemed to be the sweet spot.

Still, it's an at your own risk kind of thing.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done it a few times, use powder in a cartridge for which no load data exists. Usually just find a powder that is a little faster on the chart, then start with its loads as starting loads, then work up carefully with the new powder.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Actually,..Hodgdon's *did* finally list some load data for it with the .45 ACP.

Their data seems to suggest that it generates fairly high pressure for the velocities achieved,...which is only normal with an ultra fast powder.

It's definitely not a propellant that you want to play with at high velocities, but it does okay for plinking loads.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As far as "Blank Powders" go, I am strictly a "Cereal Shooter"

GREAT stuff for fireforming.

Putting it behind anything HEAVIER than a light payload of COW, or Wheatena ?

Not in anything, never, no way.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
It seems to work pretty good in these light bullet loads for the .32 long,...which uses a light bullet, anyway.

I bought a double handful of those 71 grain .312 bullets intended for the .32 auto.

I've been twisting them up to 1600+ in my 7.62X25 with SR4756.

I decided to cap a few .32 longs with them using Titewad to see what happened.

3 grains of the stuff doesn't even begin to iron the primers out and I bet they're doing in excess of 900 fps out of the little revolvers.

,....looks like it's gonna make a dandy pop gun load.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I LOVE that, and am taking notes,.....

Someone else was talking about BLANK powder.

Bad Idea, IMHO.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have any Trail Boss?
I'd use it in any straight wall cases for reduced loads.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
no,...never tried it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I mentioned it (blank powder). First of all you can't get it and second it's pretty much gun cotton and if not explosive the next thing to it. Would not be wise or useful to use in a bulleted cartridge. It is possible in tiny amounts but there's absolutely no point to it, can't do anything a fast powder like Titewad can do much more safely.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no,...never tried it.

Trail Boss is one of the few powders that's been available.
If you can get a hold of some locally,give it a shot.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I mentioned it (blank powder). First of all you can't get it and second it's pretty much gun cotton and if not explosive the next thing to it. Would not be wise or useful to use in a bulleted cartridge. It is possible in tiny amounts but there's absolutely no point to it, can't do anything a fast powder like Titewad can do much more safely.

For pressure there was so little powder you could probably get away with blank powder.

Oh, I see,....

not

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I mentioned it (blank powder).

yes, per above

First of all you can't get it

Dead WRONG, unless you're scared of pulling wooden bullets out of a vertitable HOST of blanks that have been available on the surplus market FOREVER
and second it's pretty much gun cotton and if not explosive the next thing to it.

Wrong again,....it's POWDER,....Some in flake, some real small beads, almost dust,.....

Would not be wise or useful to use in a bulleted cartridge. It is possible in tiny amounts but there's absolutely no point to it, can't do anything a fast powder like Titewad can do much more safely.

Hence, my response, and somewhat jaundiced view of WTF it was you were trying to say in your first post regarding "Blank Powder". Frankly I'm still at a loss as to just why Blank Powder was brought up at all. Judging from your last post, I honestly think you may be , too.

Blank Powder.....

A.) GREAT stuff for fireforming,.....

B.) NEVER behind a heavier payload !

C.) NEVER use hand loading advice garnered off the internet

GTC

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Hee hee! Makes sense. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (6mmCreedmoor, 44mc, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.