Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#8774033 04/12/14
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Little brother and I are going to upgrade elk camp for bow hunting this season. We want to add a wall tent and a shower. We are considering a tent from Davis Tent in Colorado. What options do you like in your tent (floor, windows, doors, stove, etc.). What shower do you use. Post your pics of elk camp to help. Also interested in camp kitchen too.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I bought a two room shower tent from Kmart for $36 on sale. It is nicer than the $140 Cabelas model.

For a shower. I used a 3 gallon garden sprayer. Removed the wand. Fitted it with a sink sprayer that is usually used on a kitchen sink to rinse off things. You might have to increase the hose size on the sprayer.

I heat about a gallon and a half of water to boiling, pour into the sprayer and then add the same amount of cold water. Pump it up and you are set to go. You will need to pump up again before done, but you can take a hell of a shower on three gallons of water. Most of the time I have water left.

Total cost: Less than $25 compared to $100 plus for commercial ones that heat and pump the water and need propane and batteries.

Only thing, unless you store it inside, you need to drain and flush all water out after the season so it doesn't freeze and crack the head.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/13/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a 12x14x5 wall tent (Montana Canvas) that's perfect for 2 guys -- 3 in a pinch. I wouldn't buy a sewed-in floor. I use a canvas truck tarp to cover the ground.

I have a screened window -- rarely open it.

I have a 12" Sod Cloth that I would recommend.

I have a Camp-Mor frame that I highly recommend. I can pitch the tent by myself.

I have a tin "Wrangler" stove that works great -- wouldn't be without it!

A 16x20 plastic tarp covers a 12X14 tent roof perfectly; leaving eaves to store wood and boxes under.

I use 6' steel fence posts (4) cut in half to make 8 tent stakes. It doesn't move in a high wind..

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hawk Pilot:

Make sure you include Beckel Canvas in you market research.

http://beckelcanvas.com/about.php

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A buddy just bought a 14 x 16 tent last week from Davis tent and really likes it so far. It replaces his old 14 x 16 that a mouse chewed through in his storage area.
We bought our tents from Walltentshop.com in Idaho and we've been very happy with them. We bought one of the cheaper Wilderness tents- not the Montana modes he offers. We have a 14 x 16 main tent and a 10 x 12 cook tent. We've slept from 2 - 5 people in the main tent and we usually set up a nice folding 3 x 6 table in the main tent to eat at ($39 at BiMart)Even bought a set of metal folding chairs for around the table so we can be comfortable while eating, playing cards, or just BS'ing in the evening.
We use a roll of carpet for the floor in the tent. Nothing like getting up in the night and having a warm floor to put your feet on. You can buy a large enough carpet remnant almost anywhere pretty cheap.

This is the stove we bought and it works fine with out tent- http://www.outfitterwarehouse.com/hunter-stove.html
Pretty inexpensive but it does the job and is easy to set up and keep stoked. Puts out plenty of heat.

The cook tent keeps all of our cooking supplies, food, water, and utensils out of our main tent and organized in one spot. Keeps the main tent more organized and cleaner and keeps the cooking smells and moisture out of the main tent.

If you are bow hunting in Oregon, you will be pretty early in the season so it can get pretty hot. Best to have as many windows as you can so you can get air circulation in the tent to cool it off during the day. Also, get the screen door at the main entrance so you can flip back the canvas door and let air in the tent and keep the bugs out.

Definitely get a fly to protect the tent from UV decaying the canvas. If possible, get the fly from the tent outfit so the cut out for the tent stove hole matches the tent hole and it will fit the tent.

Definitely spring for the frame angles and build a frame. Best decision I've ever made. Makes setting up the tent and taking it down a piece of cake and makes the tent much more stable in a high wind and heavy snow.

Get the fly or tent with the awning option if you like to sit outside the tent. It will keep the rain and sun off you while you sit outside and relax and you can store things under the awning like dry firewood, etc...

For out cook tent, we bought the best Cabela's camp kitchen they had along with a couple of the hanging canvas storage and it has worked great. Of course, we are set up to cook for up to 7-8 guys so your set up may not need to be as elaborate.

Haven't gotten a camp shower yet, but Saddlesore's idea is a great one and we may have to try that this year.

If I can find some pics of our camp set up I'll post them.

Where in Oregon are you?

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 04/13/14.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might also look toward Alaska Tent & Tarp (907-562-2293). They carry all sizes of rain resistant, mildew resistant and UV resistant canvas wall tents. The quality is superior. I've left mine standing in the back country 365 days a year, for up to three (3) years, before needing to replace a tent. Excellent product. However, they're more expensive than the "discount store" wall tents.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Doors on both ends of tent work much better than windows.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hawk Pilot, in our camp we have settled on the use of Stearns Sun Shower bags. The first bag was the 5 gallon size, but there was always someone hogging the water and one or two guys ended up with no water at shower time. The heck with that, so I bought the 2.5 gallon size for myself and actually can get two showers from that size.

I like the flexibility for heating water on a rock in the sun, truck hood or heat water. The bag has an easy on/off value to conserve water.

We use a small plastic tarp for a shower stall and attach it or wrap it around anything that is handy. For three or four years we used a small piece of canvas to stand on to avoid dirty feet, however a bud nailed some small cedar boards together and we stand on that now. Just another little bit of convenience at the base camp.

I use the same bag at my hunting and fishing camp in Wisconsin and when using my pop-up camper.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My hunting partner and I both bought the Davis Tents 12 x 14
We put two of them together with a "vestibule" between them when we need to and use one tent when we have a smaller group. we use tarps for floors and do all our cooking in a separate Kitchen tent. we use one of the cheapo outdoor temporary garages when we drive to camp. The window is a great option, both tents have wood stoves, I would consider a rear door if I did it again but it is fine without it.
the vestibule is great for storing fire wood and packs, rifles etc. other options would be pole bags for the frame when we need them.
Davis tent is a great choice as you can run a rope or cable for a ridge through the tent if you are on a horse pack hunt.
Davis makes a great tent, customer service was excellent. I would not go anywhere else.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'll assume you can drive to your camp site, advice is different if you're packing in.

A 12 X 14 tent should be roomy for 2 hunters, but adequate for 3. Room for cots, wood stove for heat, propane stove for cooking, table and chairs for eating/social time. Ordering the frame angles and cutting your own frame pieces from EMT (conduit)is a good way to go.

Doors/screens both ends would be ideal for warmer weather. At least a window on the back end. Davis makes a "Colorado door" that is basically just a flap on the door that lets you leave it unzipped if you're in and out a lot and not get draft or lose too much heat. Nice in cold weather.

A cheap tarp makes a good floor. Cut out around wood stove area, or just leave the front six foot of the floor dirt. Throw rug by your cot is nice. No way would I want a sewn in floor.

We use a white poly tarp as a fly, overhang the eaves a little, 6-8 foot out front for an awning, cut out a hole for the chimney. Protects your tent from UV (which is the death of canvas), sparks from the wood stove, and snow slides off easier.

Davis "Ridge" stove or the smaller one would be good choice. Bigger=more wood=longer burn time between stokings. We cook some on the wood stove, but a propane stove is nice for the instant on and off. Tried the hot water tanks that attach to the stove, but now leave them home and just use teakettle or stock pot for water heating.

2-3 folding tables for dining, meal prep and just storing/ piling stuff. I like a folding "directors" camp chair for sittin' time. 5 shelf plastic shelving unit for storing kitchen supplies. Totes with lockable lids keep mice out of food. Mousetraps deter repeat visitors.

Use propane lanterns in the morning for light. Small fairly quiet Honda generator runs in the evening for a while to recharge radio batteries, cell phones and run electric lights in the tent and outside.

Saddlesore has the best advice for a shower I've seen. I've taken many a bath with just a bucket, washcloth and towel. Warm water makes it almost a luxury!

Have 2 tents from Davis tent and find them to be great to deal with and a good source of advice. They're elk hunters themselves, so they know what you need to make a better camp.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here is my kitchen.

[Linked Image]

Here is the rest of the tent. When it a party of two we put 2 cots in the back along the side walls.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Davis has their "Scratch & Dent" sale going on right now and are adding more this week. +1 on internal frame and you'll the get the best prices on all your corners here. No floor just a tarp and carpet.

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice TJAY. looks ready for inspection! smile

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Till the first azzhat with muddy boots walks in, and pisses off the cleaning lady.....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Till the first azzhat with muddy boots walks in, and pisses off the cleaning lady.....

I was going to say something similar. My camps never looked even half that clean. Even on the first day.

The problem with those solar bags you sit in the sun or heat on a rock is when you get 4-5 days of cloudy with some rain. You just quartered an elk, smell to high heavens and you need a shower. You think "Aww yea, I'll just grab that bag that has been sitting out there all day and shower." It's so cold that your weenie draws back in and you have to shove your thumb up your butt to a scare it out.

I must confess though, in later seasons I sponge bath beside the hot woodstove. In addition the sprayer was not my invention. Fred Moyer who use to run a North Idaho Saddle Mule website put me on to it. He's in DC now during a tour the govt.

You might see him post on some forums under the name Machais.

I forgot to mention about my garden sprayer shower. You need to give it few good shakes to mix the hot and cold water.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/13/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thank god for thumbs.....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I do enjoy a comfortable camp now days. The floor is covered with that really thin outdoor carpet. Snow and water go though to the ground and it dries very quickly. Even do the diesel heater and hot water heater,

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TJAY
Can you tell us about your heater?
Make
Model
How do you like it?
The size of your tent you use it in.

Thanks

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
thank god for thumbs.....

This is why you should never hunt alone.

I hate using my own thumb for that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's another company that you should include in your comparison shopping.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/567d40aa77c8409fbc938789039098

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,474
Posts18,451,783
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.