Print Thread
Hop To
#8775248 04/13/14
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
It's been a beautiful week in Augusta. Augusta National is the most beautiful course I've ever been to. Amen Corner with all the azaleas in bloom is something to behold. Rae's Creek, the 16th par 3, coming up 18, $1.50 egg salad or pimento cheese sammiches washed down with a $3 beer, members walking around with ties and green jackets; it's easy to see why the pros hold this tournament in such reverence.

I am still pulling for Freddy. -3 and 3 out for a man over 50 who still has game. Bubba or the new Spieth kid would be OK too.

My fondest memory of this week was at 14 tee overlooking 13 green on Friday. There is a very strict rule of no cell phones or camera during tourney days at The Masters, U.S. Open or PGA Championship. You go through a metal detector and get wanded at he entrance (lost a Ken Onion that way at the Open at Beth Page Black). Weds practice days are okay for cameras however. Anyway, Friday, young Kevin Stadler is playing well and comes through 13 & 14 on the leader board which only holds a out 10 names or so and is one of te few that are still manually operated. 3 or 4 threesomes later, here comes his old man, the Walrus - Craig Stadler. He must be near 60 now and still plays well for his age. Well he puts out at 13 and walks over to 16 tee with his group. He tees off first and walks to the front of the tee off to the side. Not exactly the best etiquette, as the other two have yet to tee off. He seems preoccupied as the other two hit, but as soon as they're done, he whips out an iPhone and takes a picture of the leader board. I'm sure Augusta National will give a proud dad a pass for taking a picture of his son's name on the leader board of The Masters.

Heading back to the course to see the final groups come in.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was able to attend the first round of the Masters a few years ago. It's even more beautiful than it appears on TV. I never imagined how hilly it was. This old man got tard of humping up those hills and sat down when I could. Amen Corner was breathtaking.

I couldn't believe how velvety the fairways were---like our putting greens back home. The marshals at Augusta National would make the Gestapo proud of the way they control things.

Anecdote: A TV announcer once remarked that the greens looked as if they'd been bikini waxed. CBS was quietly told that the announcer was forever henceforth personna non grata at Augusta National and he's not been seen since.

The big guns at Augusta are like teflon toilet paper---they don't take no s*** off anybody.

I'm pulling for Bubba W. since he's almost local but wouldn't mind Fred Couples taking the green jacket. smile

Last edited by MColeman; 04/13/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always pull for Freddie Couples! He's making it fun as he's in the hunt. I think the way this kid Spieth is hitting the golf ball today he may be tough to catch

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pulling for Freddie also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Freddy winning would be really neat.

I'd be fine with the Speith kid winning as he is going to be a really special player & he will win a lot.

Not particularly a fan of Bubba..........too whiny when he loses & too emotional when he wins, besides, I don't like pink drivers.

MM

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Spieth is putting on a show. Wow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's snowing here today so I've planted my butt on the couch and I'm watching the Masters. Yesterday I raked, mowed, and fertilized the front lawn in anticipation of some moisture so I deserve a break today.

It's great been a great golf match so far.

I'd be happy to see Bubba, Kootch, Speith, or Freddie win. They're all worthy competitors.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm gonna wait till tomorrow to cut the grass...If I had a dying wish, it might probably be to play a round at Augusta...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Spieth is putting on a show. Wow.

Yeah, but there's a lot of golf to play.........the Masters doesn't start until the back 9 on Sunday.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife is an avid golfer so she is watching that today, I have very little interest in it. How much does it cost to get into that as a spectator, anyone know?

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fish head
It's snowing here today so I've planted my butt on the couch and I'm watching the Masters. Yesterday I raked, mowed, and fertilized the front lawn in anticipation of some moisture so I deserve a break today.

I did the same here in Windsor! Great minds think alike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like Spieth is getting tired

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, he's coming apart a little.........too bad, I'd have enjoyed seeing him win a lot more than Bubba.

Bubba just hit a grear drive at 13 & Spieth is in trouble; more or less nails it barring a major collapse by Watson.

MM

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
BW wrapped it up to win...not my choice, kind of a strange guy...but the kid couldn't keep up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jnyork
My wife is an avid golfer so she is watching that today, I have very little interest in it. How much does it cost to get into that as a spectator, anyone know?

A four day pass at face value is $250. Brokers get most of these somehow and sell them at a great profit. You can find passes outside the venue ( any golf tournament for that matter) for around $100/day.

Interestingly, it's fairly cheap to join here...comparitively. $25-30k initiation and $4-500
a month. But, you have to invited. With last names like Gates, Buffet, and Palmer on the very short membership list, it's heady company. Even past champions are not members; they have to be invited. Arnie is the only one I know of.

Congratulations to Bubba. He earned it. Young Speith has many more tournaments in front of him and he'll win a number of them.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was pulling for Bubba. He's a damn good Dawg.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I actually got PAID to go to the two Masters I've been to. Think that p'oed the wife? Now all I ever hear is how she wishes our grass looked like that!

Go Bubba!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

440 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 41 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.