-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi gents ... Just a little share from a little supper with my friend and hunting buddy Phil. Just because it turned into a celebration of the fine cooking art.

Phil is a chief and works as a "home chief" (he cooks for you and your friends in your own kitchen, very trendy here especially since road alcohol testings became extremely frequent degrading people's taste for good wine and food combination in restaurants). He's the guy who teached me how to cook foie gras and my master in venaison and caught fish preparation.

As we were all alone on thursday night we had planned to meet in Phil's home for a little omelette supper and hunting talks around a beer or two.

Eventually the little easy supper turned into an informal yet fine cooking impro from what was at disposal into the fridge.

This is how the "omelette" eventually turned into a smart starter.

[Linked Image]

I know this would probably seem bizarre to americans but that omelette is cooked with green asparagus and ... little greys ... a local sort of snails laugh OK don't tail it's disgusting as long as you still didn't taste it cool

You can see some wild herbs and flowers and also a little green cone figuring a belgian candy speciality but actually made from Bear's garlic, a wild plant.

As I was eating the omelette Phil wanted to show me the last meat pieces he did put in the fridge and suddenly decided to cook us a nice piece of Black Angus ... Hell it was good ...

[Linked Image]

Still on the mood to try things with the fridge's content he started this as a kind of dessert ...

[Linked Image]

Actually not a dessert but I'm more interested into this than into sugar so it was ... Goooooooooood ... Doooooooomed

That's a toasted piece of bread covered with beef boon marrow. The little green sponge is a foam made from basillic.

This shows you the kind of cooking art chiefs use to develop here in South Belgium.

Last edited by grand_veneur; 04/12/14.

Va t'in tch�re !
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That looks amazing

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Wow! That does look good. When I was in Belgium they seemed to serve only moules, frites with mayonaisse and raw hamburger. Oh, I almost forgot the Liege cheese. It was all good. Well, except for the cheese smile. It's nice to see the food looking as good as the world class beer. No chocolate for dessert? All the best; Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No ... I'm on a diet grin grin

It's actually the first chocolate rush of the year right now with easter time.

I guess you're talking about Herve's cheese. Well ain't no cheese without strong taste and some smell grin I keep � good memory of veal kidneys with blue chimay trappist b�er sauce and melted Herve cheese atop. grin

Where dis you come in Belgium?

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinNow c'mon GV, wouldn't ya rather have another buffalo roast??? grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don't remember the name of the cheese but I can't forget the smell smile. We were in Liege visiting my Wife's family. She was born there. We were young and travelling on the cheap so, we flew to Luxemburg and took a bus to Liege. With a snow storm in the Ardennes we arrived very late. All the relatives waiting for us in a cafe had plenty of drinking time. It was our first trip to Europe together and it was a very joyful welcome and we did have a wonderful time when we were there. I hope to visit the Musee de Armes again. Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So you have some kind of a piece of Wallonia @ home smile

ET, you know enough of me to know I'd eat with pleasure fresh & raw venaison on a wild territory, rather than a gourmet meal in a restaurant. Why the hell you, evil creature, try again to put the taste of adventure and open range in my mind once again ???? blush

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would open this thread, as I sit here eating takeout Chinese for lunch frown

But I am having venison for dinner tonight smile

And I actually do like Escargot, when it's available...which is damn rare in Texas

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Some would say it's a kind of venison :p

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GV,

What part of the black angus is that? It looks tender and amazing! I like venison as well as anyone, but nothing beats a well-seasoned, well-prepared piece of beef!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's Entrecote (is the Word correct in English ?)

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. It's "ribeye steak" in English. My favorite cut!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 204guy, 1minute, 38 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,362
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.