Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
700 MR and 7XCR with the 22" barrel.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Like many others a 700 mtn rifle (more so in a Ti stock) fits me as well as any other rifle I have handled. I suspect perfection for me would be a 700 KS in a std caliber, though I'd be interested in handling Paul's 7 KS.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GWB-You have excellent taste in your choice of rifles...yep, I'm bound to say it. smile

You guys with synthetic stocks, what do you do when they get skinned up here and there? Especially the plain grey ones without any "spider webbing" or camouflage. They just look easy to scuff up.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The paint on mine seems to be really durable. I wouldn't worry about a nick or a scratch, it just adds some character and memories from some hunt.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Kitch

You guys with synthetic stocks, what do you do when they get skinned up here and there? Especially the plain grey ones without any "spider webbing" or camouflage. They just look easy to scuff up.

here's one that started its life as a Rem 700 Custom KS in 375 H&H. It was sent to Hill Country Rifle for rebarreling to 300 H&H and their accurizing package. It was a plain ol' grey/blue Kevlar stock, somewhat like a Kimber Montana.

[Linked Image]

Just scuff up the finish with sandpaper and apply a base coat. Follow up with some Krylon Webbing Spray to taste and finsih with a clear Urethane then knock off the frizzes from the webbing spray and one more light coat of Urethene and Walla.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Your ready to go out in the wilds of the Texas hill country where every thing stings, stabs, scratches, pokes, bites........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and massacre hoglets. LOL

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/IMG_0375_zpsf829fa74.jpg[/img]

when they get scuffed/scratched/dented, just sand them down and start over if ya' want. Most times unless you really booger them, its not apparent.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/13/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent! That looks 100% better, IMHO. Although I'm not a big fan of synthetic stocks I like this one. Webbing spray...that's a new one on me. I need to spray some of that on my head to give the appearance of hair. No sandpaper prior, however.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wish I was home so I could get accurate measurments from the rifle I have "perfected" over the years. I built the stock from a board and have experimented and carved on it until, after 30 years, it is just what I want.

The pull is a bit shorter than most...13 1/8" with a straight buttstock. I have added a bit more drop than is common (years of shooting classic double shotguns I guess) and shoot with my head somewhat errect.....but with my jaw solid against the cheekpiece. Overall the stock is extreamly thin at the wrist and even more so at the forearm. The forearm is short (11") and of the British, safari style. The checkering pattern is a wrap-around style that is of my own design. The barrel of this Mauser actioned rifle is 23" long and very thin and light.

I like this rifle's design so well that I have taken exact measurments from it and "modified" three other rifles so that every demention is the same.

I have never found any factory rifle that was mear what I want. The Savage 99 EG comes pretty close though. Winchester's Model 70 featherweight (the "new" one with the snobble tip) is not bad.....just a bit too thick overall. The Ruger 44 carbine is pretty good too.....after I took a rasp to it and removed quite a bit of thickness from everywhere.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kitch

You guys with synthetic stocks, what do you do when they get skinned up here and there?

You leave them that way.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I like this rifle's design so well that I have taken exact measurments from it and "modified" three other rifles so that every demention is the same.

Interesting word. grin

P
PJH Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Marlin 336

Shoot straight or shoot often.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Remington 7600's.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry about the spelling.....I think faster than I type. I always said that's what "editors" are for.....to edit and get it right for publication. I am the "talent"....not an editor.

I much prefer walnut stocks (the higher grade the better), not plastic. I also perfer high polish blued steel, not stainless or painted. I do appreciate the value of plastic and brushed finishes (including stainless), but on a "custom" rifle, I don't see the point. Asthetics are as important to me as utility....pariticularly in a one-of-a kind custom job. Just me maybe, but the "look" is as important as the utility. Otherwise we'd all be shooting Savage 110's in plastic stocks.

Just thought of that makes me shudder. My "fine" rifles have to look the part as well as perform.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ruger M77 walnut stock ,tang safety in 3006. My first bolt action and still the best fit for me.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kimber 84M Montana... like it was designed just for me. Nothing else much compares.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.