Print Thread
Hop To
#8760368 04/08/14
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm fixin' to load me up some Lyman 475gr #457121 bullets (the Parker Hale bullet) for my Sharps.

Paladin was here for the Gathering last weekend and he walked me through casting my first bullets. I think they came out just fine. grin

[Linked Image]

Since I don't have the Sharps yet, I loaded a few into .458WM cases over some 5744 to see how they shoot in that rifle.

Not to worry, fellas, I'll be using Holy Black for the Sharps. I have NO desire to be in the same room as Nancy Pelosi, clothed or otherwise! sick eek

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 04/08/14. Reason: too many eds

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would suggest you don't load any of those for your Shiloh unti it gets there, and you can see how much throat you have to play with. Otherwise you may find yourself back to the drawing board trying to seat the bullets deeper, and that don't work real well with bp.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Got it.

Is it best to start with the bullet just touching the lands or is a slight jump necessary? I guess what I'm asking is, is there much difference in seating for accuracy with BPCR vs. Smokeless?

Thanks,
Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your rifle will answer those questions.
I'm just forwarning you that it's doubtful you have ever encounter a rifle chamber with as tight of tolerances and the one you are about to receive. Loading ammunition ahead of time may not be the best thing to do.. Don't ask me how I know..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ed, this wood be a GREAT time to focus on the primer flash holes and properly ANNEALING your new cases.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Your rifle will answer those questions.
I'm just forwarning you that it's doubtful you have ever encounter a rifle chamber with as tight of tolerances and the one you are about to receive. Loading ammunition ahead of time may not be the best thing to do.. Don't ask me how I know..

Understood. Thanks.

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Ed, this wood be a GREAT time to focus on the primer flash holes and properly ANNEALING your new cases.

GTC

I get the annealing, but what's the deal with the primer flash holes?

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
De-burr, and PIN guage em'.

Whatever the largest aggregate nominal turns out to be, UNIFORM them with the right number drill.

.45-70 cases are NOT made to the standards that some of the racier and reputedly more "accurate" calibers are.

I like having my rim thicknesses DEAD NUTS, Too.

Picky details, alla' that.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good lookin' bullets, my friend!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you, sir! I think a batch of the Lyman # 457125 (500gr Gov't Bullet)is next on the agenda. It doesn't take long to go through twenty pounds of alloy with these monsters. grin

Ed

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Thank you, sir! It doesn't take long to go through twenty pounds of alloy with these monsters. grin

Ed

grinWait'll ya have a dump truck full of blackpowder pull up to yer cave grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I make frequent enough bidness trips to NW Arkansas to make Powder, Inc a regular stop. A Tundra can carry a LOT of BP. grin

It's just money...

Ed

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I had more dollars, I'd have a more cavalier attitude toward trading them for powder and lead.

Only one thing to do. Go back to work.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Not necessarily. I sold a couple of guns that had become safe queens and have scrounged stick-on wheel weights from an auto repair shop and old rolls of solder from garage & estate sales.

Once all of that is gone, I will go back to selling my body and mind. grin

Ed

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"fixin' to"

You need to 'decipher' that term as most YANKEES won't know what the hell you're talking about!! grin

Even birds know not to land downwind!
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
"fixin to"is like explaining how "Grant took Richmond".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

580 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.