Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 120 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 119 120
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by battue

What I take from that is if Statins can cause inflammation of leg muscles, can they also cause inflammation of brain cells and the corresponding decrease of cholesterol possibly have detrimental consequences on the brain?

Just throwing that out there. Perhaps the Docs can give some insight.

Well, they sure as hell cause diabetes. Alzheimer's is referred to by many researcher now as "Type III Diabetes".

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Statins cause diabetes?

Got links?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Statins cause diabetes?

Got links?

One of bunches:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/756688

When you read that article, you will quickly realize how "pro-statin" the authors are, so for them to not be able to figure out a way to crush this research is telling.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
that's funny, I was just gonna send you a PM about Red Rocks. When do you go? Tomorrow is a no-go, but Sunday may work, let me know.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
thanks for the link, I will check it out.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gave Turmeric a quick look and will go into it further. Some scoff at such things, however they are making a mistake.

There are no natural drugs in that every thing that works does so because of some medicinal compound. Two common examples are digitalis and statin compounds.
Digitalis bark or leaves-I can't remember which-was chewed on by ancients for a weak heart. Red Rice yeast, which many think is a natural way to reduce cholesterol works because it contains the active ingredient in lovastatin and will have the same precautions and side effects. Problem is there are no standardizations when it comes to the so called naturals.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Didn't go to the gym so ended up with an 80 min hike with a 35 pound pack and two good hills.Three good days in a row of cardio and legs, so will try some moderate weights tomorrow.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did cardio mid-day and a 3-mile hike after work.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by smokepole
Statins cause diabetes?

Got links?

One of bunches:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/756688

When you read that article, you will quickly realize how "pro-statin" the authors are, so for them to not be able to figure out a way to crush this research is telling.

T_A_K, is there any way you could cut and paste the article? The website wants me to sign up for a subscription.

Thanks.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hello, this is Dr. JoAnn Manson, Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital. I would like to talk with you today about a recently published study on the link between cholesterol-lowering statin medications and an increased risk for new-onset diabetes. A paper was just published online in the January 9 issue of Archives of Internal Medicine.[1] Along with my colleagues, I looked at this question in the Women's Health Initiative observational analysis of more than 153,000 women, ages 50-79 at baseline. During follow-up, more than 10,000 cases of diabetes were diagnosed.

We found that statin therapy -- statins of all types -- were associated with an increased risk for diabetes, about 48% overall, or moderate increase in risk. This was similar to the magnitude seen between rosuvastatin and diabetes risk in the JUPITER trial, and meta-analyses of randomized trials have further supported that there may be an increased risk for diabetes with a very wide range of statins. This could be a medication class effect.

Our analyses similarly suggested that this could be a medication class effect that was relevant to all forms of statins. We found increased risk for diabetes with both low-potency and high-potency statins across the board, but no clear relationship with dose or with duration of therapy.

What are the implications of these findings? We don't think the findings should change clinical practice guidelines, because for the vast majority of patients who are on statins, the benefits are expected to outweigh the risks. Statins are very effective at lowering risk for heart disease and stroke. We hope that the public and patients won't be alarmed about these findings and abruptly stop taking their statin medications. But we do believe that the findings should lead to increased vigilance about testing for diabetes in patients who are on statins and that the awareness of this link is important. Patients are aware of it and they are aware of some symptoms of diabetes to look for (increased thirst, increased frequency of urination, blurred vision, etc.) and they may be more likely to report these symptoms to their clinicians and have diabetes diagnosed earlier than it might be otherwise.

We hope this research will stimulate additional studies to understand the mechanisms involved. Is this at the level of the liver, the pancreas, the tissue's response to insulin? We also hope that it will spur development of new statins or new medications that won't be associated with these adverse events. We also hope for research that will indicate ways to minimize or avoid these risks altogether.

For those who advocate even more widespread use of statins -- virtually "putting statins in the water supply" -- these findings give pause and suggest that perhaps if statins are used even more widely in those at lower risk and from very early ages, at some point this increased risk for diabetes could begin to offset some of the benefits of statins, unless new statins are developed without this risk or new medications are found to be of comparable benefit without the increased risk for diabetes.

So, overall, there are some clinical implications, but we definitely do not think that this should lead to abrupt stopping of statin medications. Thank you very much for listening. This is Dr. JoAnn Manson.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here is another:

Statins Associated With Significant Increase in Diabetes Risk

Michael O'Riordan
January 09, 2012

Comment

Print
Email

Editors' Recommendations

How Do New Statin Guidelines Affect Diabetes Care?
Statin Refill by Patient Portal Ups Adherence in Diabetes
Two Studies Address Diabetes Risks With Statins--One Good News, One So-So

Topic Alert

Receive an email from Medscape whenever new articles on this topic are available.

Personal Alert Add Lipids Management to My Topic Alert

Drug & Reference Information

Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic State
Diabetic Lumbosacral Plexopathy
Somogyi Phenomenon

January 9, 2012 (Boston, Massachusetts) � Statin use in postmenopausal women is associated with a significantly increased risk of diabetes mellitus, research shows [1]. New data from the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) hints that the risk of diabetes is higher than suggested by previous studies, with investigators reporting a 48% increased risk of diabetes among the women taking the lipid-lowering medications.

"With this study, what we're seeing is that the risk of diabetes is particularly high in elderly women, and this risk is much larger than was observed in another previous meta-analysis," senior investigator Dr Yunsheng Ma (University of Massachusetts Medical School, Boston) told heartwire . "For doctors treating patients, we would like them to really look at the risk-benefit analysis, especially in different age groups, such as older women."

Annie Culver (Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN), a pharmacist and lead investigator of the study, published online January 9, 2012 in the Archives of Internal Medicine, said that "close monitoring and an individualized risk-versus-benefit assessment is really a good thing, as well as an emphasis on continued lifestyle changes." Culver added that as the population ages, and because these patients have a higher vulnerability to diabetes anyway, monitoring for diabetes in statin-treated patients becomes more important.

"I think the risk [of diabetes] is definitely there for statins," Culver told heartwire , "and I think physicians are probably aware of this risk. I think we now need more information and more research about precisely how this risk translates to different people and different populations."

Previously Published Data on Statins and Diabetes Risk

Recently published data reported by heartwire highlighted the potential risk of diabetes with statin therapy. In June, Dr Kausik Ray (St George's University of London, UK) and colleagues published a meta-analysis of PROVE-IT, A to Z, TNT, IDEAL, and SEARCH--five trials testing high-dose statin therapy--and found a significant increase in risk of diabetes with higher doses of the lipid-lowering drugs. A meta-analysis published in the Lancet in 2010 by Dr Naveed Sattar (University of Glasgow, UK) also showed that statin therapy was associated with a 9% increased risk of diabetes.

In the present study, Culver, Ma, and colleagues analyzed data from the WHI, an analysis that included 153 840 postmenopausal women aged 50�79 years old. Information about statin use was obtained at enrollment and year three; the current analysis includes data up until 2005. At baseline, 7.0% of women were taking statins, with 30% of women taking simvastatin, 27% taking lovastatin, 22% taking pravastatin, 12.5% taking fluvastatin, and 8% taking atorvastatin. During the study period, 10 242 incident cases of diabetes were reported.

In an unadjusted risk model, statin use at baseline was associated with a 71% (95% CI 1.61�1.83) increased risk of diabetes. After adjusting for potential confounding variables, the risk of diabetes associated with statin therapy declined to 48% (95% CI 1.38�1.59). The association was observed for all types of statins.

"The association between diabetes risk and statin therapy was not observed with any one type of statin, and it seems to be a class effect," said Ma.

Subgroup Risk

A significantly increased risk of diabetes was observed in white, Hispanic, and Asian women (an increased risk of 49%, 57%, and 78%, respectively). Among African Americans, who made up 8.3% of the population studied, there was a nonsignificant 18% increased diabetes risk associated with statin use at baseline. Statin use and diabetes risk was also observed in women across a range of body mass indices (BMIs <25.0, 25.0�29.9, and >30.0 kg/m2). Women with the lowest BMI (<25.0 kg/m2), appeared to be at higher risk of diabetes compared with obese women, a finding the investigators speculate is related to phenotype or hormonal differences between the women.

In an editorial [2], Dr Kirsten Johansen (University of California, San Francisco), Editor of the Archives, noted that the increased risk of diabetes in women without CVD has "important implications for the balance of risk and benefit of statins in the setting of primary prevention in which previous meta-analyses show no benefit on all-cause mortality."

Ma agreed, noting to heartwire that statins are used with increasing frequency, including in primary prevention, and--based on the JUPITER trial--in patients with normal LDL cholesterol, but elevated C-reactive protein (>2.0 mg/L). In the present study, baseline statin therapy was associated with a significant 46% and 48% increased risk of diabetes in women with CVD and without CVD, respectively.

Just 7% of women in the WHI study were taking statins in the analysis, but today that number would be significantly higher, making the potential risk of diabetes at the population level much more widespread. Ma said that physicians need to evaluate the risk of diabetes as well as the potential benefits of statin therapy in elderly female patients, and start statins after lifestyle interventions have been attempted.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That was actually the same study cited in the first link, and it was done on post-menopausal women.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Had a nice clean PR this week at 286, getting pretty close to my 1.5 BW goal, and was feeling pretty good about myself.

Then yesterday I watched a guy a handful of pounds heavier than I (a 94 k lifter) clean and jerk 401 lbs. Keeps things in perspective!

Empirical results rule!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

Then yesterday I watched a guy a handful of pounds heavier than I (a 94 k lifter) clean and jerk 401 lbs. Keeps things in perspective!

Yeah, but how fast can he run a mile? Five miles? That also helps keep things in perspective.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was in slug mode the last two days. I did a cameo at the gym and got on the Nautilus Stepmill for 24min of intervals. Rest rate of 60 steps and work rate of 80. HR barely broke 160 at the last work interval so I guess its time to take it up a notch.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
30 minutes of intervals on the Concept2 and some light chest, back and legs on weight machines.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the downside - still fighting the plague I've had for 2+ weeks.
On the upside - latest CT shows still cancer free, spent about 3 hours splitting and stacking firewood, did some yardwork, went fishing, been able to start shooting one of my heavier recurve bows, and "ran" intervals this morning.
Its been a good couple days.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Saw a trainer on Saturday, she gave me some new stuff to do with lower body to recruit more glute. Yesterday was a 3-mile death march in a blizzard of horizontal snow. It was so bad, I not only sprouted snot-cicles, but eyebrow-cicles too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
Had a nice clean PR this week at 286, getting pretty close to my 1.5 BW goal, and was feeling pretty good about myself.

Congrats on the PR! If, and that's a big IF, I could clean that much I'd be at 1.0 BW... laugh I'm guessing that guy'd have no problem shrugging into a pack with anything the pack could hold. That's an impressive C&J.

Warmup:
Shoulder exercises with bands

Skill:
Max pullups
8 (with bands)

Workout:
AMRAP (rounds) 14 min
10 pullups
20 pushups
30 squats

4 + to 11 squats on round 5.

Page 28 of 120 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 3,345 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.