Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Cooked a 6 lb. prime rib yesterday.
According to the "book" I needed to cook at 350 for 20 minutes per lb. = 180 minutes or 3 hours, to get medium rare.

Checked temp. at 2.5 hours, and it was 170 degrees already, and well done instead of medium rare.
Should have been pulled at 130 degrees. (CRAP!)
Forgot to factor in pulling it out of the fridge two hours before cooking, to let it get to room temp. BIG mistake!!!

It was still eatable, but not great like it would have been

Valuable lesson learned here!!

Virgil B.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just did a 12 pounder yesterday. Went 325* for 15 minutes per pound starting with a room temp piece of meat. At three hours I pulled when the internal temp was 120* and let rest loosely tented with foil for 30-45 minutes. The center cuts measured 130* with my Thermapen before slicing.

I can see how you had problems at 350* for 20 minutes a pound. For a roast that size I would probably figure on 10-12 minutes a pound. Did you cook it in the oven or on a grill/smoker?

Sucks to ruin a nice piece of meat like that!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Uncle's Prime Rib Recipe

8 lb with bone
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp season salt
1 tsp black pepper
Cooking oil

Preheat oven to 425*. Coat with oil. Combine dry ingredients and apply to raost. Cook for 1 hour. Shut off oven leaving roast inside. Bring back to 325* 1 hour before serving.

It turns out great every time. Just adjust the times a bit for the size of roast you have

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
your math is what is wrong. 20 minutes per pound x 6 lbs = 120 minutes, or 2 hours, not 3.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rpowell
your math is what is wrong. 20 minutes per pound x 6 lbs = 120 minutes, or 2 hours, not 3.

Yeah, that's a long time to cook a 6lb prime rib. eek

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Convection oven at 550 degrees. Place in oven 15 minutes then pull the meat out. This sears the outside.

Turn the oven down to 275. Leave the oven door open until it drops to that temp. Then place the meat back in the over after it cools down.

Cook with meat thermometer until 130-135 degrees in the middle. Let sit at least 15-20 minutes before slicing.

The most important thing is to raise the meat to room temp before cooking to get a wide red interior,can take 2-3 hours to bring up to room temp before placing in oven.

You will have well done on the ends. Medium inside of that. Medium rare inside of that .

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry for the expensive lesson. I know your pain. I do it similer to others. 500 for 10-15 for a small roast, up to 30 for a large one. 300 till it hits 120 in the thickest part and rest for at least 30 minutes. Even a full eight bone will seldom need more than 2 1/2 hours. It will not cool off too much and does not need to be served sizzling hot anyways.

Good luck on your next one.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys!

I need to watch my math a little closer!! (GURRRR!)

Got some GREAT ideas for next time.
And YES, it was very disappointing to over cook a $65. chunk of meat.

Virgil B.

Forgot to add: it was "cremated" in an oven.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I use a method somewhat similar to Gibby's except I start the roast at a lower temp.(250) and when center temp. is 120 I pull the meat out then run the oven temp. up to 500.Put meat back in then pulling roast out when internal temp reads 130. about 10-15min. This method allows for an almost even color all the way through.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like to cook them on my rotisserie on the grill with a bit of smoke. Juices always overlap it as it turns and cooks. I start it with all four burners on to sear it then turn the middle off and slow cook using the outside burners. I rub them down with EVOO it then apply my rub, then let it marinate over night. Get her out let her warm up for 2 hours before cooking.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I'll bet rotisserie method is great. Got to try it. My wife will like not having a mess in her oven too.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by eh76

8 lb with bone
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp season salt
1 tsp black pepper
Cooking oil

Preheat oven to 425*. Coat with oil. Combine dry ingredients and apply to raost. Cook for 1 hour. Shut off oven leaving roast inside. Bring back to 325* 1 hour before serving.

It turns out great every time. Just adjust the times a bit for the size of roast you have

This^^^^^^^^

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by super T
I use a method somewhat similar to Gibby's except I start the roast at a lower temp.(250) and when center temp. is 120 I pull the meat out then run the oven temp. up to 500.Put meat back in then pulling roast out when internal temp reads 130. about 10-15min. This method allows for an almost even color all the way through.

I have tried it this way also. Works very well.

If I am cooking for the extended family with a full roast, I will cut it in half. Pin the two small ends together and make a "tunnel" with the two pieces. It makes the small ends cook more evenly.

Bringing the roast to room temperature before cooking seems to be an important part, no matter how you do it.

I do not use time. I like the meat thermometer method better.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Batchief909
Originally Posted by eh76

8 lb with bone
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp season salt
1 tsp black pepper
Cooking oil

This^^^^^^^^

Mom had a recipe like this. It was called, "No Peekie Roast Beefie".

She would duct-tape the oven door shut, & warn us to stay the hell away.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll bet rotisserie method is great. Got to try it. My wife will like not having a mess in her oven too.
u best try a hunk of meat that big ...so to be sure the tiss can turn it! ...been down that road

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If you make a mess in the oven your roasting pan is too small. If she complains about the mess after you make prime rib..........well.

Sean
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Prime Rib?!?!?

With the current beef prices, who can afford it... OR more realistically, who WANTS to afford it?!?

Like Gilby, I use an "Instant Read" meat thermometer near the end of the cooking time.

First, I take the roast outta the 'frig and let it sit a couple of hours to bring it's internal temperature up to near room temperature.

I pre-heat the oven to 450� and while it's heating up, I coat the roast all over with melted butter, then start the roast out at 450� for 20 minutes, then turn down the oven to 275� and let the roast sit in the oven until the oven turns "on" again.

Then, after about an hour or so (depending on the roast's size), I check the roast with the Instant Read thermometer and the roast is usually a little over 110� (depending on the size of the roast). Sometimes, with a smaller prime rib roast, it's up to 120�... so I keep roasting it @ 275�.

After that, I check the roast's temperature about every 15 or 20 minutes (more or less) until the internal temperature hits 130-135�... and then I take the roast out of the oven and let it "rest" for 15 minutes or so... then slice it down, pour the extra meat juices into the already prepared "Sauce Chasseur" ("Hunter's Sauce" - a very yummy reduced beef broth. shallot, butter, mushroom, tarragon, wine sauce) & serve everything which includes a Saut� of Fresh Match-Stick Vegetables (mushrooms, shallots, turnips, carrots, butter & a cup of Baringer's Chenin Blanc wine) served "al dente". YUMMY !~!~! grin

Jus' fixed it a couple of nights ago and served it with a nice red Merlot wine... it was delicious, but I'm not telling anyone!!!

That's my "story"... and I'm sticking to it !~!~! (Suffer, knaves) grin grin grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ron-

Like you, I will help people with my cooking methods.

But when it comes to making the "Au Jus", I have to stop there.

I would not have to kill anyone after telling them the recipe.

You did make me hungry though!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like to also put in a little Au Jus, beef bouillon (paste style), and Red Pepper 16 mesh. Mix it in a just a little bit of water so it's nice an strong and coat the roast before my rub goes on.

I have found the best way is a rotisserie plain and simple. Clean up is a breeze and the little taste of smoke is to die for. Sure it leaves a mall mark in the center but oh well. I cut off the rib then tie it back on for easier removal after cooking. The biggest PITA is making sure it's weight is centered so they don't plop around, but once you get that figured out cooking is easy.

Don't forget to remove the grate before cooking and have that nice cold adult beverage whilst awaiting the joy.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Gibby
Ron-

Like you, I will help people with my cooking methods.

But when it comes to making the "Au Jus", I have to stop there.

I would not have to kill anyone after telling them the recipe.

You did make me hungry though!

Actually, Gibby...

Sauce Chasseur (Hunter's Sauce) is not "au Jus"... it is a tarragon sauce I use when making London Broil (which is properly made with flank steak).

However, I like the Hunter Sauce so much I often make it with almost any kind of beef roast. In truth, it is nothing more than a very nice tarragon sauce made with beef broth (reduced 50% to intensify the "beefy" flavor) together with sliced mushrooms, minced shallots and Chenin Blanc wine although Hunter's Sauce is normally made with a dry white wine like Chablis or even Fum� Blanc.

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 204guy, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,530
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.