-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After multiple meeting, letters and emails to and with the Idaho Fish and Game the commissioner has gone against the majority vote and made Unit 54 an Unlimited Draw. Numbers from their own survey show an overwhelming number of hunters asking that the hunt stay the same yet the IDFG went against the majority. Here are some highlights from IDFG meetings and surveys. The entire report can be found at http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=3d97a4b2fcabcc0a7ce6eb199&id=30d1b7345d&e=6bf444cc30

Meeting attendees showed strong support for no-change to the Unit 54 deer archery season. Several hunters commented that they didn�t like the idea of being limited to one unit and having only 1-month to hunt.

In all, 314 hunters weighed in on the Unit 54 archery season options via public meetings or the Fish and Game website; 162 (52%) supported no change and 152 (48%) supported a change to an unlimited controlled hunt. [I][/I]In the 2013 opinion survey, 13% of the respondents favored a change to an unlimited controlled hunt, 25% did not favor but would accept a change to an unlimited controlled hunt, and 62% would not accept an unlimited controlled hunt.

Here is the IDF&G Action: So what to do? The substantial increase in Unit 54 bowhunters is obvious and brings with it increasing concerns of hunting quality. Most of the Unit 54 hunters come from the Magic Valley and the valley population continues to grow. After lengthy discussions, the Department proposed and Fish and Game Commission approved changing the general deer archery season in Unit 54 to an unlimited controlled hunt for 2014.

Here is my response letter emailed to the IDFG:

Dear Sirs, 4/2/2014

I am truly disappointed with the IDFG�s decision to make Unit 54 an unlimited draw archery hunt. I have a very difficult time understanding how IDF&G has taken survey data and comments from hundreds of sportsmen and ignored it in favor of greasing a couple of squeaky wheels.

Data presented during meetings at Advantage Archery and at the IDF&G regional office do not support this decision. Data showing that the issue is not over harvest from bowhunters. Data stating that the vast majority of hunters surveyed wanted the unit to remain �as is� (no unlimited draw) have been completely ignored. The only item on the table appears to be complaints about the number of bowhunters.

According to IDF&G data from 2012 there were 855 archers in Unit 54. Of those 855 archers 85 killed bucks, of those 85 � 30 were 4 points and 6 were 5 points. In a unit with numbers like unit 54 that is a drop in the bucket reconfirming that harvest is not the issue. With harvest numbers not an issue that points us back to the number of archers. While the number 855 sound like a lot, I would like to point out that not all of those hunters are out at the same time. I would also like to bring to your attention that Unit 54 contains approximately 1,200 square miles. If we assume that every one of those 855 archers were out on the same day, each archer would have 1.4 miles to himself! In my experience 50%-60% of that 855 number are out opening weekend and after that the number is closer to 10% on weekends and less than that on week days. At 10% that leaves 14 square miles per archer! Still sound over crowded? We all understand that not all of this unit contains deer, but a very large portion does support animals. I have hunted Unit 54 (both rifle and archery) for over 30 years � the same was true then as it is now, there are popular areas that get pressured. But there are also areas that receive minimal pressure. All that has to be done to reach the minimal pressure areas is to get out of the car or off the 4 wheeler and walk a little. That is no reason to eliminate the opportunity.

The reason people gravitate to bowhunting, muzzleloading, etc. is to provide additional opportunity. Opportunity provides time afield with friends and family. Your decision to convert to Unlimited Draw hunts tremendously limit these opportunities. I find that truly unfortunate.

I, like many, put in for the rifle controlled hunt in unit 54. When I do not draw, I casually bowhunt. If that does not produce, I participate in general rifle hunts. Your decision to make this unit an Unlimited Draw has taken away the very opportunity that limited range weapons are supposed to provide. I seen now that the old timers were correct and attending IDF&G meetings is a waste of time. It has become obvious to me that IDF&G had the decision made long before any of these meetings took place and that IDF&G does not find value in opinions of the sportsmen they are supposed to represent.

I am not alone in this thought process. Unfortunately many are not willing to take the time to tell you what they really think.

IF this ticks you off like it did me - please get on the Idaho Fish and Game website and tell them what you think. This is just the beginning - the IDF&G is looking to make all of Southern Idaho archery hunts Unlimited draw units. The harvest statistics do not support this action.

Last edited by centershot; 04/10/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Can't you put the unlimited control hunt as your second option and draw it if you don't draw the rifle tag?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, but.........that is all you can do. As it was one could hunt in the archery season then have other options if that did not work out. With the new rules you will be limited to a single unit and timeframe within that single unit. The entire deer season could be over September 30 - before fall even starts whether you harvest or not. No open rifle hunts, no other archery hunts later in the season, etc. The ruling was not done because of harvest numbers - there is no biological reason, that is what really bugs me. and if you don't hunt Unit 54 - you'd better not just say "I don't hunt there, this does not affect me" because within the next 5 years every unit in the state will be a draw only hunt. Don't believe it? Just look what they did here - No biological/harvest number issues, Hunters did not support it, The Idaho Fish and Game ignored the data, ignored the sportsmen and crammed it down our throats - your unit is next.....

Last edited by centershot; 04/10/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sounds like a screwed up system all around
They should just let anyone with a license hunt anywhere and anytime during open season, like most states do

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe it will become like Minnesota, where you get to buy the weapon tag. It blows not being able to bow hunt the entire state.Been like that for elk for years.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They have jacked-up, all seasons for everyone. Its toss up between money and management as there goal. Money seems to be winning.

I USE to go to the meetings also, you are right that did no good anyhow.

I have sent a few emails voicing my concerns Even got a phone call from a supposed 'biologist' that works for the fish and game on one of my wolf vs. laws and all game in idaho. We did get some answers but by the end of the call, was still ran in a circle.

Does no good to voice concern. Its the IDFG's job security program for wardens, biologists and others that are employed by the IDFG that need opposition, create questions, make up answers, attempt of management and uphold there self-implied laws and make there self-implied rules. They do not need help with that. So they make nice by acting they need imput, they are given and gather input and go the complete opposite direction anyway....thus creating more opposition, questions, fake answers, mismanagement and more laws.... That's the trend I have noticed.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think you are correct boomwach. The regs were already written by the time they had the meeting. The IDF&G listened to a couple of people with Commercial interests in our area and thought that was what everyone wanted. What they found was the opposite as their own survey showed. In the end more control and another $6.75 for a controlled hunt application fee is what the IDF&G wanted and got - no matter that 62% of the hunters surveyed said no and 13% said yes. This may very well backfire on them, instead of an $18.25 Archery Permit, $19.75 Deer Tag, and $6.75 Controlled Hunt Application Fee - how many will say to hell with the whole damn thing. One of my buddies said it very well when he stated "No wonder young hunter numbers are so poor, they keep pissing off the older mentors and they don't take the kids out anymore".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 36 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,051
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.