Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Cheesy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've bought a couple box calls and mouth calls that when used just sound too high pitched to me. I'm a total novice turkey hunter do don't really know though. Read some articles that said high pitched us good and often gets them to talk when others don't. Dad thinks my glass call us too low. Yet we killed turkey's with it and high pitched ones this weekend. Is that the answer to the question, it doesn't really matter?

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Higher pitches usually mean younger hens. Lower fuller pitches are associated with boss hens and toms.

Its hard to argue with success. The evidence does suggest that in at least your case, it isnt mattering.

Different materials, and different strikers on those materials will create different pitches yes.

Its like football...any given sunday...the jerks-i mean turks, will choose to care or not.

My experience has shown me if youre making turkey sounds, they'll show up, regardless of the pitch.

But it does change from day to day. Thats why most hunters carry more than one go to call to the woods. Diff'rent strokes to fool the woooorld.

Last edited by WillARights; 04/14/14.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My glass slate is what seems to work most often for me, and I totally agree with Will above in that from one turkey to the next, what works or doesn't may be totally different sounding. I've had birds in view that totally disregard one call only to come on a string a moment later to a different sounding call. I've seen a single gobbler break away and come from a group of several gobblers when I changed calls.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have my best success with an aluminum over glass with purple heart when running a pot call. It's pretty dang high pitched and toms seem to like it more than the duller tones at times. Enough so that I mostly run just that call or a diaphram. I like my diaphrams high as well. You have to go with what works for you. Hen turkeys are all over the charts in pitch. I've heard a bunch of hens that sounded horrible, but you know they ain't having any hard times getn laid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sold on high pitch box and pot calls. I only use a mouth call as a finish call when the birds are close.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
High pitch, sweeter, younger hen calls are usually for Spring and love talk.

Lower pitch, throaty, uglier tone calls are usually Fall calls. But dont have to be exclusive to the season.

Depending on technique/ strategy youre using, Are you calling to the tom or the boss hens.? Then use the correct tone accordingly.

Sometimes calling either will bring Ol'Archy to the flame end of your gun.

Last edited by WillARights; 04/14/14.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't mind the higher pitched calls. The deep, raspy calls are usually Jakes, from what I've witnessed in the woods.

The real high pitch seems to "cut" the windy days better. I have an aluminum bodied glass call from M.A.D. Calls that you can hurt your ears with it's so high pitch, but some days, that's what works.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Hen turkeys are all over the charts in pitch. I've heard a bunch of hens that sounded horrible, but you know they ain't having any hard times getn laid.

Ain't that the truth! A few years back I was on private land, bordering some timber company, public land. I hears some yelps that were flat out sorry sounding. I though it was another hunter. I was sitting there trying to fiure out if I wanted to move and let him hunt the spot, when I saw a few hens coming through the pines. One of them yelping the sorry sounding yelps I heard a few minutes before. I couldn't believe a turkey could sound that bad. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I participate in K.A.M.O. and the kids are most generally inexperinced with turkey calling and I like to start them out with the M.A.D. Egg. After I demonstrate what a turkey should sound like to me, I turn it over to them. I gotta laugh because many get the egg a screeching high pitched tones in their enthusiasm and here come the toms. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Until you hear how quiet the hens are in the trees in the morning, you just don't know how loud you probably are. I don't usually call loud until mid-day, or the last day or two when I need to get agressive.

I'll yelp a couple times quietly. If I get ANY sort of answer I shut-up and let the hens do the work for me.

Last srping my son squawked on the glass call and we got an answer easily 1/4 mile away. We waited 10-15 minutes and did a few more and he answered again from the same spot. 20 minutes later, I saw him cross the road into the field we were sitting on. It took him a few minutes but he picked bugs and grains on the way to us. We popped him at 30 yards. They KNOW where you're at if they answer you. That's for sure.

The only time I have trouble and feel like I need a real high pith is on windy days.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No two turkeys sound the same and most callers sound better than the real thing. Experiment with different calls and different pitches. From personal experience what they like one day they may not the next day that is why you should carry different calls that have different pitches. I think rhythm in turkey calling means as much as the sound.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've found that pitch and tone varies among turkey while rhythm and sequence does not. I like to use several calls with different pitch and tone to sound like a flock of birds rather than one lone hen.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Many years ago I was calling from this sport with a Lynch. After a couple of hours with no response I decided to change calls. I made one call with a Paul Meek little cedar box call which has a high pitch and all H-- broke loose. A hen started sounding off real loud and came running in but she brought 3 good Toms with her. I dropped the best one. Even after the shot, another Tom tried to come in calling like crazy. You better believe that I carry a variety of calls with me now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.