Print Thread
Hop To
#8777903 04/14/14
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been chasing this guy since the Youth hunt several weeks back. Called him off non hunted private land twice, but couldn't make it happen even though he was in spitn distance once and only 45yds the second time. He was bad henned up for a few weeks, I only got him to bust off the flock those two times mid day. Then, the sneaky rascal went MIA for a few hunts. Anyway, the story goes...

I went to a good listening spot on a gas line about 400yds from where I had a couple run ins with the big guy, but nothing talking at day break. I finally heard one about as far off as he could be on private, so no go. The wind started picking up and I heard another that was closer, but still way off. After a bit, I decided to beat it about 10 miles down the rd to my family land for a listen. I hit a few spots and nothing doing, all my usual honey holes are dry this year for some reason. I figured heck, that 1st spot is as good as any, so i headed back over to hit the place I'd got on the big guy opening week and there was a truck already there. I decided to just put some miles in and took off walking down some trails in the area I'd never hunted calling blind as I went. I ended up popping out where I started listening this morn and I'll be darned if some toms had walked down that gas line ROW while I was out looking elsewhere. They must have come twds my calling at daybreak, but they never talked. I headed back out to the car and drove around to where that gas line crosses a dirt rd and cut their tracks, so I knew they'd covered some ground. It was private there, so I had to move on. After trying a few other dry spots and not finding much sign, I went back to where I started about 230 and decided to break out the turkey thug lounge chair and sit the rest of the day in case those toms came back through to roost this eve. I'd call every five mins or so, but bout 3 I was getn sleepy in that chair. I pulled down my face mask and looked at my phone and started to think man, nearly 5hrs til dark, this might be a long sit for nothing. About that time I look out in the gas line and 3 toms are standing there 35yds out!! They'd come in quiet as a church mouse to me calling sporadically(no shock in the eve). I actually had my gun in my lap, but besides that I was about as prepared as when taking a wiz. They had luckily come in from the direction I had the best cover, but when they got to where they were standing they knew somin was up. The big guy finally took a couple steps and got behind some brush. I had open shots either side and nothing but a wall of thicket behind him, so I made my move slowly with the gun. About the time I got the gun in position he took off walking and as soon as he hit an open lane at 35yds, I mailed him some HW7s.

Turned out to be a pretty nice tom. 11-3/16" beard, 1-1/8" long spur, 16lbs. Sure was a light weight. I later found an old lead shot healed over in his breast. Maybe that contributed to his small size, who knows. I'm sure it probably helped with his sneakiness the past several weeks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great bird, heck of a beard! Congrats on getting it done.

Golden............
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
YES!!

Way to hunt em down, brother. And another great picture.

I would suggest that his light weight is because he's a fairly old bird. His various feather lengths suggest hes no two or three year old.

But thats only based on my examining various birds, and feathers. Nothing scientific. Sometimes the beard get rotted, worn off, or doesn't get as long as we think it should to better hint at the age.

Last edited by WillARights; 04/14/14.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sweet!!! Congrats on a fine bird.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome story, awesome hunt, awesome bird! You hunt like I do, "It ain't over til its over". Good job dude!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just like you planned it, right? Congrats!

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Glad you got this one I know he has been messing with you.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks guys!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done! I'm really starting to get the itch for some turkey hunting. Plan on scratching that next weekend.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 33 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.