Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
[Linked Image]

Here's a more recent group. Shot on Friday, same load of TAC and the 50gr Nosler BT. 4 shots, from the magazine, off the bench with a sandbag front rest; no rear rest. Leupold FXIII 6x42 competition scope. This group was rounds 74-77 through the rifle. I haven't cleaned the barrel yet, and don't intend to until I see accuracy begin to drop off.

All in all I'm continuing to enjoy this rifle, with the exception of the very stiff bolt lift that makes the rifle hard to cycle quickly when shooting off-hand. If I decide to get rid of the rifle that will be the main factor driving the decision.

Looking great, but I have to ask: Why no rear bag??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
This is what I needed to see, a good report on the 223. Just purchased one myself. I have the same Burris rings and my scope will be a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 Boone & Crocket reticle. A seller on gunbroker listed the 223 with a 8 twist. Will have to check my barrel.

Ken

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Oregon45
[Linked Image]

Here's a more recent group. Shot on Friday, same load of TAC and the 50gr Nosler BT. 4 shots, from the magazine, off the bench with a sandbag front rest; no rear rest. Leupold FXIII 6x42 competition scope. This group was rounds 74-77 through the rifle. I haven't cleaned the barrel yet, and don't intend to until I see accuracy begin to drop off.

All in all I'm continuing to enjoy this rifle, with the exception of the very stiff bolt lift that makes the rifle hard to cycle quickly when shooting off-hand. If I decide to get rid of the rifle that will be the main factor driving the decision.

Looking great, but I have to ask: Why no rear bag??

I try to keep bench shooting as realistic as possible. Usually I'd use a tight sling for support but the Ruger's forearm has too much flex so I used a front bag, similar to how I might use a hunting pack if shooting prone in the field.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The best way to handle flexible forearms is to glue the forend to the barrel using automotive silicon. I like black. You are then using the barrel to stiffen up the stock, the silicon being flexible dampens vibration a bit. Works perfectly with bipods though if you try the really tight sling shooting style it may cause your point of impact to get a bit lower. You can easily remove the silicon by sawing a piece of 12 pound test fishing line thru it. I reccomend cleaning, drying and putting a thin coat of polyurethane on the metal below the stock line first to remove any chance of rust developing and making it unnecessary to remove the stock for a long time.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll be getting my compact next week, probably gonna slap a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 on it and use the stock rings and bases on it to keep with the cheap truck gun/kids first deer rifle philosophy, can't wait to get it up and running!

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 44mc, Ashworth, 10 invisible), 1,258 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,262
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.