Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CraigC
STFU.

Not until you calm down.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hmmm. Probably nobody cares, but - and I hesitate to go on record saying this - I think Travis is right on the money. Find some cooler heads, and let them prevail. Insulting folks is not what this should be about, huh?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JUST CHILL

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'll go on record by saying that this is one of the dumbest exchanges I've ever been a part of.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CraigC
I'll go on record by saying that this is one of the dumbest exchanges I've ever been a part of.

I'll agree.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well...

...I vote for adequate penetration.

After that, the biggest practical holes, with adequate penetration...

smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think that muzzle energy is all that you should look at when selecting a handgun cartridge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
WOW! I just read Rathcoombe's FULL terminal effects bullets report! What an AMAZING piece of work! Easily, far and away, the most complete and best testing of any bullet and wounding effect report I have ever seen, and I have read a bunch of them.

Marine HAwk,

This particualr article or series of tests need to be put into a separate thread in the hunting forums here. IF you do not cite and paste it in those, may I? (with a nod and note of appreciation/acknowledgement to you for originally bringing this to my attention in this forum) sir?

safariman, It's not my stuff. I just linked it. Go ahead. It is very interesting to me because it explains and discounts a lot of theories. I learned a lot from it in an earlier version years ago. Notice the highest penetration from large meplat, moderate velocity bullets; but you can't get that at 300+ yds, so you need things like a .340 Wby with a 225gr TTSX fired at 3,160fps for that. But, for short, medium, range if one can do his part, a fat, large caliber meplat will kill/penetrate the best.

If you hit a water-based object (an animal) ant moderate+ velocity with a flat-faced bullet, as it penetrates, the tissue must spew sideways to exit the path of the flat-nosed bullet, which causes additional lateral damage. That's why big-bore, flat-nosed rounds are so deadly at shorter range.

Note, IMP the data shows why large caliber flat-nosed HC bullet do so superbly ad moderate ranges, but suggests that pointed high-velocity rifle bullets might be better (obviously) when shooting at long range. E.g., military snipers use long barreled rifles (rather than handguns) for long shot kills for a reason.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by safariman
WOW! I just read Rathcoombe's FULL terminal effects bullets report! What an AMAZING piece of work! Easily, far and away, the most complete and best testing of any bullet and wounding effect report I have ever seen, and I have read a bunch of them.

Marine HAwk,

This particualr article or series of tests need to be put into a separate thread in the hunting forums here. IF you do not cite and paste it in those, may I? (with a nod and note of appreciation/acknowledgement to you for originally bringing this to my attention in this forum) sir?

safariman, It's not my stuff. I just linked it. Go ahead. It is very interesting to me because it explains and discounts a lot of theories. I learned a lot from it in an earlier version years ago. Notice the highest penetration from large meplat, moderate velocity bullets; but you can't get that at 300+ yds, so you need things like a .340 Wby with a 225gr TTSX fired at 3,160fps for that. But, for short, medium, range if one can do his part, a fat, large caliber meplat will kill/penetrate the best.

If you hit a water-based object (an animal) ant moderate+ velocity with a flat-faced bullet, as it penetrates, the tissue must spew sideways to exit the path of the flat-nosed bullet, which causes additional lateral damage. That's why big-bore, flat-nosed rounds are so deadly at shorter range.

Note, IMP the data shows why large caliber flat-nosed HC bullet do so superbly ad moderate ranges, but suggests that pointed high-velocity rifle bullets might be better (obviously) when shooting at long range. E.g., military snipers use long barreled rifles (rather than handguns) for long shot kills for a reason.

I knew that the study links were not your original material, but very, very few folks ever even LOOK or try to understand such things like a few of us rifle nuts do. My first wife once picked up a book that I had been reading in for a couple of months and looked up at me with a shocked expression exclaiming "This whole book is full of nothing but NUMBERS! How can ANYONE look at abook of only numbers for hours at a time, for months on end!" crazy grin

RE your comment about a 225gr TTSX at 3160fps. That is my "gonna kill something today" load and rifle. And yeah, near OR far, it works really well.

If I can't kill it with my 10mm (had to work that into this reply to keep in spirit with the thread smile ) that 340 is the rifle I reach for. Unless the 416 is Really needed, or I have not shot anything with it in a long while. Did you know that a 350gr TTSX at 2750fps works really well on Tennessee hogs? Who coulda predicted that!? <G> Shot one on that trip with my 10mm at close range, and IT worked too. I wonder which theory was at play here? cool

Last edited by safariman; 04/24/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back to hunting with a 10mm.

Anyone try on of these?
http://eaacorp.com/portfolio-item/witness-hunter/
I saw the add in Shooting Times. It looks like a factory ready made 10mm hunting pistol in a six inch barrelled CZ75 clone.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Looks like a viable option. Lot of good reports on them.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I handled one when I was looking for my first 10mm semi auto. For me, I found it heavy and unwieldy but I was looking for a hunting AND CCW combo gun. For hunting only with a 10mm, that one might be a winning answer.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,828 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,832
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.