Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BarryC
If there was some way to tame the ejection...

As is, I wouldn't shoot anything but steel cased ammo in one.
Yeah, there's no gas or piston system. It's just a delayed blowback "roller lock" design. Makes it necessary to rough up the cases on ejection. Extremely reliable, though, vs a piston or gas system.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was lucky enough to find a Springfield SAR8 on a Greek EBO receiver in 2005.
$650 OTD in excellent condition. The rifle has been flawless.
Haven't seen one since....

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by krupp
I was lucky enough to find a Springfield SAR8 on a Greek EBO receiver in 2005.
$650 OTD in excellent condition. The rifle has been flawless.
Haven't seen one since....
They only made a few of those.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Didn't the SAR-8 come in two versions?

Thought one was a stamped steel and very few were made/imported, and the more common one was an aluminum casting?

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/16/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
You'll see a lot of H&K 93's in central and S. America. Ecuador as I remember and Surinam if I recall but the latter had mostly FAL's. Honduras had them as well as I recall.
You sure you don't mean 91? The 91 (G3) is ubiquitous in South and Central America, but I've never seen a 93 in military service anywhere.

I know they had them in Ecuador because we took M193 ammo there for them to shoot, I remember doing the paperwork for it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TAK, I don't know about Ecuador, but they weren't uncommon in El Salvador...or Brazil...or Portugal, Malaysia, Thailand, Spain, etc. RH just isn't calling them by the right name.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am really not well informed on these I have a CEMTE and its sitting if anyone is interested I would not mind selling it
I am not in it cheap but I am not in it too bad (I think)

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mesabi
TAK, I don't know about Ecuador, but they weren't uncommon in El Salvador...or Brazil...or Portugal, Malaysia, Thailand, Spain, etc. RH just isn't calling them by the right name.

25 countries used the 5.56 version known as the HK33 or HK53. I remember in the 1990's I had I guy in my reserve unit that was US Border Patrol an they carried a few 5.56 HK's.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
After sighting it in, accuracy with mil spec aperture sights was acceptable. A scope would likely cut the group size in half. A trigger job might cut it in half again, as the factory trigger felt like it was pushing ten pounds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sight was set to the 200 yard aperture (the 100 yard sight has a V-notch, so offering less precision, I didn't use it), therefore the group being a bit high was correct. Ammo was British military surplus 7.62 NATO.

Scopes and triggers don't make much difference at all off a bench. Unless you just can't see the front sight. It would or should not take off more than half an inch or so for a good shooter. Thats still over 3 inches.

Thats about as accurate or less so than my AK at 100 with ball also.

I don't consider that platform to be called accurate so to speak.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree the AK-103 I had would do that group with Tulammo.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The AKs Ive shot tended to have groups noticeably larger than this at 100 yards. Is yours a custom tuned AK?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A G3 clone with a good military barrel and the cocking tube adjusted to free float the barrel will shoot close to an inch at 100, maybe 1-1/2" with irons off a rest. Best way to check accuracy is to remove the forend and rest front of receiver on a rifle rest.
There are ejection bumpers or weld on port shrouds which will tame the ejection, also the deeper the rollers lock, within spec, and using the right burning rate powder will slow down the ejection cycle a little. Even though the brass looks terrible (if you can find it 30 feet away) the cases can be resized four or five times.
If you want a scope, the weld on rails are the way to go.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
TRH,

You got me checking the PTR web page, would you know who makes the barrels they use?
Also I see they offer a 'HK profile' and a heavier 'bull' barrel, I don't think it would really make much difference accuracy wise...am I wrong?

Thanks

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DW12
TRH,

You got me checking the PTR web page, would you know who makes the barrels they use?
Also I see they offer a 'HK profile' and a heavier 'bull' barrel, I don't think it would really make much difference accuracy wise...am I wrong?

Thanks
Don't know the answer to any of those questions. Sorry.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The AKs Ive shot tended to have groups noticeably larger than this at 100 yards. Is yours a custom tuned AK?

I've not shot a second hand AK, only new polytech, and thats what I actually own. I have heard some horror stories about parts guns, and used 2nd hand ones.

Of course I"ve seen the same with M1 carbines, M1s and so on. Dad said his first carbine had a smoother bore than his shotgun....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Surplus Hensoldt G3 Scopes and mounts can be had for around $500.00. That's a steal if you ask me.
All kinds of much less expensive options out there for mounting a scope on the PTR-91. Like this one.
Stop and think about that for a minute. If cheap is all you want, then you've found it. And I'm sure it's a decent mount; looks pretty solid.

But for $500.00 you're getting a scope and mount that was designed for military service, and PROVEN in military service. For $500.00!!! How can you beat that? To get ANY scope even approaching the quality of the Hensoldt, you'll spend well over 500.00. Even a fixed Leupold is going to set you back well over $300, and you don't get the mount.

The H&K claw mount is a very slick device, and worth the price. it comes off in less than a second, and goes on in about a second and will come very close to absolute zero when replacing (enough that if you miss at 500 yards, it's your fault; not the equiplment).

The Hensoldt scope is built Ford Tough, and it has a bullet drop compensator for 7.62 NATO. Again, how can you beat that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
Has anybody ever tried the little brother, the V93 or C93's.
Back in the late 70s I had a choice at the gun shop between the HK91 and the HK93. I went with the 91. Have any nations ever adopted the 93? I know plenty of them adopted the 91.
I had a 93 back in the '80's. It was a very solid rifle, magazines are excellent; never once failed on me. But it was a heavy pig, so I sluffed it off for a Springfield Armory M1A receiver, GI Parts Kit, and an honest to goodness Leatherwood ART-II scope. I had much more fun with the M14. Then filled my 5.56 itch with an AR-180; excellent rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Izhmash 103 would shoot 2MOA all day long with Lapua ammo, 3MOA with Wolf, and 3.5-4 with Winchester. I was surprised at the Winchester; didn't see that coming.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DW12
TRH,

Thanks
When they first set up, I know they were buying barrels from Thompson/Center, the makers of the Contender.

My only complaint with the PTR's is how shallow the chamber fluting is; it's almost non-existent. Now I don't know, but I would be concerned if the rifle got REALLY dirty, it would start to pull case rims off. Again, this is wonder and speculation on my part; I don't know. I just know that the H&K 93 I've had, and the Sig STGw 57 I had both had very deep and pronounced chamber fluting that would all but trash the brass.

Just don't know.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,547
Posts18,453,523
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.