Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dude270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I recently tried the method John describes in obsessions of a rifle loony for annealing cases. I put the neck and shoulder area in the flame of a candle and held onto the case just ahead of the case web area (I was doing 6br brass so I held a little farther back than described in the book since the cases are so short) and dropped them into a wet towel when they were too hot to hold. I didn't get any discoloration in the neck or shoulder area after I was done so I fear they didn't get hot enough. Is the discoloration after annealing a sign of a properly done job or are my cases ok? I would appreciate some input from someone with experience in this method of annealing.
Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't use a candle for annealing but instead a propane torch. I hold the case being annealed between a thumb and fore finger and rotate it through the tip of the flame. I count "thousand one, thousand two etc up to thousand 7" and then remove it. With WSM cases I usually stop at "thousand six". These are about the limits of my ability to hold onto the cases and they do show a colour change when finished.

Works for me, YMMV.

Jim

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I use the AnnealRite system.

http://www.cartridgeanneal.com

With that said, it uses the Tempilaq 750 deg F paint just inside the neck to change color when it hits 750 F. When i'm annealing my 6.5x47 cases, which are similar to your 6br, it takes about 6 seconds for the paint color to change. This when 2 propane torches are aimed at the neck/shoulder junction. Not sure how comparable 2 propanes torches are to 1 candle.

Alan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a drill, an extension, a socket, and a propane torch. Find a socket that fits the base of your case, insert the base into the socket, with the drill rotate the socket slowly over the propane flame and look for the color change at the neck/shoulder. Be careful - its not hard to overcook one. Drop it into a pan of water when the neck shoulder area start to turn color - not red, but you'll see it change color and reach a 'purple' - go no more.

I too tried to hold the brass case and didn't think I was getting it hot enough to do any good. The torch/socket method enables you to heat the case a little bit longer without getting burnt.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dude270
.....I put the neck and shoulder area in the flame of a candle......I would appreciate some input from someone with experience in this method of annealing.
Thanks

Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
I don't use a candle for annealing but instead a propane torch.

Originally Posted by GSSP

Originally Posted by bwinters
I use a drill, an extension, a socket, and a propane torch.

Does anyone bother to read the OP's question prior to formulating "the answer?"

I happen to use the Anneal Rite also. It gives the cases the "annealed color." Prior to that I used the candle method (same as the OP) and did not get the same color but I do believe the cases got hot enough because the method worked. New cases are generally annealed at the factory, yet not all exhibit the "annealed color" like Lapua cases for example so I'm not sure that color is a good indicator.

I'll be interested to hear John's response too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
...dropped them into a wet towel when they were too hot to hold.

While we're waiting for JB to answer your question, I do this only for the first case to save myself a little pain.

I hold the case until it's too hot to hold while counting the seconds. Then I put a leather glove on my hand and hold the remaining cases for the same number of seconds.

FWIW, I don't see the Lake City color, either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've settled on a slight variation of the candle method. I made an alcohol burner that doesn't produce soot so you can see the color change as you're annealing.

It's similar to this ...

[Linked Image]

The heat is not as intense as a propane torch, it gradually heats the cases just like a candle, and it does produce a Lapua like discoloration.

FWIW, I know JB has tested the candle method and it does anneal cases properly.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Does your wife know you borrowed that?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks fish head - I have one of those downstairs for use on saxophone repair, but hadn't thought about using it for annealing...

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "hold it until it's too hot" business always seems to me a lot like driving successively heavier trucks across a bridge until it collapses to determine its weight limit.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Does your wife know you borrowed that?

My wife's name is Bubba and she made it for me. grin

A horseradish jar, a piece of tubing from an acid brush, some solder, and cotton string for a wick.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.....I put the neck and shoulder area in the flame of a candle......I would appreciate some input from someone with experience in this method of annealing.
Thanks

Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
I don't use a candle for annealing but instead a propane torch.

I use a drill, an extension, a socket, and a propane torch.

Does anyone bother to read the OP's question prior to formulating "the answer?"

I happen to use the Anneal Rite also. It gives the cases the "annealed color." Prior to that I used the candle method (same as the OP) and did not get the same color but I do believe the cases got hot enough because the method worked. New cases are generally annealed at the factory, yet not all exhibit the "annealed color" like Lapua cases for example so I'm not sure that color is a good indicator.

I'll be interested to hear John's response too.

Did you bother to read my post before you selectively quoted it? I referenced the method he opined on, gave my experience with the same method, then formulated my response to the issue he posted about - r.e. hot enough annealing temperature.

You did the exact same thing in your response................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
New cases are generally annealed at the factory, yet not all exhibit the "annealed color" like Lapua cases for example so I'm not sure that color is a good indicator.

Most ALL cases are annealed as the final step after forming. The telltale annealing ring discoloration comes right off with a bit of tumbling and/or acid washing.

Annealing is linear based on temperature. There is some degree of softening and recrystallization of the brass structure once that threshold is reached. Best I recall that's around 465�, and it gets softer and softer until it goes dead soft up around 1200� where it's ruined. (Don't have the exact temps off the top of my head.) In between there the extent of annealing varies with the temperature. So, you can have no annealing ring and still have some sufficient softening to prevent splitting the necks.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Did you bother to read my post before you selectively quoted it? I referenced the method he opined on, gave my experience with the same method, then formulated my response to the issue he posted about - r.e. hot enough annealing temperature.

That's really strange, I could've sworn you said you used a propane torch. As opposed to the OP's candle. Did I miss something?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
The "hold it until it's too hot" business always seems to me a lot like driving successively heavier trucks across a bridge until it collapses to determine its weight limit.

I believe with the candle you're relatively safe, as far as over-heating the necks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's helpful to anneal in a darkened room so that the eye can detect the subtle color change of the brass, and to keep in mind that a fully annealed state is not necessary or desirable for our purposes. The correct temperature is reached before the brass begins to change to red.

All we are after here is keeping the brass in a non-brittle state of temper so that it flexes when expanded on firing, or when case forming, and that is accomplished at lower temps.

Practice on non-usable cases.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I believe with the candle you're relatively safe, as far as over-heating the necks.

My concern is with the fingers.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mine too. That's why I use the Anneal Rite.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

http://www.cartridgeanneal.com

With that said, it uses the Tempilaq 750 deg F paint just inside the neck to change color when it hits 750 F. When i'm annealing my 6.5x47 cases, which are similar to your 6br, it takes about 6 seconds for the paint color to change. This when 2 propane torches are aimed at the neck/shoulder junction. Not sure how comparable 2 propanes torches are to 1 candle.

Alan

I use the AnnealRite and it takes 2.5 seconds to turn the 750 Tempilaq inside the case mouth on Lapua 308 brass. Wonder why the big difference? Six seconds seems like a long time. I notice in the AnnealRite video it is taking him approximately 3 seconds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's really strange, I could've sworn you said you used a propane torch. As opposed to the OP's candle. Did I miss something?

Yeah it is. Pretty sure the question was whether the lack of a color change using the JB method constituted a properly annealed case. Am also pretty sure I answered in my opinion and preferred method - having done both. Apparently, I didn't phrase my response to your satisfaction.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm pretty sure the method the OP described uses a candle. The "JB Method" uses a candle. If you think a candle is the same as a propane torch as far as the speed with which it heats the brass or the temperatures yielded, that's not my problem.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As far as the original question goes, I usually do not see a color change from the candle method. Now, how much annealing is taking place? Who knows, but the cases are obviously softer when I trim/chamfer and I don't split necks, so it must be working.

I did have to laugh at all the answers you got about how to anneal NOT using the candle method. I'm sure that helped you immensely.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To the OP:

I only started annealing a few years ago and my method is a propane torch and a small container of water.

My guess is that you are close to being perfect. Remember that a fast rate of cooling is nearly as important as the temperature. You want to freeze the alloy in an amorphous state.

I worked in a solder factory for a number of years and saw a lot of similar situations with copper alloys. It was hard keeping 3 shifts running the same amount of this or that, but the quality of the end-product remained high. I once did a study of the annealing of our wire and found a huge difference between the inner parts of a spool and the outer (we're talking 500 lb spools). However, the wire that came off the spool ended up being equally workable.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shaman
Remember that a fast rate of cooling is nearly as important as the temperature. You want to freeze the alloy in an amorphous state.

As far as rifle cartridge brass goes, this runs counter to what I've read in a couple of different places, from people who know their stuff including JB and the instructional video below from Anneal-Rite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXLPGcSNyUs

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm not JB

But I suspect I've annealed well over 100K 223 cases over the years.

Propane torch, spin em in my fingers in a dark room until I see the red color coming on which is also getting fairly hot to my fingers, drop in bucket/bowel of water on the kitchen table.

Never had a problem. And I had to have good accuracy and case life for my uses.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
dropping the cases in water will not hurt but it is not necessary to stop the heat suddenly for cartridge brass...

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I previously spun them in my fingers, but for the last several years do it differently. I made a simple shell holder with a deep socket and spin it in a cordless drill. I anneal it with a propane torch in a dark room until the neck just begins to change color. It then get dumped in a dry bucket, no quenching here. Propane torch here as well. Works well for me.

Last edited by RollnBones; 04/19/14.

Brad Dana
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just got back from a hunting trip and have several comments:

1) NO, THE CANDLE METHOD IS NOT MY METHOD. I have repeatedly written that it was developed by Fred Barker, who wrote an article for Precision Shooting about using Tempilaq and hand-holding the case over a candle to develop an uncomplicated method of annealing that works.

Fred did NOT say it was the fastest method, but he did enough testing to make sure it worked. He also did NOT adjust the hold according to the length of the brass, because all finger-holding it does is assure the case head doesn't over-heat. Holding any case halfway down works, because the method "adjusts" for the length ad thickness of the case.

2) If you want to anneal faster a torch works better, but the color of the brass (either during or after heating) is a poor indicator of success. Both tend toward over-annealing. Any sort of temp-indicator paint works better.

In fact cartridge brass can anneal at 500 degrees if heated long enough. The 700-750 degree temp usually used is where it anneals fastest--but if you heat it too fast it will also tend to over-anneal and become too soft, because the zinc in the alloy starts to melt out. That's why the neck/shoulder area of over-annealed brass tends to change color.

Some factory brass is somewhat over-annealed, because a softer neck allows the brass to be loaded more times before it requires annealing. But that doesn't mean softer brass will be more accurate than brass annealed not as soft, more frequently.

3) The only reason for water-quenching is to keep the head from over-heating and hence annealing. If you stand the HEADS of cases in water it won't, and it also won't if you hold it halfway up the body and drop it. But there's no reason to quench the neck after heating.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. I stand corrected.

Learn something new every day.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Dude270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
John

Thanks for the response and the good info. I hope you had a great trip.
This thread got pretty out of hand, I'm glad you set the record straight. Sorry if I started people thinking this was your personal method, I posted that you described the method in your book, guess I shouldn't have been so obtuse.

Thanks again

Brandon

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brandon,

No problem. I always mention that Fred Barker developed the method and published an article about it, but people still tend to call it my method, probably because more people have read my writing on it than Fred's lone article in a small-circulation magazine.

Brass is interesting stuff, one of the few metal alloys that doesn't require quenching after annealing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 664 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,868
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.