Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have always been under the impression that the all too common tang crack that is too often seen on a 99, was from a mis-fitting stock, and recoil. In discussing this with a friend who does a lot of work on the 99 stocks, I learned that (in his opinion) many, if not most of these cracks come from the gun being dropped or bumped sideways, not from recoil. I must say that after going over this in my head, his explanation seems to makes sense, given the thin wood structure on the side of the tang. Your thoughts are appreciated. Going foreward, I will never put any of my 99's in a soft case and lay them across the back seat floor of my vehicle, teetering over the drive shaft bump.

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Could be the same reason certain shotguns get the same crack.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably lots of factors with over tight butt stock/thin wrist contributing to many. Any type of bonk could exacerbate the problem.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The tang on a 99 (and any other gun that has a tang) is nothing but a steel wedge being driven into the wood every time a shot is fired.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
While that is true, the Savage 99's get this crack far more often than other guns. It has even been named the "Savage Crack". While I love this gun design, I do think the wood in the tang area is so thin that its design contributes to the too often seen tang crack.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have to say when I first read the title of this topic I thought it was going to some OT subject about plumbers. I think cracks are caused by all of the above as well as inherent weakness in wood as a medium for making stocks.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
As a carver, I have fortified quite a bit of material, such as wood and antler, with extremely viscous cyanoacrylate. I wonder if a person could do the same with the wood pores on a 99 stock in order to stop/prevent the cracking.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The "crack" is what it is. It is SO common, that I don't give it a ton of attention. If it's just a "run of the mill" gun when I pick it up and it's cracked, I just put it back down and move on. If the gun is something I want to fill a hole in one of my safes, then I might buy it anyhow. Having what you are looking for, cracked or not, is better than not having it. The other thing, the seller HAS to realize that the "crack" is going to cost him something. NONE of the guns I own that have the Savage crack has gotten any worse from shooting.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good point, LBK. A lot, if not all, cracks I see are ancient. It would indeed seem that they tend to crack initially, and the stay that way forever without getting much worse, unless some additional trauma takes place. I personally subscribe to the "tangs acting as wedges" theory, being driven back into the head of the stock through recoil and stock bolt over-tightening. Solution? Don't over torque the bolt, and reduce the gun's consumption of full throttle factory loads. (Low velocity handloads give the same amount of fun- if not more- and are cheaper and easier on the gun and shooter both.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
How about a thin rubber washer between stock and receiver?

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Taking this subject to the next level, do any of you attempt to repair these cracks or just leave them alone? I've seen methods for gently spreading the crack open and inserting an adhesive etc etc, but do these work or just make the appearance even worse? I've been fortunate that only one of mine has the dreaded "Savage Crack", a nice 250 EG with a Stith mounted scope, which I don't want to mess up so I've left it alone.
yooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sayak LBK , Gnaohhh I think you are all right on , the other factor after laying on there side on a hump or under a heavy weight is any rifle that has been in a saddle scabbard has that
potential as well as horses love to rub and nothing gets in there way frown I have used the crazy glues with much success, but they should be ones that can deal with oil and grease. they do flow well into a crack and can be worked so that the glue is coming out of the finest part .

norm

Last edited by norm99; 04/15/14.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yooper35
Taking this subject to the next level, do any of you attempt to repair these cracks or just leave them alone? I've seen methods for gently spreading the crack open and inserting an adhesive etc etc, but do these work or just make the appearance even worse? I've been fortunate that only one of mine has the dreaded "Savage Crack", a nice 250 EG with a Stith mounted scope, which I don't want to mess up so I've left it alone.
yooper

generally if I buy a gun with the crack I will repair it ,if you oil the stock with the crack oil gets where it don't belong if you don't fix it and stock drys out it can crack some more or water and dirt invades the crack as well.

I have taken stocks that are in 2-4 pieces and put them back together, they may not always be pretty but are funional and I use them for hunting ,, after all they are original grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
[quote=gnoahhh]... Solution? Don't over torque the bolt, .../quote]
How tight is too tight?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't have a clue as to exact torque specs (it would probably vary from gun to gun anyway). I just snug it up so there's no play in the stock. Firm but not tight like you're tightening a lug nut.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
But I always crank my lug-nuts until they squeeke. . .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My latest Savage crack is compliments of the shipping gorillas. Thanks, it survived 50 years until you got it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. The way the 99 stock was designed it doesn't handle side to side stress very well. Often poorly packaged rifles endure such stress and you seem to have gotten the benefit of that. frown

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I get a savage crack at the end of a week long moose hunt.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
seems you've been in the same moose camps as me!LOL

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.