79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Was their a recent bayonet charge we didn't hear about??

Since we're delving into the irrelevant, haven't heard of an air-to-air engagement or even a tank battle of late, so let's do away with those! BTW, Marines did use them on several occasions in Fallujah, but then again...

Now you are just being silly! I see my Battalion Commander all the time and CSM I will let them know concerned retired navy avaitor said we need to do bayonet training grin

You miss my point. Hopefully guys like ET will chime in about this, but to me it's a lot more than just training with what seems to be an obsolete weapon. It's about a useful training tool to weed out the lower end of the bell curve. That, together with discipline and tradition. In flight school, part of the filtering process was a fairly tough obstacle course.
So WTF does that have to do with flying? Got rid of the no-loads and those with no motivation. It's gone BTW, and the reason? Same as you just used; it's an obsolete process, but to me, its just another tool that in my view, aside from a good weeding out tool does (and did) have it's applications in today's battlefield and like I said, Marines used it in recent times. We are far too quick nowadays to eschew traditions and discipline. The Navy has done just that as so has the Army. Oh, and one more thing, I started my military life as an 0311 in the Crotch, so at least I can relate...

10-4

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bayonet training and skills are psywar against them and for us. Candyassed people hate it because it is PURE aggression and edged weapons are weapons of terror not intimidation. Too personal for anything BUT terrorizing the enemy. You can't see a bullet,but you can sure as hell see steel coming to rip out your guts. Phag brass and the social engineers HATE bayonet training and kills.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will absolutly admit to not reading the article before posting. The fact that the decommissioning of Airborne status for the 101st way back when had everything to do with my believing the original post. Can you imagine the shock and dismay of those that had served in an official Airborne capacity with that unit when they lost their jump status? We have heard about the end of Airborne status for many years, way before there was on line satirical military blogs, made this easy to believe with the communist in charge right now.
That said, reading the other duffle blog stories was freakin hilarious

1/504 PIR
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Spirit of the Bayonet is too Kill!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by bea175
FORT BRAGG, N.C. � The nation�s premier Airborne infantry division, the 82nd Airborne, will lose its hallowed airborne status in the next fiscal year, Army officials announced Thursday.

Reasons for the change include the high cost of maintenance and fuel in the face of looming budget cuts, and the higher-than-average injury and fatality rate for soldiers conducting training jumps, according to a statement from U.S. Army Forces Command.

�As much as it helps esprit de corps and a sense of unit pride,� said Army spokesperson Col. Mike Mulally, �It hurts in terms of readiness, injuries and the bottom line. The time spent on jumps could be used for more relevant training. We would save over $4 million a year in facility and equipment upkeep.�

�And let�s not forget,� Mulally added, �The awful fatality incidents we suffer about once a year. Every time the general has to give another flag to a wife or mother whose soldiers were lost on a training jump, we have to ask ourselves: Why are we training on an insertion technique that hasn�t been relevant in over fifty years?�

As expected, the announcement caused much consternation among former and current 82nd Airborne veterans.

�This is a horseshit,� said 1st Lt. Jeremy Dallas, a paratrooper and former Airborne School instructor. �Back before I went to OCS, I did a combat jump with the 173rd into Bashur during the initial invasion. FORSCOM doesn�t think that airborne training is relevant? What do they think that jump was? A Hollywood?�

Noting that the airfield had been secured hours earlier than the Bashur assault, Pakistani Gen. Abdul Mansour al-Islamabadi told reporters the �Americans missed their drop zone so badly that it took them fifteen hours to reassemble. And let�s not forget that the 173rd almost caused an international incident when they mistook some of our Turkish allies for Iraqis. They arrested and beat the [bleep] out of them, even though they were wearing Turkish army uniforms. Because I guess all us brown people look alike.�

�But sure, whatever, call it a combat jump, I don�t care,� he added.

The 82nd Airborne Division will immediately cease all airborne training, and at the end of the 2014 fiscal year will officially cease to be an Airborne unit. It will retain the �Airborne� designation in its unit title, but much like the 101st Division, will not be a real airborne unit any longer.

The 173rd Airborne Brigade, stationed in Vicenza, Italy, will remain on Airborne status for the next fiscal year, although anonymous sources in the Pentagon confirmed that it too will soon revert to leg infantry.

Good troll though at 5 pages. laugh

Last edited by Paulh; 04/13/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Bayonet training and skills are psywar against them and for us. Candyassed people hate it because it is PURE aggression and edged weapons are weapons of terror not intimidation. Too personal for anything BUT terrorizing the enemy. You can't see a bullet,but you can sure as hell see steel coming to rip out your guts. Phag brass and the social engineers HATE bayonet training and kills.

Thanks for that brother. As usual, spot on...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It has been said for years that very few have been killed by a bayonet during war, but that millions had been intimidated by one. It is truly an essential military weapon and tool, bayonet fighting, not just the bayonet, which is in itself a valuable, useful tool for the soldier.

As an aside, do bayonets even fit on M4 carbines? I remember the Car 15 (aka Colt Commando) didn't even have a bayonet lug. I retired with being issued and zeroing an M16A2, but not being around for our initial qualification with the A2.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M4 have a bayonet lug most if not all units turned in bayonets years ago. Every now and then you will see one pop up in the supply room.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by bea175
FORT BRAGG, N.C. � The nation�s premier Airborne infantry division, the 82nd Airborne, will lose its hallowed airborne status in the next fiscal year, Army officials announced Thursday.

Reasons for the change include the high cost of maintenance and fuel in the face of looming budget cuts, and the higher-than-average injury and fatality rate for soldiers conducting training jumps, according to a statement from U.S. Army Forces Command.

�As much as it helps esprit de corps and a sense of unit pride,� said Army spokesperson Col. Mike Mulally, �It hurts in terms of readiness, injuries and the bottom line. The time spent on jumps could be used for more relevant training. We would save over $4 million a year in facility and equipment upkeep.�

$4M vs.

"A trip to Africa by the president and first lady in June 2013 drew estimates of as much as $100 million in total costs. Also that month, Michelle Obama's two-day trip to Ireland cost an estimated $5 million. A return trip to Africa for the funeral of Nelson Mandela cost in excess of $11 million.

According to Judicial Watch, a Freedom of Information lawsuit revealed "President Obama incurred $7,396,531.20 in flight expenses alone for his 2013 vacations to Hawaii and Martha's Vineyard and his trip to California to appear on the Jay Leno show."

Sickening. Obscene. Revolting.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well inserting more that a dozen men by parachute is kind of wasteful, All you have to do is look at Operation Market Garden, and after Crete, the OKW- the German Army never did another drop on that kind of scale. Helicopters do the job. And then there is the question of resupply once on the ground. Personally I think its a bunch of horse [bleep], 4 million they say they will save is not any kind of real money when you have the feds spending 4 trillion a year. Chump change. I said for this war on a number of occasions, about the bayonet. they should train in its use. And when need used. The State Departments annual liquor bill will pay a good chunk of that 4 million a year.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ummm C-130 holds 64 troopers on a one way trip! Seems wasteful to not bring at least that many! laugh

A forced entry capable Division, can put 17,000 men and equipment ranging from light armor, artillery, infantry and support units anywhere there is a decent sized somewhat flat spot.

I'd say it's still viable! Plus it's an incredible rush falling out of a plane at 800 ft in total darkness.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 79S
Was their a recent bayonet charge we didn't hear about??

Since we're delving into the irrelevant, haven't heard of an air-to-air engagement or even a tank battle of late, so let's do away with those! BTW, Marines did use them on several occasions in Fallujah, but then again...

Tank battles still happen:

Battle of 73 Easting

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gmsemel
Well inserting more that a dozen men by parachute is kind of wasteful

BS. When you put a small force in, it needs to be done from high altitude, at LEAST 18,000 ft. 25K is much better. You can't hear the plane, or at least the plane has cover for action, IE, it isn't telegraphing the fact that it is inserting troops.

Also, you can hear parachutes open at seven or eight thousand ft.

You go tell the 75th Rangers that dropping a company or a BN isn't viable.

And bayonets ? That is what you country buys you when they are too [bleep] cheap to buy you a proper pistol, or so said Herbert McBride (A Rifleman Went to War)

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 04/14/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check the date...And of course they are still a reality, which was my whole point..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nothing better than listening to back at Bragg stories from troops that pcsed from their. When you in process Bragg they give you the kook-aid and a book on how to properly tell back Bragg stories. I do know the famed 82nd missed the party in Iraq when the invasion happened i do know they had two heavy divisions their and 101.

Last edited by 79S; 04/15/14.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Plus it's an incredible rush falling out of a plane at 800 ft in total darkness.

Mike

I know i have been there and done that.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.