Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Guys, I'm asking for advice and help to get started reloading. I'll be interested in 7mm-08, 270, 243, in that order. Should I buy a kit like the Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit, or just some individual tools like a Forster Co-Axe press and Forster dies and a very good scale.

I'm a lot more interested in accuracy than volume. Tailoring an accurate load will be my only reason to reload. Money is an object, but a few hundred wouldn't cause me to choose lesser equipment that would be less precise. I am a very detailed and precise personality. Possibly to my detriment at times. I sometimes get so caught up in reviews and details that I stall out on a decision. I want to know all I can about anything I'm doing.

Just need a little advice to get me pointed in the right direction. Any help appreciated and any specific recommendations on equipment would be a great help.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Buy the individual tools and buy the best you can, no alloy press', and shop around on Ebay and such and find good second hand.

One heavy cast O frame press goes a long way to a good start.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just about any O press will do what you want, the dies are what will get you the most accuracy.. That being said, the RC kit, or any other brand kit will give you all that is needed to get started, and represent good value over buying individual pieces. Buy good dies such as Redding, Forster, etc. and most of the battle will be over. As you go along things will be added or upgraded but not the dies if you buy quality right off.

Swifty
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The rockchucker kit is pretty good. However, if I knew then what I know now I'd piece everything together to get what I wanted. It would also consist of exactly what you mentioned, a co-ax press and forster dies. It took me about 20 years to figure out that those worked best for my needs though. If you start out with those you'll end up saving money in the long run.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've read a lot of good things about the Forster Co-Axe press. Is there any draw backs to owning it VS the Rockchucker other than price?

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I started I bought the Rockchucker kit and then added things as I learned. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the same to someone that is starting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I've read a lot of good things about the Forster Co-Axe press. Is there any draw backs to owning it VS the Rockchucker other than price?

Here are the only drawbacks - and this coming from a guy who started with the Rockchucker and sold it after it got dusty when I bought my Co-Ax.
1 - can't use Lee push-through cast bullet sizing die system unless you buy a shellholder adapter
2 - Collet-type bullet pullers are more awkward to use, but I can still use the Forster version just fine with an extension on my ratchet
3 - If you buy an older version the yoke isn't deep enough to accommodate micrometer seating dies - but a new press doesn't have this issue.

Other than those minor details, there are NO drawbacks, though some might argue ergonomics, I have no problem running mine as fast or faster than a standard O-frame press.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Huntr
When I started I bought the Rockchucker kit and then added things as I learned. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the same to someone that is starting.

+1.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For simplicity the easiest route is to buy an RCBS starter kit. They are good quality and their CS is great. For the type of loading you plan to do I don't see how you could go wrong with that route. If you have someone who is already in to loading you may be able to pick up used stuff on ebay or at gunshows but you need to know what you are looking at.
All my stuff is green.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I will suggest before you buy reloading materials that you buy or check out a few reloading manuals so you have an understanding of what each reloading tool does and what the positives and minuses there are with each.

After you read and understand what everything does then you can buy with confidence and have a good experience with your own very accurate loads.

Good luck
JW
Semper Fi

You only think you are alone.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Warlock
So far I've been watching youtube. Is there any particular manual you would recommend?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Lyman manual has a nice how-to section.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kits tend to include a powder measure, which isn't something everyone needs.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
The RCBS, Hornady and Lyman all have good how to sections in them.
I would buy the manual from the bullet manufacturer you use to shoot. Also the ABC's of reloading is a good primer.
I have 4 different printed load manuals and use them all for load data and tool use and techniques.
Find somebody you trust who reloads and check out their set up and ask questions on how and why they use what they use.
Good luck and have fun with your hobby.
You won't save any money reloading but you will get a lot more bangs for your bucks

You only think you are alone.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
RCBS Chargemaster...get one...

I bought the Anniversary RCBS kit or whatever it was called at the time when I started. It had the Rockchucker, the Chargemaster, the case prep center, the trimming tool and the hand primer.

If I were to do it all over again I'd get a Co-ax or maybe a Redding press as I dislike the primer collection system on the RCBS. Might Even go T7 turret....they look handy.

The case prep center now collects dust....hardly use it...so I wouldn't get that again.

Wouldn't trade the Chargemaster for anything...

Love the hand primer....

Need a concentricity gauge.

YMMV

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can get the Rock Chucker Supreme kit for as little as 220 bucks after the 50$ rebate,

I have no idea how you think you could piece these items together for less.

ebay

Don't care for ebay? Natchezs and Midway are around 230 after rebate.

I wouldn't care to guess how many rounds the RC Supreme kit's have loaded for how many people.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R.H.,
The best advice you have gotten so far is to go buy a good loading manual. Better yet, buy two or three and read all the "how to's" until you fully understand what you are going to be doing. The Lyman manual, as Mathman said, is a very good one that is published by an equipment manufacturer. Another good one is the Hornady, a bullet maker.
Another good suggestion was to use a manual from a bullet manufacturer whose product you will be using.
After you kind of have a good grip on the procedures involved, then decide what products you want. There is a lot of good equipment out there. Keep reading on this thread and this Forum and you will learn what works best for your needs. Good luck and enjoy.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole

+1.

+2.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
5sdad - I'm curious. I can't imagine a circumstance under which a reloader wouldn't want a powder measure - I'd go nuts without mine. Please elaborate. And I love my Harrell's measure...

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Kenneth
You can get the Rock Chucker Supreme kit for as little as 220 bucks after the 50$ rebate,

I have no idea how you think you could piece these items together for less.

ebay

Don't care for ebay? Natchezs and Midway are around 230 after rebate.

I wouldn't care to guess how many rounds the RC Supreme kit's have loaded for how many people.

I never thought I could get equipment cheaper individually. I just wanted to know if it might be better to buy more expensive and probably better equipment individually.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Selmer,I do not load in volume. It just seems to me that I would spend more time filling, adjusting, and dumping back out than I do dipping and weighing. My time is of little value, and I have gotten fairly adept with my Lee dippers and my Ohaus 5-0-5 scale. It isn't for everyone, but it works well for me, and I would imagine for some others as well. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmm, I'd never thought about it that way. Not disagreeing with you, just perspective, it takes me about 60 seconds to set my Harrell's measure and then I can just throw powder, no scale, no funnel. The Lyman #55 I used for many years definitely took longer, but once they're set, they're very fast. Now I just use the Lyman to throw pistol charges - currently set to 11 gr. Unique for cast loads in various rifles. I have seen photos of pistol cases carefully filed to dip specific powders with a wire handle soldered on - basically the DIY Lee dippers. For some reason I just don't trust dipping for powder without weighing - it seems to inconsistent to me, and I've run my measures through enough testing to know that they are within .1 gr. of my desired charge when set correctly and used in a consistent technique and rhythm. To each their own - it's always good to know multiple routes to the same destination!

Selmer

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hello Selmer, I did not see anything in 5dad's post that suggested he did not weigh the powder after using a dipper, I also have a Harrell and whilst it really is the nicest piece of kit since sliced bread I still weigh each and every load it throws as it does not always throw perfect.

But then I enjoy pissing about with loading and case prep.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have in recent times gone to using a RCBS 304 scale for weighing my powder, not because it is better but because I always wanted one when I was younger...and couldn't help myself.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by lastround
R.H.,
The best advice you have gotten so far is to go buy a good loading manual. Better yet, buy two or three and read all the "how to's" until you fully understand what you are going to be doing. The Lyman manual, as Mathman said, is a very good one that is published by an equipment manufacturer. Another good one is the Hornady, a bullet maker.
Another good suggestion was to use a manual from a bullet manufacturer whose product you will be using.
After you kind of have a good grip on the procedures involved, then decide what products you want. There is a lot of good equipment out there. Keep reading on this thread and this Forum and you will learn what works best for your needs. Good luck and enjoy.

This is good advice. If you know of someone who reloads or can find someone nearby who is willing to walk you through the steps and show you how it's done in person, you will be doing yourself a big favor.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

+1.

+2. All my stuff is green too (as another poster stated) and I have absolutely no complaints. How many of you guys using forster or other top dollar dies shoot competition? For a guy looking to turn out excellent ammo for his hunting/plinking and not too serious competition needs, it's hard to beat RCBS. Their CS isn't going to get beat either. Hold the fluff as far as I'm concerned..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by selmer
5sdad - I'm curious. I can't imagine a circumstance under which a reloader wouldn't want a powder measure - I'd go nuts without mine. Please elaborate. And I love my Harrell's measure...

+1, sounds weird not to have one??????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
+? on the RCBS Rockchucker kit. They weren't available when I started loading, but I have everything they include now, and more. And for sure their customer service is king!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
The Forster dies are some of the best I have used, but Redding are also very nice,I have and use both but would rather use Forster, Hard to go wrong with a Rockchucker press, I would look at the Rcbs 1010 for a scale, I like Sinclair for most of my brass prep tools, and a Thumler UV18 brass tumbler, and then just add tools as you have a need!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Akhutr, Berksbowman, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.