Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Tanner
Yes, I know. I'm amongst the most fickle of scope/gun/boot/pack whatever it may be buyers and users, and I still have love for the Gold Ring. But, in the future I'll use them on my set-and-forget guns. Maybe I have bad luck, or maybe I treat my guns too poorly (are you supposed to carry those things in cases...?) but dialing 23 Minutes to put shots on steel at 1k, and having my rounds land 20 yards short showed me all I needed to see.

Dialing back to zero showed it to be nowhere near where it was previously, and I badly missed a coyote-shaped piece of steel at 450 yards just a few minutes after ringing 12" steel at 700.

Back to a SWFA 3-9x42... I'll gladly carry the extra 6oz around.

Tanner

My our,preaching to the choir on those Leupys, I've to many that didn't adjust correctly.
Give me S&B or at least a Nightforce.

I don't think I'm really preaching to the choir. I've had a few that tracked really well and did so for a lot of shooting, and lots of guys that are way more accomplished hunters and shooters than myself have great success with dialing on them.

Originally Posted by GregW
So what is the best tracking scope in the group's opinion?

SWFA? Nightforce? Sightron SIII?

Nightforce ain't in my budget, and I don't think they give up a ton in comparison to the SWFA lineup (keep in mind I have extremely limited experience with Nightforce scopes).

I'll take an SWFA 3-9x42 for a hunting scope, right now. Both I've had tracked awesome and the glass is damn good.

Tanner

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was there to see everything go south... and it happened quickly. I have my suspects.... but we'll see. Asking a 1" tube to reef a couple revolutions up and down, do it reliably throughout the full range, and consistently return to zero... for 13oz is a little optimistic.

Had we left well enough alone and stayed inside 1/2 mile, I believe everything would have been roses, we'd be calling it the perfect NA big game killing rig and praising T's choice of components. But alas.... expectations are the engine for anger and mistrust.

The 12x SS on the .260 has run without a hiccup... for a bunch of rounds now. I spun about a dozen MILs in it, held 3 MILs of wind, and hit the 14" plate at 1200 with the second round. Back down to 450 and it was money.... same couple shots that shamed the above mention Leupold minutes earlier.

For a spinnin' scope.... I dig the SS series, all of'em.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know Tanner, when I was by your mentor's house, I don't recall seeing much of gold ring scopes with turrets. Most of his were Leica. Should tell you someting. Btw....paint that awful lookin stock will ya. Or just slap a jolly Roger on the butt.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Welcome to reality Tanner. Don't get hung up on weight. I would rather carry around a few more ounces if my bullet goes where I command it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why the SWFA HD's and not the regular straight 6 or 10's? Thanks

IC B2

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't ever owned one of the HDs so I cannot give an opinion on that. I've heard rumors that the 3-9x42s are made with HD glass but have never confirmed that... they are easily as bright and clear as a Leupold of similar magnification, though. I don't get hung up on "glass" very often.... because I don't observe game through my scope.

Total weight with the SS 3-9 up top is 8.6# with a Montana sling. Not too bad.

Tanner

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Should have kept the Tikka and the SS.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.