24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For copper, KG-12 along with Bore Eliminator. I haven't found anything that works quicker or better.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
BP-B6

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Then you haven't tried Wipeout. Compared to it, Eliminator's tits on a boar hog

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Jim in Idaho,

I am going to have to try this...scrubbing is for the birds and if I can find a cheaper way to wipe all of this schit outta my barrel the better. Got a question to ask:

conical rubber plug...how big of it do you get to fit the chamber? I presume this will go up to the lands is what you are referring to? Or does it just go in the chamber?

using a plastic grocery bag rubber banded over the muzzle...if it leaks and gets on the blueing of the muzzle and you leave it on for a few hours will this fade the blueing?

I have a bottle of Montana Extreme Bore Solvent but have not used it. Might as well get going with this so how much do you put in your muzzle? You stated 3-4 droppers as in eye drops. That is a VERY small amount to me but if you mean 3-4 of those full eye dropper containers then I guess that can work. I do not have an eye dropper but how much liquid would you say that 3-4 eye droppers hold?

Tomorrow I will stop over Lowes and get this rubber plug. My guess it would be in the plumbing dept? I know some small hardware stores will have these but do not know if Lowes will have them but I will check...we got those big box stores here and none of the family owned-size hardware stores here.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Montana Extreme Bore Cleaner.

Get a 25 cent conical rubber plug from the hardware store - heck, get 2, that's a lifetime supply.

Stick the plug in the chamber, tap it in tight with a cleaning rod. Squirt about 3-4 eye dropper's full of Montana Extreme in the muzzle. Take a square of plastic grocery bag and attach it to the muzzle with a rubber band. Turn the muzzle up, then down, then up, then down to coat the bore. Lay the rifle on a level surface and walk away.

Come back several hours later. Remove the grocery bag from the muzzle and pour out the now blue liquid. Carefully run a cleaning rod in from the muzzle to tap out the plug. Run 2 dry patches through the bore from the chamber end to dry the rest of the bore cleaner. If you feel like it, run a patch with some lighter fluid or alcohol on it to completely degrease the bore, or not. Run an oily patch through the bore and you're done.

If the rifle is a real fouler, look at the muzzle in a good light after cleaning as above. If you see streaks of copper (very rare) apply Montana Extreme Copper Killer as described above in place of the Bore Cleaner.

If you had to use the Copper Killer then when you're done apply Dyna Bore Coat once. Then put the Copper Killer away, never to be used again - at least not on that rifle.

FWIW, I use the Bore Cleaner about every 300-400 rounds whether the rifle needs it or not, I'm real particular about that... wink

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well, I find a 4 inch blade and a garden hose works great as a boar cleaner. You might try one of those power-washers if the blood is really dry.
(An old Lt Col friend of mine claims gun cleaning is a ruse to keep the troops busy so they don't run off and get VD from the local professional ladies (or any reasonable facsimile). The secondary purpose is to get the larger pieces of CS and BS and plain old mud out of the barrel so you don't kill yourself instead of someone who might deserve it upon exercising your index finger.) :-)

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jorgeI

They are both fine products , If you don't want to wait overnite for the foam to work you use Eliminator. Cleans a heavily fouled rifle in 30 minutes . I have had to use Wipeout overbite at least 2x to get the same effect. Eliminator is even safer on your bore so please don't slam a fantastic product.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wipeouts the best [bleep] the rest. yeah. I said that for ease of use and painlessness. Magnum man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 04/17/14.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Eliminator is the best I have ever used, works very quickly!!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ignoil is the shizz.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Is this a proprietary product from flave precision?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wipe out, wipe out, wipe out!!!

I'll never use another cleaning product again.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How is wipeout harmful to the bore?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Is this a proprietary product from flave precision?

Yes, at 'Flave Precision we pay as much attention to our barrels as we do open container laws.

Although I should add, Hoppes followed by Wipe-Out does work wonders.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 16bore
How is wipeout harmful to the bore?

It's not.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by jorgeI

They are both fine products , If you don't want to wait overnite for the foam to work you use Eliminator. Cleans a heavily fouled rifle in 30 minutes . I have had to use Wipeout overbite at least 2x to get the same effect. Eliminator is even safer on your bore so please don't slam a fantastic product.

Boretech requires several applications (as does Wipeout) on some rifles, but BT requires significantly more effort involving a cleaning rod and many passes, whereas Wipeout is ostensibly hands free.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Valad, I'll try to answer in great detail here.

On the plug � a .30-06/308 case is .473 at the head, so I got a conical plug that measures smaller than that on the small end and larger than that on the big end. It gets wedged into the mouth of the chamber so the chamber and neck and leade all get cleaned. A .223 based case head is about .378� so I got a smaller plug with the small end less than that dimension. There�s an Ace hardware store right around the corner from me so I searched on their website for �conical rubber plugs� and found what sizes they offered before going to the store. Individual plugs were a few cents each, I forget exactly but they're cheap and one lasts a long, long time.

The Montana Extreme cleaners come with a small plastic pipette or you can probably find something similar at the hardware store, or just get an eye dropper at the drug store except they�re more expensive. The plastic pipette included with the Montana Extreme is just right. I squeeze the bulb and let it suck up as much as it will, then squeeze that into the upright plugged barrel from the muzzle, my idea is to flood the bore with chemical reactant. 3-4 of those for a .25 to .30 caliber, maybe just 2-3 for a .22 or .243.

I cut a square out of a plastic grocery bag maybe 4-5� across and double it over for strength. It is laid over the muzzle and held on tight with a rubber band wrapped and twisted around over and over. I�ll upend the rifle back and forth, scope up and scope down, to get the bore really coated, then lay it as flat as possible. Some invariably gets on the bluing of the crown but it doesn�t hurt a thing even after being left there 24 hours � applied one evening and removed the next evening.

During the time the cleaner is left in every few hours I�ll coat the bore again the same way � upending the barrel back and forth and then lay it down in some different orientation � on the left side first, then the right etc. I might do that twice or thrice during cleaning, whenever I remember to do it.

The longest I�ve left it in is about 24 hours, the shortest is maybe 6 hours only because I started cleaning in the morning and finished in the afternoon since I was taking that rifle out shooting the next day. I don�t know what a minimum time would be since I use this as a �take 5 minutes to prepare it, walk away, then finish when I feel like it� proposition. But it has never failed to remove every trace of copper for as far as I can see into the bore.

I don�t have a borescope to verify 100% cleaning, but as an experiment I have run a patch of Montana Copper Killer down some freshly cleaned bores, left it in for 10 minutes and then run a clean patch through and it came out completely white � not a speck of blue. That Copper Killer is powerful stuff so I figure if it didn�t react with any copper there must not be any copper in the bore. I�ve used that method to check for bare metal before applying Dyna Bore coat as well.

To the folks that will inevitably want to brag about how their method is greater and easier and all around better, okay, that�s cool with me. There may be an easier or quicker method. But I know this works, it meets my needs and only takes about 8-10 minutes to prep and then finish and uses maybe 4-5 patches, including oiling the bore. If I have a few minutes to get it started I�ll start it. If it takes me till the next day to get back to it, I know it won�t hurt anything. It doesn�t smell � which is NOT the case if you run the Montana products back and forth on patches and brushes � and it�s easy to keep it from getting onto stock finishes. I don�t know if it would hurt a stock finish or not since I�ve never spilled any on a stock.

Anyway � this is the way I skin this cat and if it works for someone else, great, if they prefer another method, that�s great, too.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wipeout is like the Ronco Showtime Rostisserie Chicken machine. Set it and forget it.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ron Popeil invented wipeout and the Ginsu Knife?

Friggin' genius.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget the pocket fisherman. Somewhere I've got a picture of my brother laying on a pond bank with his foot through the handle of one of those things. Bout as laid back fishing as it gets.

He's also the one that turned me on to wipe out.....go figure.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You mean to tell me the pocket fisherman is a real product?

I always thought it was a euphemism.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Handy for catching trouser trout.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.