Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Recently spent another winter in Arizona, 4 months of 70-80 degree fun in the sun. Lots of things to do in the high desert around Wickenburg.
I shoot 2 pistol matches a week, cast bullets, ride 4 wheelers in the desert & take lots of pictures. On one of the rides during the course of the day we spotted a coyote, several Jacks, lots of quail & a Road Runner...Beep, Beep! I popped one of the Jacks with my 8 shot 327 maggie but didn't want to walk up the hill through the cactus & rock to retreive it, mainly because of snakes. I can't hear them! I'm amazed how many coyotes there are here, they are small, nothing like our coyotes up home but there's lots of them.
On a later ride we again saw lots of game including 2 muleys, a few hawks, quail, another Road Runner....Beep, Beep! Also ran over a snake with the 4 wheeler but it got in a hole before we could check it out closer. Towards the end of the day I saw 3-4 big Jacks & finally one gave me a shot, shooting offhand at about 35 yds my Ruger Bisley 41 maggie & 18 grs of 2400 really punched his ticket, lots of damage from that 230 gr. Keith slug. Some dis -believers think that slug would just pencil through & the bunny would heal up in a few days, doesn't work that way. A Texas Jack might recover but not an Arizona or Idaho Jack!
[Linked Image]

Saguaro Cactus, there are many thousands of these in the desert, I've been told that it takes 30 years for them to develop the "arms", maybe thats why Fermin hasn't developed a neck yet....
[Linked Image]

These old cabins are a popular destination on 4 wheelers, the story goes that they were once in a western movie, nobody knew which movie, I thought maybe it was Mucho Garza Rides Again...
[Linked Image]

There are many deep, rugged canyons in the area, easy to get turned around if you're not familar with the roads & trails. Many of these dry stream beds were once stage coach routes. Very little water in this country but it was refreshing when we did to not see a Utah fisherman!
[Linked Image]

Dick

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Idaho, nice story and photos.. Did you ever run into one of those antelope jacks.. They are BIG.. What section of the state were you hanging out in last winter.. My old quail hunting buddy was over near Quartzite... Not his favorite spot but the only one he could rent a place for a couple mths. I used to spend quite a bit of time near Wilcox.. Haven't been down for several years.. But we are planning a trip this Dec. and maybe Jan..
Hope you had a good time, it sure looks like you did..

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great post Idaho1945. A friend of mine bought a retirement home their but he has family down there to. Those AZ jacks do have a set of ears!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by eh76
Great post Idaho1945. A friend of mine bought a retirement home their but he has family down there to. Those AZ jacks do have a set of ears!

generally full of fleas too.
I had a game and fish officer as i was cleaning a cottontail one time start in on jacks and how they were good eating. It told him i only new of one minority group that would do that. Well, now maybe two if you count the humung.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I would sooner eat my hat than a parasite infested Jack... cottontails yes, but Jacks are nasty.

Loads and loads of fun as self propelled pop up targets though..

Nice pics and story 1945.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by eh76

generally full of fleas too.
I had a game and fish officer as i was cleaning a cottontail one time start in on jacks and how they were good eating. It told him i only new of one minority group that would do that. Well, now maybe two if you count the humung.
My Grandpa practically fed his family on Jacks during the depression. I'm sure they were in better shape up here though, literally being "corn fed". I wouldn't eat one that was infested with parasites. I'd eat one that was in good shape though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 71 invisible), 3,094 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.