Print Thread
Hop To
B
Buzzaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Anything special I need to look for when buying bases and rings for Pre-64 Featherweight .243??

I decided to go with a modern scope, to get the most from this rifle, something simple, maybe a fixed power Leupold??

Picking it up Saturday

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
No,nothing special on the bases & rings.

A fixed 4x or a 6x would be my choice,or if you want a Leupold 2.5x Ultralight. It all depends on what you plan to do with the .243.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
Anything special I need to look for when buying bases and rings for Pre-64 Featherweight .243??

I decided to go with a modern scope, to get the most from this rifle, something simple, maybe a fixed power Leupold??

Picking it up Saturday

There's been a lot of talk here lately about the Leupold DD's on the pre 64's. They look great and are as strong as a truck bumper. You'd probably be fine with some lows and that fixed power leupy..Weavers are also a good strong mount and won't cost as much as the DD's. If you want to spend all of your lunch money, you can opt for the S&K's or Conetrols. I generally just go with the DD's for looks, value, and ruggedness..YMMV.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would hunt down one of the now discontinued leupold 3x9x33 compacts they are friction but great scope or the 3x9x33 ultralights they are click adjustment. when they pop up they sell for around $200-$225.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Buzzaw: I have a whole drawer full of new in their boxes Redfield one piece bases for various pre-64 Model 70 Rifles - but if I were you I would match your Rifle up with a Leupold one piece blued base and Leupold medium blued rings.
I am a large person and I need the mediums for better facial fit and lineup and scope line up.
Enjoy your new Rifle - good for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I gave away some of my 1 piece redfield and leupolds. I always liked those, but some guys say they aren't as strong as other mounting systems because of the windage adjustment on the rear of the base. I guess some have had those break, so they shy away from them.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr BSA, As I said earlier U have me hooked on Leupold DD bases and rings, I must say those old Redfield and Leupold one piece bases have been on some of my guns for 20 years with no failure and If I use same ammo ,holding zero like a champ from year to year.Those DD's are flat out smooth and strong. v best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Mr BSA, As I said earlier U have me hooked on Leupold DD bases and rings, I must say those old Redfield and Leupold one piece bases have been on some of my guns for 20 years with no failure and If I use same ammo ,holding zero like a champ from year to year.Those DD's are flat out smooth and strong. v best winpoor

I actually like the 1 piece mounts too, I've seen some of the windage screws get bent though..

BSA MAGA
B
Buzzaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
ok does DD mean Dual Dovetail?

B
Buzzaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
sorry been a rail and rings guy for a long time

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
ok does DD mean Dual Dovetail?

yes sir

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 34 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,390
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.