Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a poorly cut chamber on a Lilja barreled 280AI. 700 stainless action with a Bansner stock and Timney trigger. I am not happy with the way the chamber was cut and want to rebarrel. Talked to Benchmark who will true the action and will chamber and replace the barrel for 850 bucks with stainless. This is my second go round with this action. Would this be the time to go to a custom action or should I just have the 700 trued up again? Can an action be re barreled and re trued twice? This gun is turning into a money pit. I like the stock and trigger. Plan to stay with 280AI.

Last edited by bonefish; 04/15/14.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd send that to Redneck for an evaluation. If it can't be saved with current barrel, his price would be way below that price. Not a gunwriter, but just my two cents.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You might also check with Greg Tannel of Gre-Tan rifles. I've watched him true an action and he really knows his stuff.

Last edited by Jocko_Slugshot; 04/15/14.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Have you had the action "trued" already, if so, what was supposedly done? I spent $600+ a barrel with Greg Tannel on one action just because I wanted to see what this was all about. He does nice work but my rifle went from shooting 1.5" groups @ 100 yards to shooting 1 1/8" groups. To me, this was NOT worth it. I sent it back to him and he said that the Hart barrel was bad and would replace it with a Krieger. (no charge). I got the rifle back and [it was a Rem mt. rifle contour] had a new SS barrel. I was told Krieger wouldn't do SS barrels that thin so who knows. The rifle then shot about 1". I decided to leave it alone and went and killed a bunch of stuff with it.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't waste the money "truing" a 700 on a standard hunting rifle. I believe for that money he recut the face of the receiver, recut the action threads, faced the bolt, recut the lugs and in my case, he bushed the firing pin and had me 300 below zero cryo treat it.

A custom action may or may not shoot any better but has better resale value that anything you can do to a 700.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Either an action is true, or it isn't. They don't morph over time.

I had Kempfeld totally true up my action. He squared the face, recut the tenon, lapped the lugs, and squared the bolt face. I recently talked to a new place about getting a new tube on it, and they said they would have to true my action first. I said it was already done. They said every gun that comes in needs trued, I disagreed. Once I told them Kampfeld did it, they said "ok, well he probably did it right."

I think truing is an upsell for most places.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bonefish
I have a poorly cut chamber on a Lilja barreled 280AI. 700 stainless action with a Bansner stock and Timney trigger. I am not happy with the way the chamber was cut and want to rebarrel. Talked to Benchmark who will true the action and will chamber and replace the barrel for 850 bucks with stainless. This is my second go round with this action. Would this be the time to go to a custom action or should I just have the 700 trued up again? Can an action be re barreled and re trued twice? This gun is turning into a money pit. I like the stock and trigger. Plan to stay with 280AI.

Truing an action is gay. Just have it re-tubed by somebody that knows WTF they're doing.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I re-machine a lot of Remington actions (also a lot of Winchesters, MRC's, and various military actions) because people want it done. On my own rifles, I re-machine when it seems necessary. Back in the day, Mike Walker recommended re-cutting the face of a 700 and that was about it. When one pulls the original barrel off, it is often apparent that the recoil lug has not contacted the receiver all the way around. Plainly, that is a receiver which will be improved by re-cutting the face. Whether or not this will have any effect on performance is another matter.
If you are unhappy with the chamber, perhaps you might consider simply having the barrel set back a couple of turns and re-chambered (probably not by the original 'smith unless he can improve his methodology).
The improved resale value of the custom action may well be factual but it isn't probably as great as one would hope. The thing is, you have this action in your hand.
If Benchmark wants 850 dollars to re-barrel and the barrel is worth 350, they are figuring on 500 dollars in labor for the job. That is a substantial charge for barrel fitting IMO but it's their shop. GD

Last edited by greydog; 04/16/14.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
...... Would this be the time to go to a custom action or should I just have the 700 trued up again?

How would you know if the custom action was actually true? I have heard of some that were not. I would just send it to a good gunsmith and try to salvage the present barrel or have it rebarreld. I would not pay to have it trued again unless some blacksmith hack did the original work on it.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The face of the action is the only thing that really needs trued on a hunting rifle action before barreling . The barrel should and must screw on straight if you want it to group well.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
The face of the action is the only thing that really needs trued

Best put on a parallel/surface ground lug or it's all for naught....

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by aalf

I always replace the lug with a Holland or other custom lug when building a rifle

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aalf

I always replace the lug with a Holland or other custom lug when building a rifle

Long as it's parallel, it don't matter.....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

To be specific, what is it that you do not like about the way the chamber was cut? Typically, if the chamber was NOT properly indicated in line with the bore, the bullets simply get started crooked in the bore. If this is in fact the case, then a good gunsmith can cut off half the threads and re-chamber the existing barrel, as greydog has already mentioned.

Then you say that this is the second go round with the action, are you saying that you have had two barrels on the action that would not shoot to your accuracy standards?

Last edited by keith; 04/16/14.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Was a factory gun. Then became a donor action. Now getting yet another barrel.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What is it about the chamber that is off? I have had barrels with questionable chambers or throats still shoot well. In an extreme case the once fired brass was over sized and out of round. With minimal sizing and indexing the cases it would shoot fairly well. I got rid of the barrel anyway. Make a chamber cast and measure carefully and spin on a concentricity gauge before going too much further.

Unless I know there is a problem I will only hand lap the lugs and have the action face squared when re-barreling for hunting rifles. The cost for a full "blue print" gets you pretty close to a custom action.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The older we get , the farther we get away from what we think we are.

I have to take issue with this bea; I'm well-aware that I'm getting to be more and more a broken down old fart with every passing year. And the years are passing likes months did when I was younger!

Getting old ain't for wimps.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Chamber is oversized and not concentric. Still shoots but bugs me. Going to take the advice here and just have a new barrel and chamber done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call Clarence Hammonds. Over 30 world records in benchrest and that same skill goes into his hunting rifles which are about 60% of his business. You won't be sorry. A lot cheaper than some of 'smiths mentioned here at the 24HCF.

Not the friendliest on the phone at times and some people have complained about that but you're having work done and you don't have to kiss him on the lips.

I've been using him for about 20 years.Last year I drove 700 miles round trip just to have him do a simple job. It was worth every inch.

http://benchrest.com/hammonds/

Denny

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Oversized where? Not concentric to what. Who checked it out?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.