Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rylee1 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Anybody have any input on these automatic powder dispensers and digital scales? Hornady, Lyman, Pact all make one. they look pretty easy accurate. They are pricey though. Just wondering how they work and if one is better than the rest.

thanks

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have had an old Lyman 1200 DPS for years. It needed sent back once. On occasion it has a hicup and won't re zero. Never figured out why but after a few days it is back to normal. I also have a PACT. It works very well but I waited like 3 months to get it. The Lyman can no longer be repaired because it is so old but it is much easier to use than the set up for the PACT. However neither is bad. I like them and have used them enough to trust them. I have friends who just do not trust digital scales.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Over the years there have been some better than others - and the lead has changed from time to time. I have no idea which one is currently in the lead.

AFAIK all the makers have updated their machines to address known issues and I would expect any brand's current model to be better than past models.

Past issues have included the length of time from pushing the button to dumping the charge of powder in the case - it has sometimes with some models and some powders and some charge weights taken the machine quite a while to arrive at the set charge weight in the pan as the pan fills very slowly with very small amounts of powder trickled into the pan to avoid overshooting.

Taken as a sort of powered powder trickler machines have sometimes gone from undershooting the desired powder weight to overshooting the desired powder weight without ever hitting the exact powder weight.

Folks have even been known to run two machines used alternately to keep up with the rest of the reloading process. I gather but do not know that current machines are programmed better to start with a faster drop and slow down approaching the final weight.

AFAIK all the current machines live up to the maker's claims.

My own inclination is to use a Quick Measure for larger amounts of stick powder, a Harrell's for small amounts, a Hornady or an RCBS (with micrometer setting pistol and rifle inserts) for progressive loading or easy to meter loads with short cut or ball or spherical powders and a Little Dandy for small loads - with a roll of quarters or a socket or other weight on the powder column.

If I had the money to have about three automated machines on the bench for speedy processing that's what I'd have.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers

If I had the money to have about three automated machines on the bench for speedy processing that's what I'd have.

That'd be the $900 solution to the $50 powder scale problem. grin

LOL
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use the RCBS chargemaster. No complaints.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had the RCBS measure and scale, the measure was slow to measure and the scale took a while to set up and needed recalibration during use. Sold them ans went back to traditional measure and scale.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pact, at the time of purchase it was the only one made in the US.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the RCBS Chargemaster and have zero complaints.By the time I seat a bullet the next charge is usually measured and ready to go.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have the RCBS unit and have used the Lyman machine quite a lot. The RCBS is the fast of the two but you can always use something like a Lee dipper to speed up the process. My RCBS is about four years old and has never given me any issue. It dispenses accurately and is easy to use. The Lyman that I have used was sent in for repair once over about the same time period. I have not used any others.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I used the RCBS unit for several years and when the readout on the scales had an issue RCBS sent me a complete new unit from the States...dispenser and scales (the guarantee had to be out of date).

No charge for unit or postage...that service cannot be beaten!

added; I did get charged a change-over fee which was a fraction of the value.

Last edited by JSTUART; 04/15/14.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
RCBS Chargemaster...no complaints.

It throws a charge as fast about as I can seat bullets, so there is no waiting.

B
B
Originally Posted by ken999
RCBS Chargemaster...no complaints.

It throws a charge as fast about as I can seat bullets, so there is no waiting.

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Again, the chargemaster. I seat as it dispenses the next charge. I did have an issue with my first unit, but they took care of it quickly for me and not a problem since. Do set it up on a separate bench or table from your press and you won't have problems with the scale.

As to speed, there are instructions on the net on how to change that to speed it up or slow down, these instructions actually came from the factory though I don't believe they are officially recognized by them.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had mixed results, at best, with my Hornady

RLTW
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have the hornady....was mad at first cause it "over" fed all the time. Then found I could easily recalibrate at start up. Once I figured how to do that I decided I like it fine.
I think almost all these are Chinese products.....made to irritate Americans!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had several but ended up with the old Pact and their automatic trickler setup. Very accurate and fast. The other is one that's computerized and is programmable but it was way too slow for my style. I still use it for small runs as when on the short strokes of load development. They quit selling that Pact trickler so I hope it doesn't fail. Not sure what I'd do then. The Lyman and RCBS systems didn't work for me.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Another thumbs up for the Chargemaster.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the chargemaster and seat the bullet while it throws the next charge. No complaints here.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've had the Lyman DPSII for the last 13 years, and it's been great. I did have to send it in for warranty repair after the first year of use, due to an insensitive key pad, but since then it's run flawlessly, and has thrown thousands and thousands of loads. I'd say I definitely got my money out of that purchase!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto Chargemaster.

It is accurate, quick, and the RCBS customer service is excellent.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.