Print Thread
Hop To
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been offered a chance to buy about the nicest 1899 I've had my hands on today but I'm not 100% sure as to what a fair price would be. You gents are about the most knowledgable bunch of Savage guys I've ever seen so maybe you can shed a little light for me.

The gun is an 1899 T/D in 250-3000, no holes or cracks in either wood or metal. Not reblued, easily 85-90% of finish remaining on both wood as well as metal. Takedown is snug, bore is pristine. Has one scratch about 1 inch long across the checkering on the grip on the left side, other than that I cannot see any other major mars or scrapes anywhere. It dates to 1915, according to the seller who is an acquaintance if bought some thing from in the past.

With it is a mint box of Savage brand ammo, small Indian 100gr. And a copy of the savage 99 book. Inside the book was a sheet of paper with info that the previous owner had jotted down pertaining to this rifle. It has a handful of special order features it seems, windage adjustable rear barrel sight, tang sight with disc, checkered trigger, factory eyes, hooks and sling. The list tallied up to around 11.00$ worth of extras when new.

I have the whole set at my house and am kicking around whether or not to buy it. It's certainly a neat rifle, and I would shoot it, but I don't know how much I would be safe to spend on it. Thanks in advance guys.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pictures... need pictures to tell what's right and what might have been added afterwards.

Sounds like a heck of a find tho!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
I've been offered a chance to buy about the nicest 1899 I've had my hands on today but I'm not 100% sure as to what a fair price would be. You gents are about the most knowledgable bunch of Savage guys I've ever seen so maybe you can shed a little light for me.

The gun is an 1899 T/D in 250-3000, no holes or cracks in either wood or metal. Not reblued, easily 85-90% of finish remaining on both wood as well as metal. Takedown is snug, bore is pristine. Has one scratch about 1 inch long across the checkering on the grip on the left side, other than that I cannot see any other major mars or scrapes anywhere. It dates to 1915, according to the seller who is an acquaintance if bought some thing from in the past.

With it is a mint box of Savage brand ammo, small Indian 100gr. And a copy of the savage 99 book. Inside the book was a sheet of paper with info that the previous owner had jotted down pertaining to this rifle. It has a handful of special order features it seems, windage adjustable rear barrel sight, tang sight with disc, checkered trigger, factory eyes, hooks and sling. The list tallied up to around 11.00$ worth of extras when new.

I have the whole set at my house and am kicking around whether or not to buy it. It's certainly a neat rifle, and I would shoot it, but I don't know how much I would be safe to spend on it. Thanks in advance guys.

That question comes up time after time after time. AFAIC, there is NO right answer. It's worth is whatever it's worth to YOU. Chances are that if you have to ask, "Can I afford this?", than you can't afford it. Each and every one of us have spent more on a rifle than we wanted to. But if you spend too much for a nice original rifle it will only hurt once. If you spend too much for one that is not, it will hurt every time you attempt to sell/trade it. In my case, I don't sell what I buy. I look at rifles and if I don't get "turned on" I just put it down and move on. If I get "the feeling" there isn't much that will prevent it from coming home. A quick look at the sites that move guns will give you an idea of what others are asking for/ paying for. Ultimately, you're the ONLY one that can answer your question. All other answers will be "what would I pay". Good luck with whatever you decide.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Each and every one of us have spent more on a rifle than we wanted to.

Ain't that the truth.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know man, I'm thinking I'm glad to spend the money or I pass on the rifle. Not saying some aren't expensive though.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you got the book check barrel address see if all ser nos match if yes pull the money out of you pocket or tell me where the gun is

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Buy it, but DON'T SHOOT the Savage ammo!! wink
yooper

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
The numbers match on all the parts and the address is correct per the book.

I'm not so worried about the what's it worth to me question, I don't believe the fellow is trying to get the best of me or anything, heck I would have been all over it like a cat on a junebug already if I hadn't been offered it 45minutes after I had to cut the IRS a check. The value question is more for a general selling price in case things change in the future, stuff happens sometimes, like Jr going to college or a family member getting ill. I will certainly shoot the dang thing if I end up with it, but I think a rifle like this has the potential to be an investment as well as a shooter.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
They're ALL an investment...............Sometimes investments pay off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but MOST times they don't............You just cut a tax check. Kiss that money good bye. Buy the rifle and kiss the rifle good night................

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
They're ALL an investment...............Sometimes investments pay off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but MOST times they don't............You just cut a tax check. Kiss that money good bye. Buy the rifle and kiss the rifle good night................

Yup. About covers it.... cool

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
smile
Each and every one of us have spent more on a rifle than we wanted to. But if you spend too much for a nice original rifle it will only hurt once. If you spend too much for one that is not, it will hurt every time you attempt to sell/trade it.

Boy, if this isn't the truth. I have one of those. I have just learned to live with it and have moved on. I will pass it on to my grandson. There is no use to try and trade it or sell it. It would just make the hurt worse.

Last edited by Rick99; 04/16/14. Reason: corrected quote

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would pass on it unless it's been well drilled for a good top mount so I can use a scope.

Of course if your primarily a collector then a TD is neat.

Those old ones have that slow twist for 87 gr 3000 fps bullets.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.