Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Maybe the odd man out. I still like & enjoy my Mossberg MPV!
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
"Someone will be along shortly to gripe about the backwards safety and tall rings on the CZ, but neither have bothered me one bit. Never have got the gritty feel out of the Mauser action."

I think that sums it up. I've handled lefty versions of both. Both are really pleasant rifles to hunt with. The CZ is more refined.

I kept the mini-mauser, as I didn't like a safety that worked the opposite of everything else.

Ella

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A gritty-schitty CZ 223 twisted 1-12",is a huge bet to lose and an easy Goat [bleep] to pass upon...from any/all angles.

Pass the Montucky 223 and hold the fluff.

Hint.

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boxer
A gritty-schitty CZ 223 twisted 1-12",is a huge bet to lose and an easy Goat [bleep] to pass upon...from any/all angles.

Hint.

Dude, i have no idea what you just said, but if you believe carnal relations with a goat from all angles is easy i would kindly suggest you have not fncked enough goats. Which surprises me.

FWIW, the new 53gr V-max makes 1:12 my preferred twist in a straight .223 again. You are going to have to go up to a 70gr bullet to get a significant improvement in BC, and the small improvement in BC can't compensate for the 500fps you have lost - at least not at any range a .223 can be relied upon to kill at.

CZ527, Lapua brass, 53gr V-max and about 25gr of Benchmark - that is the answer to your question.

Last edited by dhg; 04/14/14.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
dhg,

Hilarious that your sheer and utter [bleep] Stupidity,is what you fancy to be your Trump Card. You are in sooooooooooo [bleep] far over your head,I hope someone starts piping daylight to you,so you won't shut the [bleep] up. Laffin'!

1-12" is a Goat [bleep],despite your having the inability to grasp something so incredibly obvious. Cheer up,as there's hardly a 500fps difference between the 53's .290BC and a 70's .371BC...but it's your Imagination,Pretend with it however you please.

Your Imaginary 223 "experience" is [bleep] hilarious! Mebbe expound on these "distances" at which a 1-12" "excells",if only to add more humor to the equation,even more obliviously. Please do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt,as you talk out your clueless ass even further. Probably a very GOOD [bleep] call to refrain your load's velocity,side step throating and COAL latitude to boot. Laffin'!

Knock it out of the Park,say a leetle sumptin' about the glass you fly on that piece of schit and then muse POA/POI correlations. Laffin'!

A POS Goat [bleep] CZ 527 is a series of heavy concessions,that sail over your pointy-head and tinfoil hat...which is only the beginning of the hilarity!

Where do you incredibly stupid [bleep] come from?!?

Wow +P+!

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dhg
Originally Posted by Boxer

Hint.

Dude, i have no idea what you just said, but if you believe carnal relations with a goat from all angles is easy i would kindly suggest you have not fncked enough goats. Which surprises me.

FWIW, the new 53gr V-max makes 1:12 my preferred twist in a straight .223 again. You are going to have to go up to a 70gr bullet to get a significant improvement in BC, and the small improvement in BC can't compensate for the 500fps you have lost - at least not at any range a .223 can be relied upon to kill at.

CZ527, Lapua brass, 53gr V-max and about 25gr of Benchmark - that is the answer to your question.

Allow me to translate Stick's carefully worded post for you.

The CZ is rough as guts, the 1 in 12 twist is fine for 50gr to 55 gr but is twisted too slow for the projectiles you will be wanting to use if you are twisting knobs and shooting beyond 300 yds....this makes the CZ very easy to pass up.

So a Montana would be more to Stick's liking.

I do not necessarily agree as I have the facility to drive or walk closer to what I want to shoot and am quite happy with using a CZ in .223 with 50gr projectiles, but for those like Stick that enjoy shooting at distance the gist holds true.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Please do not ask me to translate the preceding post as I couldn't be bothered, suffice to say Stick thinks you are a f-wit.

But don't take it to heart as he thinks that everyone is a f-wit.

Have a nice day.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was looking at those supposedly awful in every way, Savage Axis, over at the local Wally World the other day, as they didn't have any Ruger Americans listed in 223...

I wasn't impressed of course with the AXIS, until I asked about the twist on them... was surprised and impressed with the answer from the spec sheet on each...

The 223 comes with a one in 7 twist... the 22.250 comes with a one in 9 twist...

for $289 for a beat around truck gun, that you don't have to worry about... those aren't bad specs...

the Bolts on them were also smoother than I'd give credit for them on..... these are kind of like a spot once held by the old Rem 788s.... rough, cheap and junky looking.. but real shooters

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Just got off the horn with my LGS... He called his Distributers and they still cannot get the SS Ruger American 223. He said there are hundreds on back order through all the Distributers. Apparently Ruger is not shipping them for one reason or another.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not going to pretend to know as much as Boxer on the subject, but, I'm going to second his suggestion. I own(ed) various Mod 70's, a mini mauser, Sako, and a CZ.

The Sako has the smoothest action and the mini mauser is almost identical in size and design. Once worked over by a smith the mini mauser can be nearly as nice as a Sako. However, in factory offerings, they both have small mag boxes and twist rates I'd avoid. A new barrel will fix the twist rate, but the mag box dimensions cannot be overcome. The only CZ that comes with a 1-9 is the varminter. It isn't exactly light, and your COAL is limited by the detachable mag. If you get the right Mod 70, like a Coyote, you'll have a decent twist. You, can also modify the mag box for heavier bullets. But, the action is the same dimensions as the rest of their .473's. It isn't exactly light either. Especially with the tractor axle barrel on the coyote.

The Montana is twisted right from the factory, will shoot any bullet you can stuff in the brass, and it will weigh less than everything I've mentioned. I was to cheap/stupid to buy one myself. Instead I spent even more money trying to build one off a different action. I kick myself every time I think about the one I passed on multiple times.

Today, you may have no desire to shoot anything over 55gr. A couple years from now, if you change your mind, you're screwed. Save yourself time, money, and headaches and get a Montana out of the gate. I sure wish I had. But that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Bought a 700 SPS in 223 the other day, put a Burris P223 4x12 on it and it is a shooter

can't hardly beat it for the price and 5 shots to sight it in..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Seafire
I was looking at those supposedly awful in every way, Savage Axis, over at the local Wally World the other day, as they didn't have any Ruger Americans listed in 223...

I wasn't impressed of course with the AXIS, until I asked about the twist on them... was surprised and impressed with the answer from the spec sheet on each...

The 223 comes with a one in 7 twist... the 22.250 comes with a one in 9 twist...

for $289 for a beat around truck gun, that you don't have to worry about... those aren't bad specs...

the Bolts on them were also smoother than I'd give credit for them on..... these are kind of like a spot once held by the old Rem 788s.... rough, cheap and junky looking.. but real shooters

There is no embarrassment in using a rifle that cost $289.00, I wish to Christ we could purchase them for the same here, use them up and spit them out.

Cheaper than a barrel.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What do Tikkas cost in Oz?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OldRook
Bought a 700 SPS in 223 the other day, put a Burris P223 4x12 on it and it is a shooter

can't hardly beat it for the price and 5 shots to sight it in..

Why so many? whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
What do Tikkas cost in Oz?

QLD gun exchange & fishing has an ad in the last Journal and it lists the cheapest Tikka T3 lite blue with synthetic stock for $930, all the other T3's are from $1200 to $2300.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Only reason I'd not go Ruger is I"ve had one smith already refuse to rebore a barrel on one.

I"d rather have something I can swap parts on.. more mainstream makes more sense to me anyway.

But then I'd still like to have at least a 7 or 8 twist so I just keep my ARs instead.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rost495
Only reason I'd not go Ruger is I"ve had one smith already refuse to rebore a barrel on one.

I"d rather have something I can swap parts on.. more mainstream makes more sense to me anyway.

But then I'd still like to have at least a 7 or 8 twist so I just keep my ARs instead.

Why did they refuse?

Buy once, cry once.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Said they would not take the barrel off the reciever as it was some hokey type setup. Had done it a few times and it was more trouble than worth.

Of course it doesn't matter in a way either unless you are going to replace the barrel or shoot more than about 3500 to 10K rounds depending on the quality of the barrel and your accuracy needs.

I've never been impressed with much of rugers overall quality. Seems designed on the cheap to just get by and slap a gun together as cheaply as they could and still sell for a good amount.

The 77s redone and given to the US Palma team failed miserably, I think 2 out of 12 were accurate enough..... to even use.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by minengr
I'm not going to pretend to know as much as Boxer on the subject, but, I'm going to second his suggestion. I own(ed) various Mod 70's, a mini mauser, Sako, and a CZ.

The Sako has the smoothest action and the mini mauser is almost identical in size and design. Once worked over by a smith the mini mauser can be nearly as nice as a Sako. However, in factory offerings, they both have small mag boxes and twist rates I'd avoid. A new barrel will fix the twist rate, but the mag box dimensions cannot be overcome. The only CZ that comes with a 1-9 is the varminter. It isn't exactly light, and your COAL is limited by the detachable mag. If you get the right Mod 70, like a Coyote, you'll have a decent twist. You, can also modify the mag box for heavier bullets. But, the action is the same dimensions as the rest of their .473's. It isn't exactly light either. Especially with the tractor axle barrel on the coyote.

The Montana is twisted right from the factory, will shoot any bullet you can stuff in the brass, and it will weigh less than everything I've mentioned. I was to cheap/stupid to buy one myself. Instead I spent even more money trying to build one off a different action. I kick myself every time I think about the one I passed on multiple times.

Today, you may have no desire to shoot anything over 55gr. A couple years from now, if you change your mind, you're screwed. Save yourself time, money, and headaches and get a Montana out of the gate. I sure wish I had. But that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

For Kimber prices I'll buy a donor action and build a good rifle every last time. Thats teh only downfall to them that I can see. When it costs what a donor plus a good barrel are to put on or only slightly less, it becomes a build a gun, not buy a gun.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I like the build idea.... and did
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

3 75 Amax's @ 400
[Linked Image]

3 75 gr Amax's @ 644
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

569 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.