Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,339 of 1,842 1 2 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Ron sent me a PM in which he sort of asked me to reflect and give my thoughts as to where I feel we are today in the �deer camp experience� compared to my initial vision and intentions which I shared on page 1 of this � post, thread, story or whatever this is.

It�s not a bad idea and I don�t mind doing so.

This past year, possibly 2 years in particular have been very trying. Very trying times.

Sometimes in life we get derailed, you get enough stuff happening all at the same time and it can just sort of throw the train off the tracks. It�s happened to me.

Our children are growing up, entering adulthood, which doesn�t always go well. My employment in recent years has been nothing short of miserable and mentally torturous, to no fault of anybody in particular, it�s just simply evolved that way. We lost a dear family member, a primary fixture in our deer camp structure and overall chickenbuck group adventure/lifestyle. That doesn�t seem to be getting any easier to deal with or to even think about. We were also basically forced from our home of a dozen years which we literally homesteaded, cleared by hand and built ourselves. We did our best to make the move an improvement, but it still wasn�t easy to do.

Lots of changes, lots of serious changes recently.

And we�re not done yet, for close to 2 years now, Pam and I have felt like the contents of a snow globe that someone has been violently shaking. You know it takes a while for everything to settle down after the shaking stops, but the shaking hasn�t stopped yet. That thing will be shaking for another 3 months, then maybe we can start trying to settle in, see where all the pieces fall.

That is a vague snapshot of the current state of �chickenbuck central command�. lol. grin

Now I�ll try to touch on Ron�s question.

The initial goals for this camp effort were designed around healing, mentoring, uniting and strengthening family. Fun, was a priority. Laughter, memories, tradition.

As for the hunting portion of the plan, It was never about QDM, never competitive, never really all that serious about hunting success. More so it was about the effort, the experience of the effort, the sharing of the experience and the support of each other�s efforts. Learning as we go, passing on what we know and sincerely wishing each other well in our efforts. That was the initial intent and that is now an established camp culture which we continue to maintain.

The sense of belonging is something I wanted to provide from early on. I think that has gone rather well.

Here�s how I see it from where we are today.

Huge success, I mean home run. We achieved more than I ever thought possible. The unity portion of the goal exceeded expectations, that is the understatement of the year right there. The physical occupant members of the group far exceeded expectations with participation coming from cousins, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, parents, friends of relatives, friends of friends� even friends made here on this site that became actual members of our camp.

Then there is this, this �. thread or whatever we call it. 80 million views? Why? It boggles the mind.

All of our virtual camp member regulars that interact here in such a civil manor. Like a group of old men that gather at a small town caf� daily, chit chat about the weather, the world, kids and grand kids, whatever.

I don�t know if moderators have been simply quick and diligent in removing any sort of cyber bully/troll efforts here or if it�s just somehow existed as some sort of �clean zone� all on its own. Regardless, it fascinates me. The fact that people actually can get along just fine on the internet.

Now, as to the activities and adventures we�ve taken on as a group. Once again, exceeds expectations.

Seriously, annual gatherings at deer hunting time would have been a successful accomplishment. But we�ve not limited ourselves to deer season for our �deer camp�.

Let�s see�. We have deer hunting, we have small game hunting, ATV rides, snowmobile rides, firewood gathering, general camp construction/improvement projects including deer stand and trail work. Blueberry picking, bbq cooking and summer night bon fires (all seasons actually).

Those are just the things we do around camp.

As a group away from camp we�ve done boundary waters canoe trips, walleye fishing tournaments, sturgeon fishing, Colorado elk hunting, ice fishing, pontooning� (that is a thing right?)

I�m declaring huge success all around.

Now back to current day. We all suffered a great loss last spring, we lost our Dusty and it�s simply knocked the fun and enthusiasm out of many of us. It�s hard to figure out how to proceed forward without him.

But we have to pause for reflection, think back and ask ourselves why did we start this thing in the first place? It was for healing, it was for forging a path forward out of the darkness of great loss.

It worked back then, and it can work again now.

Somewhere up on a cloud there�s a short guy with a big smile, hair slicked back 60�s style, chained wallet in his blue jeans pocket. And he�s waiting for us to figure it out, we built the tools to deal with this sort of thing almost 7 years ago. Why aren�t we using those tools?

He helped build it all, I mean he really towed the line. And we�re not using it, not correctly anyways, not to its full potential.

It�s as simple as that.

So, I challenge all chickenbuckers that might be checking in here and reading from time to time. Those that find themselves in a bit of a slump like me, get up here. Let�s get out there and dust things off, pick up our old ways, the enthusiasm, smiles and laughs. We don�t need a plan or an agenda, let�s just get out there and do something. The great part about deer camp is that there is ALWAYS something to do, something always needs fixing or improvement lol.

Let�s throw some logs in the fire ring and catch up on each other�s lives. Let�s plan a few adventures/get togethers for this upcoming summer. Call me, txt me, what ever. Lets pick a date, we'll all call/txt each other and who ever can make it will make it. Not everybody can always make it, but that's fine. We just have to get something rolling again.

Ok, now back to our regularly scheduled weather groveling. grin

Something clever here.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Count me in!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
As far as a date... I'm on board for Memorial Day weekend. I might have a crew of kids, it might be me. But I'm in for that, or whenever.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Taylor also suggested that weekend, we were talking about this late last week.

Sounds good to me.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave,

You and Pam know how I feel about you, her, and your family. You also know how I feel about chickenbuck. It's the only real camp I've been a part of. The total camp experience. The one true place that I'm relaxed COMPLETELY at. Even when there's work to do. The work isn't really work, it's fun work.

I saw this guy I only traded posts with on a thread, working his butt off to get his camp ready for deer season, worrying about everything and everyone but himself. I offered a tree-stand to him. He was going to be in Duluth, the same weekend I was so it was a great time to hand it over.

Little did I know we'd be sitting in a tavern sipping beer and chewing burgers, for over a few hours. Just shooting the breeze like we'd known each other for years. Then the rest of your family showed up and it was the same feeling.

The next year I was invited to hunt with you and your family and it was the same...felt like family.

The truth is, that place saved me, and my path in life. In 2007/2008 I had a go of it like you are now. One thing after another, "stuff" piled up. Including losing one of my best friends to cancer and losing my job of 10 years.

My wife was going to school, and we had ZERO money. I mentioned on here I'd lost my job and Dave says..." you're like water. You'll find your level. A man like you will know what to do, and find a way to do it."

That little bit of motivation, might have sounded like somthing you say to a friend, but I took it to heart, and made it work. I went out on a limb and got a job doing something I'd never thought of... and LOVED it. With that work experience, it led me to where I work now, which is truly a dream job for me. It's also motivated me to go to school, and try to earn a better living for my family. Snowball...

As goofy as it sounds, I've made a fair amout of life decisions on what you or Dusty or Pam or Missy would tell me, and guide me.

A big one was how I handled my divorce. I could either mope around and pout about it, or I could pick myself up by the boot laces, and move on with life. I chose to act like an adult, move on, and raise two great kids in the process. Raise them the best I know how, the way I know how, with what I have, not what I want.

Another example is working on my old 78 pick-up. When fixing stuff I think to myslef...Dave would never approve of this repair. And then I have to repair my repair. grin

Being part of Chickenbuck has changed how I look at many things. Living "now" is one of them. It's clich�, but it's true. We don't know what's going to happen. EVER. We can plan, hope, and pray all we want but tomorrow is no guarantee. That is pushing me in a direction that is good for our family...I think.

This post is a long way of saying that Dusty put his hands on this Chickenbuck project because of love. Love for family, love for the woods, love for hunting, and for happiness. I only knew Dusty from Chickenbuck. I didn't know him from when I was a kid, but I'll bet my house on the fact he'd want us to stop being concerned with him and get our asses to camp and have fun.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Taylor also suggested that weekend, we were talking about this late last week.

Sounds good to me.

Will the snow be gone by then? eek

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Ok, now back to our regularly scheduled weather groveling. grin

Beautiful today, rain/snow tomorrow. Grovel, grovel, grovel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Amen to that Brother !!

When life throws you the curve ball, & it will/has, it's in your attitude whether you let it beat you, or hit it outta the park.

From an observer, to the north, I have always admired the way You & Pam continually make the "good" choices.

Our family has been through lots too, not the least of which was a falling out over a family business. This, in turn, caused us to sell everything we owned, in Australia, pack 2 suitcases each & immigrate to a small town, in the middle of nowhere, in rural Canada.

Challenges are just that. A challenge to make us stronger.

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I have been informed by my mature adult counterpart that memorial will not work. a graduation, track meet and a 90th birthday party that weekend.

eek

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been informed by my mature adult counterpart that memorial will not work. a graduation, track meet and a 90th birthday party that weekend.

eek

You have to be talking about me. grin I'd call myself more like the organizer of dates, money and activities.

In between tears and laughter, I got threw the last couple posts. It's all true how Dave put it, all of it. I'm so thankful he can put those words on a page and know that I'm thinking the same thing.

I cherish all that stop by our camp, either on here or in person! What an amazing group we have.

"I'm not crying!!"
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

eek

Good thing the wimmens keep track of stuff for us huh??

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and a 90th birthday party that weekend.

you forgot your own birthday?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well... that's pretty old you know.

I think I was looking for the word "responsible" rather than "mature"

Women can interpret the word "mature" as an insult. We wouldn't want that.

lol.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7

eek

Good thing the wimmens keep track of stuff for us huh??

grin

Well, I got the time off, so we'll have fun without you up there. grin

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Time to step away from the snow globe Dave, gain some distance and perspective, think things through. That sounds like the perfect use for a secluded north woods deer camp! The mind can accomplish almost anything if you give it time and space, like while building a sauna or a porch roof, for example.

I find this old tenet humorous but strangely inspiring: When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. However, if you persevere in draining the swamp you will often find that your alligator problem has also been resolved.

BTW, why the h___ is Minnesota so far from Pennsylvania? A Chickenbuck weekend sounds like serious fun.

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for putting stuff in perspective Dave.

My wife had me remodel our townhouse this winter so we could move and get the little guy settled before first grade. The long winter allowed us to go on the market last weekend at about the perfect time, and our place sold in 3 days for more than we thought it would. We are stressed about not having another place bought yet, etc.... and we're closing end of May.

First-world problems.

Sometime you need that snap-back to reality with some perspective.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow Sno Globe is the perfect way to put it. My wife and I lives have been like this also the last few years. Everytime you get a little settled someone pics it up and gives it a shake. I think it is just the way things are at this period of our lives. Early to mid forties. Kids growing up spreading there wings. Parents and siblings getting older and having there own issues and it seems like everyone looks to you for answers or support. I think this is why some people have mid life crisis issues. Some of us just soldier on. Great thread Chickenbuckers.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave,

What a heartwarming recap of Camp Chickenbuck and what it means to each of us who've been touched by your stories here. We are very lucky to have this thread as a sounding board, and a place to call home. I used to always wear my dad's old red and black plaid Woolrich shirt during deer season to honor him, and keep his memory alive. Now, I have this butt ugly orange t-shirt with a picture of a chickenbuck on it that covers my fat hide on opening day. I wear it with pride and am proud to be an honorary Chickenbucker. I know it's been a tough year on you. Dusty must have been really special. I'm certain he was one I would have liked to share a campfire and a cup of coffee with. I was 21 when my dad died, and the first year of deer season without him at camp was excruciating. My brother and I were the only ones in camp, and we were literally just going through the motions. My solemn vow was to make Dad proud of my efforts that year. The Red Gods cut us a break. My brother and I both tagged out the first morning on clean one shot kills on spike bucks. I'm sure Dad smiled about that.

You have a very good thing going here Dave, and we truly appreciate being a part of it here on the bandwidth of the Campfire.

Thanks for including us, Dave.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That is the Captain Chickenbuck I had been wondering about cause I really hadn't seen him all winter. Good to see you back Dave. I hope things smooth out for you. If the snow ever melts get your butt to Chickenbuck. Kill a swamp squid or kill a grouse with a beer bottle. It will make you feel better.
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That was a very touching post Dave.

I think we've all been where you are at one time or another. Something that helps me get through the day is that I remind myself that someone has it worse off than me and I should count my lucky stars that I have my family, my health, and a roof over my head. The rest will figure itself out. As they say, the pendulum always swings back the other way.

As for Dusty, it's ok to feel loss. His legacy are the nails that hold Camp Chickenbuck together. You gave him life again. Chickenbuck gave him purpose. My father lost his youngest son three months before Waylon. For seven years my dad has been a shell of the man he once was. Gave up hunting, golf, just about everything. He has essentially stopped living after my brothers passing. Chickenbuck was Uncle Dusty's renewal and he grabbed it with a passion, as evidenced by the art on his forearm.

This thread helps my healing, even though I've never had the pleasure of meeting any one of you in person. I hope we can have many more talks over "coffee at the cafe". It certainly brightens my day.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Page 1,339 of 1,842 1 2 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
547 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.