24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't remember what kind of wood this is but it's going on my High Wall Custom.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't have a pic of the action but maybe okie will snap a few and post them.
It's a Denis Fekin High Wall action and I bought a Lilja,stainless, octagonal barrel that has a 1-8 twist. It's probably going to finish at about 26 inches.
It's going to be a 6x57mm rimmed,Ackley Improved.
The action is going to be engraved with prickly pears and barbed wire. I'm also going to have it Cera-kote finished in a brushed satin stainless.The barrel is also going to be Cera-koted in regular gun blue.
I have a pic of a rifle that's the model for this one.
This is close except it won't have sights. I have a Leupold 6X42 that will top it.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BrotherBart; 04/16/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dat's pretty yummy wood smile

How do you like the quality of the action? I remember you buying it and posting about it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is indeed gorgeous wood.

Something to consider...

I recently had a custom rifle done in 257 Roberts AI. I bought the claro-style, massively ornate, wood in a large slab with room for two sets of wood for two piece, Ruger #1 barrelled actions.

I sent the prettiest set to the smith who made it up despite some unspoken misgivings about the lack of straight grain through the wrist. In test firing prior to checkering, a portion of the wrist broke off. He repaired the piece so it is all but invisible, tested a box of new Roberts factory ammo through the rifle, and is recheckering it now. He also took the other two piece set I had -- not as pretty overall but with straight grain though the wrist -- and made an exact copy for the rifle w/o extra charge. (He said he should have followed his instincts and rejected the first set.) I am happy with the arrangement as I have a stock for use in the field and a back up for display.

There was also an option of having a smith reinforce the wrist without the straight grain using a brass rod prior to test firing. That step would have made a stock with a strong, truly invisible fix.

I'm not saying your experience has to be the same but it might be worth talking it over with your smith.

Regards,
1B

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Dat's pretty yummy wood smile

How do you like the quality of the action? I remember you buying it and posting about it.

I think the action is a beefier version of the modern 1885's.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1B
I have a stock for use in the field and a back up for display.

I'm glad you reminded me of that and I'll make sure that it's done right.
One thing about my rifles is that they are tools. Some are just prettier tools than others. If I wanted to have things just for display,I'd sell my guns and start collecting paintings. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would think a 6x57 would be mild enough in recoil that you could get away with fancy wood throughout the butt, but 1B does have a valid point. There was a M70 Super Grade in .300 mag at a local Gander's that had really nice wood, but a really goofed layout, and I expect it to break the wrist at some point. I had to pass on it frown

I like the idea of that barbed wire & prickly pear layout; sounds like a fine whitetail & axis rifle.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
As others have mentioned, it appears in the pictures that the grain that would be from the action to the grip might not be ideal for a Win 1885. Maybe better pictures of that area will give us a better idea. However, since the 1885 does not have a stock thru bolt to the action, there is no support.

I've stocked several original 1885's in very fancy wood but had good grain thru this area. Wood without good grain thru the grip can, however, be used successfully on rifles like the No. 1, Ballards, and Winchester model 12's etc. since they have a draw bolt and provide needed support.
Phil

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TenX,

My 257 Roberts AI is a Ruger #1 and it broke at the wrist. I'm not saying that all will break but some will w/o reinforcement.

I think the draw bolt indeed assures a snug fit when tightened down the right way. But the compression force of recoil on the irregular burls in fancy wood at the marrow wrist sometimes can still concentrate too much pressure on weak joins in the wood.

1B

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes sense, all right. Even on really high end guns, where money is no object, you'll see straight grain through the wrist.

so clearly we need to save Bart from his untrustworthy piece of wood. I'll bid $100...

grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

so clearly we need to save Bart from his untrustworthy piece of wood. I'll bid $100...

grin

Whata guy!!!
That's why I love this place. Everyone watches out for each other. grin
I'll dig a pic or two up about what I know about high end stock problems.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is my 70's Ruger M77 in 257AI.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I completely understand custom stocks being weak.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Fancy figure thru the grip area is not a complete no-no, it depends on the grain and kind of figure. Fiddleback figure thru a grip with good grain thru the area is perfectly fine and maybe be better than without the fiddleback. I'm told the fiddleback figure is caused by the tree strengthening the wood by putting it across the grain. Burl type figure thru the grip is an absolute no go.
Phil

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.