Campfire Kahuna
I
Kinda gnarly, Mon'! Don't Bogart!
=========

Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

By Loren Grush
Published April 15, 2014�
FoxNews.com

Casual marijuana use may come with some not-so-casual side effects.

For the first time, researchers at Northwestern University have analyzed the relationship between casual use of marijuana and brain changes � and found that young adults who used cannabis just once or twice a week showed significant abnormalities in two important brain structures.

The study�s findings, to be published Wednesday in the Journal of Neuroscience, are similar to those of past research linking chronic, long-term marijuana use with mental illness and changes in brain development.

Dr. Hans Breiter, co-senior study author, said he was inspired to look at the effects of casual marijuana use after previous work in his lab found that heavy cannabis use caused similar brain abnormalities to those seen in patients with schizophrenia.

"The interaction of marijuana with brain development could be a significant problem."
- Dr. Hans Breiter, co-senior study author

�There were abnormalities in their working memory, which is fundamental to everything you do,� Breiter, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, told FoxNews.com. �When you make judgments or decisions, plan things, do mathematics � anything you do always involves working memory. It�s one of the core fundamental aspects of our brains that we use every day. So given those findings, we decided we need to look at casual, recreational use.�

For their most recent study, Breiter and his team analyzed a very small sample of patients between the ages of 18 and 25: 20 marijuana users and 20 well-matched control subjects. The marijuana users had a wide range of usage routines, with some using the drug just once or twice a week and others using it every single day.

Utilizing magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the researchers analyzed the participants� brains, focusing on the nucleus accumbens (NAC) and the amygdala � two key brain regions responsible for processing emotions, making decisions and motivation. They looked at these brain structures in three different ways, measuring their density, volume and shape.

According to Breiter, all three were abnormal in the casual marijuana users.

�For the NAC, all three measures were abnormal, and they were abnormal in a dose-dependent way, meaning the changes were greater with the amount of marijuana used,� Breiter said. �The amygdala had abnormalities for shape and density, and only volume correlated with use. But if you looked at all three types of measures, it showed the relationships between them were quite abnormal in the marijuana users, compared to the normal controls.�

Because these brain regions are central for motivation, the findings from Northwestern help support the well-known theory that marijuana use leads to a condition called amotivation. Also called amotivational syndrome, this psychological condition causes people to become less oriented towards their goals and purposes in life, as well as seem less focused in general.

Given these eye-opening results, Breiter said that more research is needed to look into marijuana�s effects on the brain � even in those who use the drug only once or twice a month.

�We need to see what happens longitudinally,� Breiter said. �What happens as you follow people over time? What happens if they stop using � do these bad effects continue? What happens if you can intervene early?...My worry is we haven�t studied this compound and here we are looking to change legislation on it.�

Although Breiter�s team members did not examine the patients� cognitive symptoms, they do believe that the brain abnormalities seen in their study could lead to substantial effects on brain development and behavior, especially given the young ages of the participants. Breiter also acknowledged the problems of analyzing a very small study sample � but said that their findings should still serve as a wake-up call to others.

�This study is just a beginning pilot study, but at the same time, the results that came out are the same as a canary in a coal mine,� Breiter said. �...The interaction of marijuana with brain development could be a significant problem.�

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Know thet cant' bee truu. Eye'm fyne. Reele eye am.

Wayt, watt wur wee talkeeng ubowt?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you had any clue bout how these studies are conducted in the US you would take them with a ton of skepticism....."junk science" comes to mind cause they are rigged from the very start.....not saying the stuff is harmless, never said that, only said it aint any worse and in alot of ways a whole lot less dangerous than alot of chit docs give yah without thinking twice.....Tylenol is extremely dangerous if you dont pay attention and its sold over the counter....

but seriously unless the study is coming out a major medical institute of some other western country i dont pay much attention to it when it comes to marijuana....and no even those arent all favorable but atleast i know they are largely unbiased..

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In short, dope retards motivation. Who'd a thunk?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude, don't give Sheridan any excuses for his behavior! grin

In all honesty, I don't envy your pain Sheridan, not one little bit. If you have found something that helps, then I really cannot judge you.

Hope that today is a good one for ya...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, that certainly explains this:

[Linked Image]

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
atleast
===

See?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
atleast
===

See?

laugh

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

keep in mind alot of these studies in the US are gone into with a predetermined outcome.....and before some one cries "paranoid" or "conspiracy theory" its along the same lines of the man made global warming BS.....only way to get support for doing the study is if you come out with the outcome those giving the grants want.....junk science at its finest....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Laffin'!

I so knew that was coming. Payback's a bish,bro'!

William Arthur Ward

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I highly dis-agree with this statement. I don't smoke it, but I know several people that do, some of them are the most highly motivated people I know, a doctor, couple of lawyers and highly skilled professionals. I'm not saying it don't make a lot of people worthless and lazy, but I think they were that way to begin with, weed just makes it worse for them.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A doctor and a couple of lawyers? They are doing coke for the GO times.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

LOL, no kidding.

"Just a little to even me out"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

LOL, no kidding.

"Just a little to even me out"

Nope, big time against it, the green is recreational only, weekend types.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having lived for the past couples decades in a little town where the use of the stuff by adolescent and adult males is said to be in the 90 percentiles, and seeing what it does to people, nothing would surprise me regarding changes to the brain, mind, psyche......

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mirage243

I highly dis-agree with this statement. I don't smoke it, but I know several people that do, some of them are the most highly motivated people I know, a doctor, couple of lawyers and highly skilled professionals. I'm not saying it don't make a lot of people worthless and lazy, but I think they were that way to begin with, weed just makes it worse for them.

Yeah, been there with a few of those seemingly motivated types in the "professions" - those who have not might be much surprised at some of their primary motivations. No matter how affable and convivial, NEVER would I hire one for an organization about which I care.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CCCC

Yeah, been there with a few of those seemingly motivated types in the "professions" - those who have not might be much surprised at some of their primary motivations. No matter how affable and convivial, NEVER would I hire one for an organization about which I care.

Would you hire one that drinks alcohol?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Having lived for the past couples decades in a little town where the use of the stuff by adolescent and adult males is said to be in the 90 percentiles, and seeing what it does to people, nothing would surprise me regarding changes to the brain, mind, psyche......

So does that put you in or out of the 90%?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
they could have just saved their money and asked me about it......Every kid I knew in high school that was a big Mary Jane fan is still as stone stupid as they were then.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have hired folks who drink alchohol but would never hire an alchoholic - and have let more than one person go because of the effects of their alchohol abuse. Alchohol abuse is a genuine problem but, with regard to performance in a demanding profession, if you are assuming to in some way equate the usual effects of even regular moderate alchohol ingestion with the effects of ingesting weed, cocaine, meth, etc. - you might wish think again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would you hire a sober alcoholic......? Sober 20-30 yrs that is ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have hired folks who drink alchohol but would never hire an alchoholic - and have let more than one person go because of the effects of their alchohol abuse. Alchohol abuse is a genuine problem but, with regard to performance in a demanding profession, if you are assuming to in some way equate the usual effects of even regular moderate alchohol ingestion with the effects of ingesting weed, cocaine, meth, etc. - you might wish think again.

not necessarily, when you met down in NM i was taking enough morphine every day to kill someone your size that doesnt have a tolerance built up and was/am on a drug that im taking specifically cause it phugs with how my brain is wired to try and slow down the pain signals.....no one seemed to have a problem that i was packing a gun around and shooting with everyone....

everyone seems alright with this but damn if i want to use a lil pot instead so i dont have to deal with the chitty side effects of the two drugs im on.....though the pot works better than those two pills and at a dose that leaves me clear headed...

Last edited by rattler; 04/16/14.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[/quote]

I have hired folks who drink alchohol but would never hire an alchoholic - and have let more than one person go because of the effects of their alchohol abuse. Alchohol abuse is a genuine problem but, with regard to performance in a demanding profession, if you are assuming to in some way equate the usual effects of even regular moderate alchohol ingestion with the effects of ingesting weed, cocaine, meth, etc. - you might wish think again. [/quote]

You can leave the meth and cocaine out of the equation, not advocating that at all. I have seen the effects of weed and alcohol and they don't affect everyone the same way, some are bad for some and some are bad for others, whether you believe so or not, they don't affect everyone the same way.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I smoked 1/4 to 1/2 oz a week for almost five years. While in college, had some sticky-icky helped me through a semester of Trig. Pulled an A out of that class. Finished my B of S with a 3.89 in a scientific field. Not some lame ass no thinking political science courses.

It definitely gives a man the ability to compartmentalize complex situations AND solve them. It also gave me the super human abilities to recognize bullshit when I see and hear it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Didn't take an expensive study for me to see that daily pot users burned their brains. Motivated you say? The only motivation I observed was the motivation to get more pot and come up with innovtive ways to smoke/ingest it. Most laid around all day with their eyes looking like two pizz holes in the snow, pretty worthless. This was in Colorado in the late 70's before the state became the dope den it is today.

Last edited by gunswizard; 04/16/14.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Visualize Whirled Peas

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know too many functioning tokers to say the stuff demotivates you. In fact, I know some very good businessmen that get high and brainstorm marketing ideas. They are very wealthy follks and lead normal lives.

Also know some folks that smoke it before they get on the treadmill. Says it takes there mind off of the boring workout.

Last edited by Toddly; 04/16/14.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
^^^^ me too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Toddly
I know too many functioning tokers to say the stuff demotivates you. In fact, I know some very good businessmen that get high and brainstorm marketing ideas. They are very wealthy follks and lead normal lives.

Also know some folks that smoke it before they get on the treadmill. Says it takes there mind off of the boring workout.

What were they marketing ?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I could lay 5 squares of architechural shingles per hour while stoned off my ass.

And my [bleep] looked good.

The more shingles I layed,
the more money I earned,
the better green I could smoke.

A few shots of calvin klien escape to cover the skunk stench and I could sell a $10k roofing job to the cougar next door. I had the silver tongue. I could size up your personality triats on the doorstep in 5 seconds and play the act that fit. Rarely missed a sale.

Trane air conditioners are built every day by stoners. The best A/C in USA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Toddly

LOL

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

straight to the point there pat

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

BTW, anybody who plays golf knows that after some folks get a few holes out on the course, out comes the reefer to go with their beer. Those guys are in arrested adolescence, and they're usually the local 'pillars of the community'. I'm just pointing that out.....

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of alcoholics function brilliantly; which is not to say alcohol doesn't cause brain damage.
It's almost Miller time!

Last edited by night_owl; 04/16/14.

abusus non tollit usum
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am living proof that the study is [bleep].

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Funded by the liquor industry, no doubt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Want to know how dope screws up your thinking, just look at the president.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wish I could smoke dope but it almost always made me a paranoid, neurotic mess when I tried it. Not fun.

Most people can handle it just fine.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by slumlord
I could lay 5 squares of architechural shingles per hour while stoned off my ass.

the more money I earned,

A few shots of calvin klien escape to cover the skunk stench and I could sell a $10k roofing job to the cougar next door. I had the silver tongue. I could size up your personality triats on the doorstep in 5 seconds and play the act that fit. Rarely missed a sale.

That's pretty good. Could you bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan too?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

That [bleep] was born that way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

And those who voted him into office...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Would you hire a sober alcoholic......? Sober 20-30 yrs that is ?

Yes, and I have done so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler

not necessarily, when you met down in NM i was taking enough morphine every day to kill someone your size that doesnt have a tolerance built up and was/am on a drug that im taking specifically cause it phugs with how my brain is wired to try and slow down the pain signals.....no one seemed to have a problem that i was packing a gun around and shooting with everyone....

everyone seems alright with this but damn if i want to use a lil pot instead so i dont have to deal with the chitty side effects of the two drugs im on.....though the pot works better than those two pills and at a dose that leaves me clear headed...

Sheridan, I sure am in your corner when it comes to those and other efforts to manage your pain, and you know that, for my part, you are welcome (encouraged) to participate in any of our campfire rondys.

Friendship among good people is one thing, but taking the responsibility for putting a person on a company payroll, compete with performance expectations and liability is another. My comments were directed specifically there.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Pretty comical using weed, cocaine and meth in the same sentence. Unless one has personal experience, their words are, well, useless.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Pretty comical using weed, cocaine and meth in the same sentence. Unless one has personal experience, their words are, well, useless.

Must admit I have never used any of those and so apparently you see my words there as "useless". Why would that be?

Having close experience with users of all those - and other drugs - and having witnessed manifold the resulting havoc/cost/degredation/heartbreak loss/etc., it is difficult to find anything comical about using those terms in the same sentence. Maybe your sense of humor is much more sophisticated than mine and you might explain where "comical" enters the exchange.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This study admittedly used a very small sample. 20 subjects and 20 for the "control" group? I think we need much more to go on. How many variable factors were going on? I don't even know if THC was the only substance the subjects were putting in their bodies. I don't know their nutritional status, which is very important, and especially for younger people when their brains are still developing. The study admits to not even knowing if the brain "abnormalities" are lasting. It would be helpful to see a study of over 1,000 subjects and then control it for other variables.

The motive for ingesting THC is to get high. However, there are many people who are using some of the marijuana plant for pain control only. If they were to have a drug test, they would barely register on the THC reading because we are talking about a different derivative of the marijuana plant that comes in several forms.

I have to honestly say that if my chronic pain was significantly compounded, narcotics were losing their effect, my quality of life was in the toilet, and I was out of options, I just might have to ask myself, "Does the benefit outweigh any risk"?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Asphaltangel

I have to honestly say that if my chronic pain was significantly compounded, narcotics were losing their effect, my quality of life was in the toilet, and I was out of options, I just might have to ask myself, "Does the benefit outweigh any risk"?

Haven't smoked pot in many years, but to be totally honest about it, I never recall it having any pain killing properties.

As for risk,...*shrugg*,..I don't know of any.

Too much of it will make a person sit around, eat ice cream, listen to music,..and ponder things to a level far beyond their significance.

In moderation, it enhances whatever feelings you may have towards an endeavor or experience,...both good and bad.

Unlike alcohol,...it's not something to use to "dull" an experience.

I'll put it this way.

It's good for going fishing on a sunny, spring morning.

It's bad for attending a funeral.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I agree.

Were I to be in pain, I wouldn't be looking for a dime bag.

Back in my drinking days, when I felt a possible hour of pain, a half a 5th and 2 Anacin extra strengths helped me make it till the liquor stores opened again.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Asphaltangel

Haven't smoked pot in many years, but to be totally honest about it, I never recall it having any pain killing properties.

As for risk,...*shrugg*,..I don't know of any.

Too much of it will make a person sit around, eat ice cream, listen to music,..and ponder things to a level far beyond their significance.

In moderation, it enhances whatever feelings you may have towards an endeavor or experience,...both good and bad.

Unlike alcohol,...it's not something to use to "dull" an experience.

I'll put it this way.

There is a derivative of the marijuana plant [not THC] that assists with pain management. Some people say it's more effective than narcotics for controlling pain. This is why there is medical doctors that will tell their patients to use it when everything they have prescribed won't touch the pain.

And BTW, I sit around, eat ice cream, and listen to music, etc. without any 'pot'. No altered mood state required. LOL

Last edited by Asphaltangel; 04/16/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Ummm....

Yeah....

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

the more money I earned,

You must live in the south.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Yeah,...I mashed my thumb *bad* at work one day back when I was about 21, or so.

I don't specifically recall if I had any pot at the time,...probably did. But I didn't even consider using it for pain relief.

It would have just made me sit and think, "Holy chit!,..my thumb fuggin' hurts!"

I *did* drink a couple of bottles of wine,...which helped a bit.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
marijuana use leads to a condition called amotivation. Also called amotivational syndrome, this psychological condition causes people to become less oriented towards their goals and purposes in life,

Probably because it causes them to pause and think deeply about their goals and purposes in life,...and to reach the conclusion that they're totally insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

,...like Mr Natural says,..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sheridan, I sure am in your corner when it comes to those and other efforts to manage your pain, and you know that, for my part, you are welcome (encouraged) to participate in any of our campfire rondys.

Friendship among good people is one thing, but taking the responsibility for putting a person on a company payroll, compete with performance expectations and liability is another. My comments were directed specifically there.

i am fully in the group of letting employers drug test....especially in jobs where someone can easily get maimed or killed due to someones inattentiveness....

but my point mainly was just cause someone is on something that can alter them doesnt mean they are altered.....most that dont know me very well and know my history have zero clue that im on a real large dose of narcotics...as my daughters boy friend put it when he found out most cant figure out why i aint sitting in a corner drooling on myself....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I'll put it this way.

I wish I'd have asked my pot smoking fishing buddy about that one. He died Tue. morning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JFC, rattler.. WTF are you putting on line 12e when you're buying a gun?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ultra small sample size, no correlations for other factors, no allowance for off use symptoms, and no measurement of cognitive performance.

Yep. Typical FUX News 'science'....

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

By deduction the Municipal tax based employee that makes a living arresting dope smokers share a common motivation.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by deflave

the more money I earned,

You must live in the south.

Travis

Slumlord, don�t worry about Travis; he�s such a provincial bumpkin that he doesn�t have an ATM or debit card.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
JFC, rattler.. WTF are you putting on line 12e when you're buying a gun?

LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually havent even bought a gun since i started using pot again so hasnt come up.....as for the morphine given its given to me by a doc it sure in the hell aint illegal and aint abusing it so i could honestly answer no to it.....been told by 7 orthopods and 2 pain specialists the only guaranteed way for me to be able to quit the opiates is amputation...total knee replacement may or may not get me off them depending on alot of unknown factors and since no ortho will give me new knees at the moment anyway cause i can still walk ok most of the time i cant even give it a shot....

Last edited by rattler; 04/17/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bullshit. Wise up and quit posting this stuff or keep proving everyone's point.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Uriah

Slumlord, don�t worry about Travis; he�s such a provincial bumpkin that he doesn�t have an ATM or debit card.

I don't think slumlord focuses on me as much as you do.

Were you a Green Beret?

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what bullchit? you have any clue how many hoops ive got to jump through in order to get my pain meds? i get a statewide search on what hospitals and pharmacies i go to for my meds done on me every 6 months to show i aint doctor shopping....anyone thats met me in the last 30 months has seen me on 120mg plus of morphine a day which means even Travis has seen me on it along with everyone i met in Tennessee and New Mexico at the two get togethers....

i started using the pot again after more or less an 11 year break back in November, last gun i bought was a shotgun back in July or August.....work where i do for the time off, not the money so i dont buy guns to often anyway....

so where is the bullchit?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
120mg plus of morphine a day which means even Travis has seen me on it

I can certainly attest to that one.

I never seen a guy so fascinated with a gun magazine in my life.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol, i was the first one there beating everyone by near an hour, was reading and had the music going.....didnt hear you and BGG pull up.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nor did you see us drive past, turn around and park beside you. Or see me roll my window down a foot away from your door. We sat there for quite awhile.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How come you never visit me? The only thing I'd be reading was all of your old posts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pretty good at tuning out the world when reading.....besides that aint a symptom or opiates anyway, if anything they make it harder to concentrate....was looking down, not up so didnt see you and the music was on so sure didnt hear you two....always been a bookworm, drugs or no, and if im locked into what im reading takes a fair bit to break my attention....and like i said had been sitting around waiting for most of an hour so had more than enough time to get absorbed into what i was reading...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Actually that was not tested. It actually said brain development was different not better or worse. The testees were not actually tested in any way for performance. I have noticed that a lot of gifted musicians perform better when just a bit stoned, many artists paint beautiful pieces when stoned to their preferred level. Pot has been positively linked with greater creativity. If a bit of short term memory loss mitigates your temper when someone has pissed you off how is that bad? I like a good straight bourbon which by all accounts has been shown to be much more damaging than marijuana. As a pain killer the negative side effects are nothing compared to those that are opiate based or even the abuse of aspirin. Consider the deaths attributed to Tylenol and the none attributed to marijuana it makes you wonder about the fairness and motive of the study.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm a little scared to visit TX. All I've seen is the panhandle on my way through. Stopped to see what I thought was a stripper joint, ended up being a damn sex-shop and my suburban broke down in the parking lot. That was the last time I was in TX, kinda scarred me.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Friendly word of advice Sheridan, just stop now. Please.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOLOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's funny because it's true. The Panhandle part is hilarious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Honestly, that's the part that's the most bothersome for me that people are walking around "appearing" normal with doses of [bleep] in them that would kill anyone else. You remember the friend I told you about last year that was taking 17 oxycontin's per day ? He died from a stroke shortly after the doctor tried getting him off of it. Very sad as he was a great guy and a very good friend.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It's funny because it's true. The Panhandle part is hilarious.

I gotta tell ya'. That was the only part of that state I would deem normal.

Travis

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I kind of like the Panhandle.....

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I'm a little scared to visit TX. All I've seen is the panhandle on my way through. Stopped to see what I thought was a stripper joint, ended up being a damn sex-shop and my suburban broke down in the parking lot. That was the last time I was in TX, kinda scarred me.
I can imagine having to go inside and ask the big girl with purple hair and the fishin tackle in her face if she could jump you off.

LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The interaction of marijuana with brain development could be a significant problem."
- Dr. Hans Breiter, co-senior study author

For their most recent study, Breiter and his team analyzed a very small sample of patients between the ages of 18 and 25: 20 marijuana users and 20 well-matched control subjects. The marijuana users had a wide range of usage routines, with some using the drug just once or twice a week and others using it every single day.

�We need to see what happens longitudinally,� Breiter said.

Sounds like an articulate, statistically viable and well executed study. Laffin'

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Honestly, that's the part that's the most bothersome for me that people are walking around "appearing" normal with doses of [bleep] in them that would kill anyone else. You remember the friend I told you about last year that was taking 17 oxycontin's per day ? He died from a stroke shortly after the doctor tried getting him off of it. Very sad as he was a great guy and a very good friend.

ild give my left nut to get off it, unfortunately i aint cutting off my legs and going to a wheel chair to do it which is the only option at the moment.....hell with ObamaCare may be the only option i ever have though.....

ive spent the equivalent of two nice African safaris talking to any expert that thinks they have an option over the last 15 years so that i can give up the pills.....and thats out of pocket and not what the insurance companies have picked up....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ill also add, 3 years ago Mayo received my file with x-rays and MRI.....answer my doc got back was basically "yep from the x-rays looks like he is in a lot of pain but nothing to be done until he is a better candidate for total replacement so dont bother sending him out, nothing we can do" after i got that response i got a appointment with the sports medicine guys out at the University of Washington in Seattle to talk to the guys that do lots of work on the knees of young athletes.....got the same answer from them as Mayo gave me....

you got a real [bleep] solution for me im all ears......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Put me in the "I like money more than changing the way I feel" camp. I wonder how much $ a guy could spend on booze and dope in a year.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
Put me in the "I like money more than changing the way I feel" camp.

You'll get over that once the DOW takes a big chit.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I

=========

Think of the bright side...we didn't buy gold at 1382.

William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I pulled mostly out taking profits, to shuffle some things around a bit as things went up to high. I'm going stay out of it until after fishing season is over in Oct. Upgrading boats too, so I might be lean for a year or two.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

=========

Think of the bright side...we didn't buy gold at 1382.

There is no bright side when the government is running trillion dollar annual deficits funded by fiat money produced by the Fed,..

,...but we do what we can.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Palidun
Actually that was not tested. It actually said brain development was different not better or worse. The testees were not actually tested in any way for performance. I have noticed that a lot of gifted musicians perform better when just a bit stoned, many artists paint beautiful pieces when stoned to their preferred level. Pot has been positively linked with greater creativity. If a bit of short term memory loss mitigates your temper when someone has pissed you off how is that bad? I like a good straight bourbon which by all accounts has been shown to be much more damaging than marijuana.

As a pain killer the negative side effects are nothing compared to those that are opiate based or even the abuse of aspirin. Consider the deaths attributed to Tylenol and the none attributed to marijuana it makes you wonder about the fairness and motive of the study.

Well said on the validity of the study and use of marijuana as a pain killer vs. narcotics. I used to think there was no good use for marijuana and that it only had to do with "stoners". I started listening to another point of view when I experienced "break through" pain to the point of being in tears and knowing there was no easy way out. Fortunately, I can still manage it at this point and I'm not forced to make that decision like some have had to do. It would be interesting to know how many people even have a frame of reference [either themselves or someone you they are very close to]for high levels of chronic pain. It sure changed my attitude.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

Must admit I have never used any of those and so apparently you see my words there as "useless". Why would that be?

Having close experience with users of all those - and other drugs - and having witnessed manifold the resulting havoc/cost/degredation/heartbreak loss/etc., it is difficult to find anything comical about using those terms in the same sentence. Maybe your sense of humor is much more sophisticated than mine and you might explain where "comical" enters the exchange.

Waiting !!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One one hand I think medical pot is a scam for stoners to get high. On the other I had a aunt that just died from pills. She started taking pills due to chronic pain from a major car wreck. Dope might have been a better option, if it really works for pain.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Exactly.

I just sent a text to my pharm D sister who works kidney and liver transplants at Cornell. She said for chronic pain pot is next to useless. She also said its somewhat useful for cancer patients as it pertains to increasing appetite and decreasing nausea.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Exactly.

I just sent a text to my pharm D sister who works kidney and liver transplants at Cornell. She said for chronic pain pot is next to useless. She also said its somewhat useful for cancer patients as it pertains to increasing appetite and decreasing nausea.

its not useless for chronic pain....actually kinda interested where she gets that cause i can tell you that it does work, and for different types of chronic pain.....hell thats one of the major reasons i started using it cause it helped with the pain when i had to spend a 8 hour shift on my feet back before my wife insisted i give it up and go to the doc for legal pain killers.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
how drugs effect individuals is as damn near varied as individuals

lots of folks drink, some get hooked on it, some don't, some drunks are mean, some happy, sometimes it magnifies their normal personality, in others it's the Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde example

from my experience with pot (plenty) it's the same

haven't smoked any in years, but smoked mine and a few others share with my best bud growin up, he had his own biz by 19 and has done extremely well

like me I think he put the pot aside when he started having kids.

know a local attorney, sharp guy, mad skills, carpentry, automotive, a real DFY kinda guy.

still likes to toke up regularly (or last I knew he did)

but he can be an azz, am glad he smokes dope, can't imagine how he'd be without it (brrr)

and for everyone of those examples of guys that get high and still produce and create, I can give you examples of guys I knew that are still working summers, collectin UE in the winter and don't have much to show for it but an old cabin and truck.

everybody's different

but for god's sake Bob at least maybe now you can understand how guys like me and Bristoe ended up being such RP supporters! (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
im gonna dumb this down a bit cause other wise there is gonna be a chit load of latin that prolly a handful of members here(the docs) are gonna understand....

pot should work on pain, there is no reason i can figure out why it wouldnt.....why do i think this beyond my own experiance? every person here if subjected to a sensitive enough test would pop positive for pot....the reason? your body makes variations on the chemicals found on pot, as of this time i believe 7 have been discovered.....one of them based on the current study shows strong corilation to how the brain deals with pain signals....

so if our body is making its own cannabis chemicals to help it deal with pain how would adding more of these chemicals to a persons system by using marijuana not be able to help with pain? our body is already wired from birth to use these chemicals to help with pain....now they prolly do not work on the site of the injury like NSAIDs like Advil do, they likely act deeper with in the nervous system but scientifically speaking there is no reason why they should not work for pain....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I know a Vietnam vet thay uses. A nurse asked him once about how the pot worked for pain. He told her that if he looked at or concentrated on his knee, there was still pain. Then looked up and said, "Oh look, a butterfly"!

Point being, it allows him the distraction of thinking about it and can get on with his day. BTW, he has had three knee replacements, both elbows, and countless other problems associated with AO and degenerative bone/cancer issues.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by calikooknic
I know a Vietnam vet thay uses. A nurse asked him once about how the pot worked for pain. He told her that if he looked at or concentrated on his knee, there was still pain. Then looked up and said, "Oh look, a butterfly"!

Point being, it allows him the distraction of thinking about it and can get on with his day. BTW, he has had three knee replacements, both elbows, and countless other problems associated with AO and degenerative bone/cancer issues.

if yah want to be technical about it, thats how it was explained to me years ago as to how opiates work....opiates do not get rid of any pain they just make the brain not care that it is getting pain signals.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in all actuality i kinda wish it didnt work......because it does work it puts me me in a situation that is complicated and a PITA....leaving for Texas on Friday and will be gone for 10 days.....not bringing any of my cannabis drops with me cause i dont dare travel with them, especially not when im traveling in someone elses vehicle....i aint selfish enough that i am willing to risk causing a headache for someone else even if the chance it even becomes an issue is remote....

so yeah ive got something that works great for pain, in some ways alot better than the opiates(atleast has fewer bad side effects if nothing else) the doc gives me but i can only use them while im at home or if im willing to take the risk when i happen to be traveling by myself....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rattler, Im just tellin you what she said. I will say shes pretty damn smart, has a doctorate and a 4.0 GPA. If she says it, I trust it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if she is going by studies out of the US i wouldnt doubt it cause .gov has rigged them along the lines of whats happened with all the man made global warming BS...either you say it has no value or we take away your federal funding which means there is a chitload of junk science out there.....

she ought to take a look at studies coming from western nations other than the US.....the UK, Germany, Japan, Israel, France..... hell even Canada.....and no they dont shine a positive light on all aspects but atleast its real science and not political BS....

Last edited by rattler; 04/23/14.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's ok some people don't believe in acupuncture or chiropractors either.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by eh76

Or witchdoctors..

Last edited by BWalker; 04/23/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your problem I guess.......

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Canada is your brain.

The US, is your brain on drugs. whistle grin

Now that ought to light a few up. shocked

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Your problem I guess.......

Ive went to a chiro and I felt better after. A massage might have done the same thing. However, I have no belief that chiro's can cure disease.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

actually whats scary is ive run into two docs that dont believe migraines exist.....i was dragged out of the ER one time cause one told me my wife was nothing but a drug seeking addict cause there is no such thing as migraines....i was determined to drag his arse down to my shop and put his head in a vise and ask him if his head hurt....

Last edited by rattler; 04/23/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
on the chiro thing......for what they can help with they are better than a doctor....main thing is getting a good honest chiro that isnt just out to collect a fee for a visit and will tell you and actually knows when they can help you and when not to touch you and insist you see a doc.....have a guy locally worth his weight in gold.....when i hurt my back he refused to touch me till he saw the x-ray results and was sure he could actually help me and not hurt me further....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

actually whats scary is ive run into two docs that dont believe migraines exist.....i was dragged out of the ER one time cause one told me my wife was nothing but a drug seeking addict cause there is no such thing as migraines....i was determined to drag his arse down to my shop and put his head in a vise and ask him if his head hurt....

I have had problems with migraines and have never been given a narcotic for them. The current drug I have for them is taken when you feel one coming on and it stops it right now. Imitrex is what I believe its called.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suffered from them terribly, thought they were sinus headaches since they were centered behind the eyes but no sinus medicine ever helped. Tried some Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) I had one day that the dentist had given me for an infected tooth and it didn't help much. Sure made me relaxed but still had the migraine. crazy

My doctor prescribed that Sumatriptan aka Imitrex and it works. Had a migraine coming on this afternoon, took one of those and about a half hour later it was gone.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker

I have had problems with migraines and have never been given a narcotic for them. The current drug I have for them is taken when you feel one coming on and it stops it right now. Imitrex is what I believe its called.

she has been through all the drugs in that family, some worked for awhile, some not at all.....it was to the point her neurologist was gonna suggest ergot derivatives(think LSD) when Botox was approved for use in migraine treatment.....its gotten rid of about 95%....instead of a migraine 20 out of 30 days a month she is down to one or occasionally two a month....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.