Print Thread
Hop To
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Has anyone hunted with this outfitter in South Africa? An old high school friend has an opening for a August 2015 hunt and I'm contemplating going as part of a extended vacation to Abu Dhabi and the gulf region to visit my daughter and her husband. He would transport my rifle so we can continue vacationing.

If we go, my wife and I would like to spend an additional week traveling in South Africa. Any recommendations or travel companies?

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by abbydog; 04/16/14.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Need more detail.

If you mean http://www.sun-africa.co.za/index.html I have met these people and they are very nice. He is a very passionate hunter, but to my taste, he may be a little too pushy while promoting his business. His wife is very nice. I just chose someone else I related to better, not because I thought their operation was bad.

I don't think you would go wrong choosing them.

Be careful about friends transporting your rifle. That may not be allowed. If you use some agencies like Air 2000 Hunter's Support, they will store your rifle while you tour.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks, I believe they are the same.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've hunted with Pierre Moolman and can recommend him. I'd hunt with him again any time and I didn't find him at all pushy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Abbydog, I met Mr Moolman's son at the Harrisburg Show and he seemed very nice.
As to your rifle transport concerns....I had almost the same issues when I went to RSA. So I left my guns home and rented a rifle from the PH....it was so much easier going through customs without a firearm, and I had no trouble 'sighting in' or hunting with the borrowed 30-06.
I hope you have a great trip.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
I've hunted with Pierre Moolman and can recommend him. I'd hunt with him again any time and I didn't find him at all pushy.

And I said I think they are great. However, I had to make a decision as to who to hunt with when I had 4 outfits I liked.

One eliminated himself when he was all hang dog about his divorce and they were fighting over the operation. I sympathize with him, but I don't want to be in camp with a moody guy and/or have a dispute break out over who gets what in the settlement.

Moolman eliminated himself when he kept saying he had the best packages (kind of like a used car salesman. Sometimes less promotion is more IMO) and then said I had to take a warthog (because it is Africa). I don't care about warthogs this time around. He kept saying if it was a great warthog I should take it. I was noncommittal so he said if he said it was a big one and I wouldn't shoot it, he would grab my rifle and shoot it for himself. NO ONE grabs my rifle and kills something on MY hunt without ME saying it's OK.

Nothing major, like I said I had to sort out who I went with and sometimes it was rather trivial, but you have to sort somehow.

Between the final two, it was who I related with best. I went with the guy that I hit off with the best right off the bat. It was like we were long lost brothers or best friends. We can talk for hours. It really is amazing actually. I lucked out.

Really looking to the actual trip next month.

Sun Africa Safari appears to be a good operation. They just placed #3 on my list.

Last edited by AB2506; 04/18/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.