Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
A guy I shoot with has a coroplast 6'x6' target back with replaceable centers that screws to the target lifters in the pits. He can't remember where he got it other than it was a major target supplier. A google search did not locate a similar item.

Does anyone know a source for such a target?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've seen them, Bayou Rifles in Houston used them for a while IIRC. Also learned that the glue wouldn't stick well in the heat and the targets would slide right off the face of the corroplast when it got warm.

I'd go talk to an office supply warehouse or a sign maker for sure, all the political signs are corroplast. IIRC.

Election coming up I'd say probably a bunch to be had for free after the elections.... but probably only 4x8 at largets.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure those are "home made" backers. Call plastic supply company in your area or try this webpage - http://www.coroplast.com/distributor/

Personally, I don't like coroplast backers because of the way light shines through them. You'll have to use spray tack to hold your targets on. If you use paste, the targets will rip. If it is windy when you are putting on new faces, the adhesive can blow and land on your glasses. That really sucks, because you'll need a solvent to get it off.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to work for a sign company. I'd call up a local sign shop and see if they'll tell you where they source their coroplast from.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I don't know if it is homemade or not. He says he bought it and I believe him. I just don't like the way the target frames are set up because they are 2x4 frames with cloth stapled to them so you have to use glue targets anyhow and it never works well. I don't like shooting them at work and I don't like shooting them when we schedule the range on the weekend.

I wanted a target backer I could prep on the ground and then secure to the target frame on the lifter. Like I said his looks like an 800-1K yds target with replaceable center. I guess I'll see if I can get something through a sign shop and staple a target to it then screw the backer to the frame.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My club uses corrugated cardboard fastened to 2x4 uprights with wood strips & screws. Very cheap, gives good bullet holes, opaque, and holds adhesive well. We paste our targets on it with premixed wallpaper paste purchased in 5 gal buckets.

This place has them http://www.boxforless.com/categories/Corrugated-Cardboard-Sheets/ but we buy 96x96 sheets by the pallet from a local supplier.

The reason to prefer adhesive over staples is that a bullet can send steel fragments flying if it hits a staple. Doesn't happen often, but you don't want to be the next.

Last edited by BarryC; 04/16/14.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve pasted more than 3 targets on in my competitive life. I've rarely rarely seen an issue glueing to fabric or cardboard. If you are there is a different issue.

Gluing to corroplast has almost always had issues and there MIGHT be a reason its not common....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
rost,

I don't know what the issue is but Army Skillcraft glue doesn't always stick a target to the cloth backer on the KD range here in NC. That is why we often just shoot steel on UKD ranges. It is easier and more flexible for us even if it doesn't give us as a precisely qualitative data. Still I like to hit the KD range from time to time because there are things you can hone there better than on the UKD.

As for the club shooting the Army ranges we are restricted to the KD range so I cannot take steel out there per range regulation. I'm just looking for ways to make this more enjoyable since we don't always have 1x1 in the pits.

So, is cardboard affixed to Range Control provided target frames the recommendation?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll talk to some of the old guys at the club about what kind of paste they used with cloth. We haven't used cloth backers in at least 20 years.
After the first target has been put on a cloth backer, you should be just pasting new targets over old. I know wallpaper paste works for that.

What is Skilcraft glue? Is it like wallpaper paste?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've used 3M spray adhesive on chloroplast with no issues. but never tried it when it was wet.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Skillcraft is the company the Army buys from to get anything made with any kind of plastic, from tape and glue to pens and dry erase markers. The only glue we get for ranges is an aerosol by Skillcraft. Like for steel all we get is spray paint. Because I shoot steel often I bankroll the Army's operation and bring latex paint from the hardware store and a roller because it makes my life easier.

Now I'm looking for an easier way to post targets on the KD ranges. Those cloth backers whip in the wind and if the corners get lo0se (because our glue doesn't hold well on those backers) it is not long before you have an obscured or non-existant target.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Let Barry ask the old guys, but we alwyas used cloth on military KD ranges. They had paste ready to go. I've glued paper on brand new cloth with it and had no issues, but we always did the first layer a few days or weeks before use, and then were gluing paper on paper which is really easy with wallpaper paste.

I know some use the 3M for about anything, but for highpower it was too expensive for me. But I've seen impatient folks in the pits that didn't want to wait in line for the roller or brush, bring their own spray cans. If I'm in that much of a hurry, I damn sure don't need to be shooting highpower.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd try wallpaper paste before I invested in a pallet load of coroplast or even corrugated cardboard.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.