Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm usually a, "blast it on thermonuclear, then finish on medium-low" kind of griller. But I just don't have the patience to babysit ribeyes, and they always flare-up on me. I'm gonna reverse sear them the next time, & compare results.

Does anyone else out there do it that way? Or do you all just have the patience to stand at the grill & move the steaks when they flare?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get'em hoterthanhell... on both sides the 1st minute ....than indirect till their done ...no baby sitting for me.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I get'em hoterthanhell... on both sides the 1st minute ....than indirect till their done ...no baby sitting for me.

Aren't they done after 2 minutes at hoterthanhell..

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by eh76
Aren't they done after 2 minutes at hoterthanhell..

Not for me. grin

And I put ice and club soda in my bourbon.

Hey, somebody's gotta be a troglodyte.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done them both ways with equally good results. My favorite way is to fire up my mini BGE and let it go nuclear, 700-800*. Sear them for a minute on each side then move them to my small which I have stabilized at 400* with a raised grid. Chuck a few Jack Daniels chips in there and let them roast until they are 120-125* internal. Pull, let rest and enjoy.

For a reverse sear I roast them at 400* on a raised grid with some JD chips for smoke until 115* or so internal and pull them. Open the vents to full throttle and sear them for a minute or so on each side.

Disclaimer: The above times and temps are for steaks 1 1/2" or thicker. I don't like grilling steaks I can read a paper through! grin

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've done them both ways with equally good results. My favorite way is to fire up my mini BGE and let it go nuclear, 700-800*. Sear them for a minute on each side then move them to my small which I have stabilized at 400* with a raised grid. Chuck a few Jack Daniels chips in there and let them roast until they are 120-125* internal. Pull, let rest and enjoy.
This!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nope ...adding stripes...and a bit of char ...then up to temp ...a bit of set time ...eat!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I do ribeyes over a hot bed of coals in a Weber with the lid on. If there is a flare up, I just shut the top vent for a few seconds to choke the flames. Open the top vent and rock on. The flare up rarely comes back.

Babysitting isn't a term I'd use since they're not on there very long.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman

Yup, my cookin' fork an' my eatin' fork are the same. laugh

Denny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do ribeyes over a hot bed of coals in a Weber with the lid on. If there is a flare up, I just shut the top vent for a few seconds to choke the flames. Open the top vent and rock on. The flare up rarely comes back.

Another thing Mathman and I can agree on, just not thick women. A hotter than hell Weber with a lid to throttle flare ups and cook till done is just as good as a BGE. Pull your meat and kill the fire, save your charcoal for the next cookout.

Sean
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

For a reverse sear I roast them at 400* on a raised grid with some JD chips for smoke until 115* or so internal and pull them. Open the vents to full throttle and sear them for a minute or so on each side.

Disclaimer: The above times and temps are for steaks 1 1/2" or thicker. I don't like grilling steaks I can read a paper through! grin

Mike

This! ^^^

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I smoke it low and slow on my Traeger and then sear it on the charcoal Weber only about 45 seconds on each side.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Pull your meat and kill the fire

First it's a Swede boning his chicken....now this!! grin grin

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Pull your meat and kill the fire

First it's a Swede boning his chicken....now this!! grin grin

Mike

grin

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
I smoke it low and slow on my Traeger and then sear it on the charcoal Weber Lodge cast iron grill only about 45 seconds on each side.

Fixed that for you. smile

Denny.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
This!

X2

I get my BGE as hot as I can get it, sear each side of room temp thick cut rib eyes for a minute apiece then just shut it down. Put the lid on it and close the damper and leave the steaks in there for 4 minutes and then pull em, cover em and let em sit for 10 minutes. Perfect med rare for my thick cut ribeyes

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We do our steaks over mesquite lump coal in a smoker. Put steaks on cool side with cover closed for about 5 minutes, then move over direct heat to sear. About 2 minutes each side for an 1 1/2 in steak. Pull back to cool side of smoker and leave lid open. Pull steaks after 3 minutes and let rest. Good charcoal, smoke flavor at medium rare. If you let rest for 5 minutes they will be medium. Good char and juicy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread inspired me to try out the reverse sear method last night and it worked ... very well.

I made teriyaki steak and when it was almost done it didn't have the black seared crunchy bits, and flavor, I was looking for so I turned up the heat and nuked it to finish it off.

It was gooooood.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I'm not sure what reverse sear is, but I can say that if you use a pile of lump charcoal in a Weber, it get's so hot its too hot for a flare up. I did some pork chops over extreme heat this way and the dripping grease burned up before it hit the coals. It was probably too hot, since the handle of the scraper hanging over the edge melted...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 85 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.