Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Winchesterpoor: Best of luck to you in prying that 243 Varmint away from your friend!
The old Model 70 Varmints have long been favorites of mine.
I currently have 4 pre-64 Varmints in 243 Winchester and one in 220 Swift.
One of my 243's is mounted up with a Unertl 10 power scope - just to nice to shoot this one is.
Another of my 243 Varmints I have shot on occassion in the past - it is very pleasingly accurate (with a Redfield 6x18 variable).
I have taken Antelope and Rock Chucks with it.
I doubt though, that it will ever be shot again - at least by me.
I have not shot this latest 220 Swift Varmint of mine.
A previous 220 Swift Varmint that I did shoot shot pretty well with an 8 power Leupold "Westerner" scope on it - I wish I would NOT have let that one get away.
Again best of luck in "commandeering" that 243 Varmint - it would be a worthy addition to your collection.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Elkhunter, I have a law enforcement pal up in NC or TENN that comes to GA and spends a few days with Mr Robert Gradous building Tact type guns. Long story short he was able to buy ( for dam near nothing) a mint Varminter in .243 with a 15X Unertl scope from a family friend who was old and had cancer, the guy had bought the rig new ,took it to his farm in upstate NY and shot a few groundhogs, he ended up selling the farm and the gun sat in the corner for 50 years collecting cigarette smoke, the gun cleaned up mint! I have been dickering with this guy for about two years and I will end up giving him whatever it takes as the rig is that nice and he is into the tactical deal. When and if I do I will let you have mine.
Mr Gradous, builds one of the finest most accurate guns in the United States, bar none. I shot one he built in .308 and the thing was sooo accurate that it was absolutely boring.Check him out, If I ever catch up on the Winchesters I will have him build a .308 on a .243 action using a cut rifled Bartlien barrel in Winchesters target, med heavy contour.
http://www.gradousrifles.com/
very best WinPoor

THANKS Winchesterpoor! cool

In 2010-2011 at a local gunshow there was a Pre '64 Winchester M 70 .220 Swift for the price of $700. The rifle was used and it showed. IIRC it was a standard Swift as the barrel was not the Varmint/Target style. I tried to wheel & deal with him but as it goes sometimes,we could not close the deal. Still hope to see that one and just BEG the wife to let me buy it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Yep, You got it bad, I started out wanting a nice good shooting target in 06, went thru 3 till I got just what I wanted, found a very nice unmolested sporter stock for it, opened the barrel channel for the med heavy barrel and was a happy cowboy! That lasted all of 4 mos. I forget what was next on hit parade but its ALWAYS just one more! .264 win mag, 300 win mag, national match in a sporter stock..... It never stops, I have yet to get a poor shooter, I just got an early 60's fwt in 06 that I have not shot yet... knock on wood. Old timers tell me some of the best shooters they ever had were fwt's. I cannot wait to test this one. very best wimpoor
Bought this one in Feb/March,it's a Pre '64 Featherweight .30-06 and with the very first handload I tried it shot around an 1" with 180 gr Sierra's and H-4831SC.

From the serial number it's an early '55.

[Linked Image]

A 6x 42mm Leupold and Leupold Bases & rings,weight as it sits is 7 lbs 14 oz.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Where can I get a copy of the paper back? powdr

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Abebooks,Amazon,or Ebay,but be prepared to spend $80+ for it.

Forgot Barnes & Noble too.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 04/17/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Older thread but I finally ordered a copy and it came in the mail today. Paged through it quickly to see and I could see myself getting lost so I closed it quick. I gotta finish another first.
A dandy of a book

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
The other book can wait. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I did think that but I'll never finish it then.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Read the other book. Rules book is a great reference and you'll more than likely have it for the rest of your life. More model 70 guru's need it: It would put an end to a lot of senseless bickering that goes on.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,505
Posts18,452,557
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.