Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
You fellers that use them Bics to start fires with will learn the first time you try to use one at high altitude, especially when it's cool, that they just will not work unless you keep them in a warm pocket and put 'em to use quickly.

I live in Colorado and camp at high elevation all the time. I use disposable butane lighters. I carry the lighters in my cook kit in my pack. The only time that I have trouble with them is when I carry one in my pocket and it gets filled with lint.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Zippo trick.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
know all about the overfull Zippo/jeans pocket thing, learned the hard way as a teen! When I started carrying a pipe lighter again, ordered one of these - was pleased to see it's well made, and made in USA
[Linked Image]
an old retired one, gift from a friend back in the day
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jeffdwhite; 04/16/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad has a little side business and is a zippo rep. He's probably got 200-300 in his personal collection.

Sells a lot or used to at least overseas.

For a run of 50 he can do a custom order.

24hourcampfire custom lighter, someone come up with the design and I can get an estimate.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cal74
My dad has a little side business and is a zippo rep. He's probably got 200-300 in his personal collection.

Sells a lot or used to at least overseas.

For a run of 50 he can do a custom order.

24hourcampfire custom lighter, someone come up with the design and I can get an estimate.

chit that would be neat as hell......im in for one if others are....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Get it together and im in for one!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by pahick

I'm in too

μολὼν λαβέ
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

I'm in too

+1

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm down

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The story I always heard growing up was that the "inventors" of the Zippo lighters used to sell them out of the trunk of their car in the 1930's.

They would go into a bar and place themselves at opposite ends of the bar. Then one would take out a cigarette and ask if anyone had a "light". His partner, at the opposite end of the bar would take out his "Zippo", light it and toss it to he other end of the bar....still burning. His partner would light his smoke and toss it back....still burning. He would close it and the questions would begin. Lighters of the day were NOT windproof so this was an impressive demonstration. They would then sell lighters to all the bar customers. Afew years later the milirary picked up on the Zippo and the rest is history....

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good Zippo or three was necessary if you were a boiler tech in the Navy before they went to Gas turbines for propulsion. The scene in the movie "Battleship" where they light off a boiler with the torch on the Missouri, probably the only real thing in that movie. It was a hoot to do it.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
For a 24 HC design, how about a picture of somebody butt-shooting a dink.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
+1

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
For a 24 HC design, how about a picture of somebody butt-shooting a dink.

As long as we dont wind up with a Bricktop edition im good to go grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
How 'bout the logo that's at the top of the page? The campfire on one side, 24HR on the other.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys design a logo/design and I'll do my part. Prices are pretty reasonably I believe, probably 30-35.00 ish?

I'm not very creative some someone else that is, put the design together and we can get the ball rolling. I'll try to remember to call my old man tomorrow afternoon to get a better idea.

Life is just one damned thing after another
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just watched a video Rep Causer posted on FB on how Zippo lighters are made.(his way of promoting local business in his area) Got me to thinkin. How many of you own one? Are they popular where youre from? Being from PA, theyve always been popular here, but ive never owned one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_20140417_011710_828_zps77c9n5hv.jpg[/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your collection Leighton? I've got two-both my dads. The one he carried across Africa and Europe under Patton, and one he got from a contractor he worked for. My son has one of them which I gave him to remember his grandfather, and the other one's around here somewhere. Haven't run across it in a while.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by justin10mm
The fuel evaporates pretty fast.

Not if you slip a "ranger" rubber band over the opening. (I cut my bands from a bicycle tube.) I've run experiments with my three Zippos several times, and one filling of fuel will last for about ten weeks. For the experiments, I've fired the Zippo up twice daily for about seven to ten seconds, about what it would take to light a handful of tinder for my campfire. As I said, ten weeks and it still burns.

Obviously leaving the "ranger" band on the Zippo would be inconvenient for a smoker who knocks off a pack or two of cigarettes a day .... but I don't smoke. wink

Also a major advantage of a Zippo is I don't have to keep holding down a button for it to stay burning, and it is windproof, too. I also carry a couple 1/8 oz. cleaned Tabasco bottle filled with fuel, in my daypack.

I would not be without my filled-with-fuel Zippo when I am going out in the boonies, etc.

L.W.

LW

Did you ever test how long they lasted w/o the ranger rubber band?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Your collection Leighton?

Yes. Inherited. I have a dozen-odd others floating around here somewhere...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.