Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Based on how good my Alpen Wings 8X20 compact binoculars are I ordered some Alpen Teton 10X50 for what I expect might be low light hunting in Alaska this September. I chose the 10X50 over the 10X42 for two reasons. First I figured if a little is good a lot is better so I went with the larger objective. Second, despite it being on a tri-pod most of the time, its heavier weight will help steady it. I have compared my Swarovski z5 5-25X52 to lots of scopes and the only ones to come close to it are both Nightforces. The 12-42X56 was slightly better than the 5.5-22X56 which was slightly better than my z5. But both of the Nightforces are way too heavy for this old man: Thus the beautiful Swarovski z5. With that said, I will give a little info since that's all there is.

I was at John's where my "Can you read this?" is only 72 yards away inthe shadows of the forest, but it's all I have. The sky at 7PM was totally overcast so it was like the sun had already gone behind the distant hill. After focusing the Teton 10X50 as well as I could I did the same with the z5. Then I looked at the magnifiction setting on the z5: 14X. I waited a few more minutes and checked again. By then the sun was behind the distant hill. I could still read the bottom line with the Teton but had to adjust the z5 to 17X. A couple minutes later the test was over because the 10X50's could no longer show me the bottom line.

Tomorrow I will take them to Sportsman to compare with their stuff.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A couple hours ago I compared the Alpen Teton 10X50 with Vortex Viper and Razor of the same magnification. I was allowed as long as I wanted. To make sure the binos were still I brought a sandbag with me. After taking all the time I wanted I decided the Razor is marginally better than the Teton and the Teton was slightly better than the Viper.

I am delighted with my purchase. The warranty is no fault replacement! Can't get much better than that. I guess Bushnell with their one year satisfaction if you have your receipt is better; at least in one way.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Fantastic, I just ordered four Alpine binoculars for the entire family after your review. C'mon UPS, I'm pumped...can't wait!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by slg888
Fantastic, I just ordered four Alpine binoculars for the entire family after your review. C'mon UPS, I'm pumped...can't wait!!

smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why are you worried about low light binos for a caribou hunt?

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Are you putting up a riflescope against a binocular for a low-light comparison?

I realize that charts and such make for repeatable & quantifiable comparisons but for me the way the glass handle contrast, shadows etc is more important for viewing in very low light...which is not something you can do in a store...

I think it has more to do with your eyes and the particular coatings on the glass.

At least that it how it has worked for me. Comparing glass on charts definitely tells you a lot about quality of the glass but that is not how it worked out (for me) in very low light for IDing critters.

Not that I'd be overly concerned on that point hunting Alaska...

Defend the Constitution
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Other then weight what advantages do these bins offer? 262 FOV is way below what comparable bins offer.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
prairie_goat,

Not worried at all. Since there is no restriction on time to shoot I figure I want to hunt 'til it is too dark to see.

tomk,

Am I putting a rifle scope against a binocular? No. I'm putting the best low light optic I will carry against a new toy I will possibly carry. The chart at John's is in the woods and shadows move across it all the time as the breeze moves branches. It is interesting to see how much shadows influence the magnification setting on a rifle scope.

Oldelkhunter,

Field of view was not even considered when I ordered these. I have a Nikon 7X35 with about 500 feet field of view I purchased specifically for that. They easily beat out the Zen-Ray 7X36 in the resolving detail department.

I know my 8X20s beat out my Vortex 6.5X32 in a low light test so I figured the much more expensive Teton would be even better. I guess they are.

Everyday Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ringman
prairie_goat,

Not worried at all. Since there is no restriction on time to shoot I figure I want to hunt 'til it is too dark to see.

tomk,

Am I putting a rifle scope against a binocular? No. I'm putting the best low light optic I will carry against a new toy I will possibly carry. The chart at John's is in the woods and shadows move across it all the time as the breeze moves branches. It is interesting to see how much shadows influence the magnification setting on a rifle scope.

Oldelkhunter,

Field of view was not even considered when I ordered these. I have a Nikon 7X35 with about 500 feet field of view I purchased specifically for that. They easily beat out the Zen-Ray 7X36 in the resolving detail department.

I know my 8X20s beat out my Vortex 6.5X32 in a low light test so I figured the much more expensive Teton would be even better. I guess they are.

I guess they are what? Comparing apples to apples the 10x50 Teton cannot hold a candle to most 10x50's, Again tell me why you would want a Bino that has almost 100 feet less FOV then comparable bins?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yes, Ringman. Magnification allows you to see further in low light, so you will see more. But you must have enought exit pupil to allow them to work at all.
Many times, my Leica 8X42 binocular has shown me stuff that my 6X42 Leupold would not. But I've also seen it get too dark which stopped my Leica from working. My 6X42 rifle scope would still work. E

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Oldelkhunter,

I guess they are what?

I compared them to the comparably priced Vortex and found they gave me a slightly sharper image.

Comparing apples to apples the 10x50 Teton cannot hold a candle to most 10x50's,

If you don't mind, would you site the side by side comparisons so I can read them?

tell me why you would want a Bino that has almost 100 feet less FOV then comparable bins?

I answered that question in an earlier post. Allow me to ask you one. How much do comparable 10X50s cost that these can't hold a candle to?

Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
prairie_goat,

It's pretty clear you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
prairie_goat,

It's pretty clear you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.

Your statement concerns me. If you would please let me know your concern.

Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Your hunt will take place in open country, on animals that move during the daylight, and will likely require a lot of walking.

Think portable, quality gear.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, prairie_goat.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Oheremicus,

Many times, my Leica 8X42 binocular has shown me stuff that my 6X42 Leupold would not. But I've also seen it get too dark which stopped my Leica from working. My 6X42 rifle scope would still work. E

I don't understand. Are you saying sometimes the bino was better and other times the scope was better?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oheremicus,

I don't understand. Are you saying sometimes the bino was better and other times the scope was better?

I think what he was saying is that when he closes one eye, the scope works better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,081
Posts18,463,897
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.