Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'd be putting some snake traps around the place, especially if that dog usually stays around the house, Mickey.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Probably eastern diamondbacks over there. Species doesn't matter much to me. I hate 'em all. If it rattles, I kill it... with extreme prejudice... and then I kill 'em a couple of more times for good measure. Did I mention I hate rattlers?

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
glad to hear Patches pulled through Mickey, was on the road so missed this

I figure all any of us really need in this world is for someone to dote upon us like Mickey does with his dogs. be a pretty good way to live I reckon.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prayers for your pup. Had one of my Shepherds bit once, but he is over 100 lbs, so pulled through fine.

Hoping the same for you.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No idea, but perhaps a benadryl in that situation might help??? However little.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
glad to hear Patches pulled through Mickey, was on the road so missed this

I figure all any of us really need in this world is for someone to dote upon us like Mickey does with his dogs. be a pretty good way to live I reckon.

That's the truth, those pups sure are loved! Glad to hear she is going to be ok!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm at the age that I don't care much for killin anymore.. but a rattlesnake is not much different from a land mine.. If you step on one it will get you.

I will kill every rattlesnake I encounter.

Hope all is well Mickey.

Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman
Would y'all please say a little prayer for Peaches tonight? This is the third time she's been bitten and all three times were around her face. You'd think she'd learn after a time.

The picture you posted of her made me so sad. Vey, very glad she's doing better. Maybe an enclosure for her ?

Denny.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Mickey,

I'm glad to hear the good news. There's nothing that I hate more than to see an animal suffer.

You and me both, Bob. Thanks to all of you. I'm going in to check on her in about 30 minutes. Here's what she looked like before we went to the vet.

[Linked Image]

Jeez, poor lass. Looks like a boxer that lost big in a 15 rounder... frown Hope she's well on her way to back to normal. She's got a good master to be thankful for anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Mickey,

I'm glad to hear the good news. There's nothing that I hate more than to see an animal suffer.

You and me both, Bob. Thanks to all of you. I'm going in to check on her in about 30 minutes. Here's what she looked like before we went to the vet.

[Linked Image]

Jeez, poor lass. Looks like a boxer that lost big in a 15 rounder... frown Hope she's well on her way to back to normal. She's got a good master to be thankful for anyway.

She's much better today, Leighton. Thanks.

I have a fenced in back yard but snakes crawl through the chain link fence like it was not even there. I killed a rattler on my front patio a couple of years back. It was under my rocker where I was going to sit and read. The front yard is fenced as well.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Was out prairie grouse hunting middle of October more than a few years back and the rattlers were migrating to their winter den sites. Got by the first we saw and the hunt pard shot it after I called my Gordon to me, all ok .Next one he just walked by, swung around and didn't aim just pointed the 12 at it and pissed it off. Yeah my dog went for the retrieve before I could get to her. She got hit low on the left jowl flap and agin on the left leg. At that point she quit on the snake as I had got to her and got her away almost getting it myself. Hunting pard then pulled his head out and took the snakes off with a load of 4's. Immobilizing the dog at that point and sending the "pard" after his pickup was the best plan I could come up with at that time. He got the truck to us and I put her in the dog box. both leg and jowl flap starting swell. Kadoka SD was 25 miles away and the vet was in when we got there to call him. He told me to take her to my regular vet in Rapid City and not waste much time. Called them and told them we would be there in a little over an hr. They gave the dog a painkiller and antibiotics(snakes got a dirty mouth). She said most make it, depends on the dogs age, general health, where they got bit. a hit that swells their nasal passages can suffocate them, they pant but don't breath thru their mouth. They are one of the bigger vet outfits in the area they don't stock a anti-venom because it has a very short effective shelf life and is expensive as hell. My dog was down for a couple of days and recovered good enuf she could have hunted next week end but I gave her 3 weeks to recover, she did. You learn somethings in life easy and some damn hard. She left the snakes alone after that and lived to 15.5 yrs old. Going thru that and the decision to put her down Im sure will cost me a few off the end of mine. Part of having and loving a dog. Good luck Mickey.
Magnum Man

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Twenty years ago we stumbled on them frequently down here in SWFL. I was always worried my Golden would get bit. He never did. He somehow developed a healthy fear of snakes and would cower and move away from one if he saw or smelled one. We don't see many mocs or diamond backs anymore. Been years actually. We think the hogs eat them. Our hunting land hasn't changed any just more hogs. I hope your dog is feeling better.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you. She is getting better. smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
221 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 32 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.