Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Anybody ever played with one of these or ever seen a good review? I like the idea of the LPA trigger. The trigger on my current Browning BPS is horrible.

BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If you think the trigger on your Browning is horrible, you're going to hate the mossberg.

I have given Mossberg an honest try severl times. They have a great concept for a turkey gun but the execution is crap. They're junk pure and simple.

You'll get a couple guys on here to tell you how great theirs is, and they may be, but they got lucky. The guns are crap. Spend the money to get your BPS trigger worked on or save it longer and buy gun you like better.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Straight out of the box Mossbergs are slightly rough but I wouldn't go so far as to call them "crap". If you know which end of an Arkansas stone to use you can get them running smoothly in about half an hour with a bit of judicious polishing. Once this is done they are quite smooth and reliable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mossbergs are the Welfare Mans Shotgun

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by natman
Straight out of the box Mossbergs are slightly rough but I wouldn't go so far as to call them "crap". If you know which end of an Arkansas stone to use you can get them running smoothly in about half an hour with a bit of judicious polishing. Once this is done they are quite smooth and reliable.

Smooth maybe, but I'd not call any I've owned reliable or I'd still have em.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone

Smooth maybe, but I'd not call any I've owned reliable or I'd still have em.

I have four at the moment. I've used one for my turkey gun for the last 27 years. The only problem I've had with any of them is one time the wooden dowel used as a magazine plug got tangled in the magazine spring which turned it into a single shot. A slight bevel on the ends of the dowel cured that.

YMMV.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have two , 500 & 835 with scopes set up just for turkeys , with the scopes and padded check pieces they fill more "rifle " like and the triggers are worked down to 4# but in doing this one must also re work and set the safety so it properly works. Not sure if this can be done on the newest models , mine are about 12-14 years old

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just an idea for anybody wanting to fool around with a dedicated turkey gun for not many $$$. Deadliest scattergun I've ever used for gobblers is a $75 mossberg bolt action pawnshop find. It came from the factory with a front and rear sight, poly choke, and sling swivels. Went and cut some leaves to trace stencils out and gave it a OD green base coat with leaf pattern over sprayed in two more flat colors. And replaced the front bead on the ramp with a fiber optic.

It isn't pretty and it kicks like a mule, but it was cheap and the darn things are pretty useless for wing shooting, so this was a pretty good use for it. The C-lect choke, as Mossberg called it, is nice for pattering as it's instantly adjustable for testing loads and can be screwed down to extra full if the pattern will hold. Mine has Uncle Mikes style QD swivel studs so I just rob a sling off one of my rifles when spring rolls around. It only weighs about 6 1/2 pounds and I don't care if I scratch it up so it's perfect for runnin an gunnin.

Cheap winter project idea anyways.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
185 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 15 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.