-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Years ago, when this first started, $200 could get you through. Lately, it's been "take some AA courses, apply for a pardon". I've had clients spend 4 years addressing this before getting clearance, and then allowed for "one time only" until Ottawa sends them official papers to present, which took forever. Cost is usually about $5000, so only worth it if Canada appears regularly in your future.

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if the cost to a US citizen is a high as here in Canada? Could be another case of the inflated costs we are exposed to here.

If the costs are as high in the US I can easily see why someone would strike Canada off as a destination of choice.

I still wonder what the reaction of other countries is with regard to these types of records.

Jim

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I know the way it used to be, but I've been out of the loop for over a decade now. Some things rarely change, but some things are in a constant state of flux. The rules are different for a Canuck going south than they are for a Yankee coming north -- it's a geography thing. wink

If I recall, the USA requires more than just a pardon of a Canadian's record. Have a couple of acquaintances who had to go the extra step, but I don't remember what it was.

For our southern neighbours coming north, I have no idea, but I know if you lie to the immigration people, and they find out through NCIC checks, you're going home for sure.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Keith, In my last post I was actually wondering more about someone from here or the US travelling to Europe or other eastern countries. The Islamic countries in particular since they don't allow the use of alcohol in their countries.

Jim

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I can't comment on that, Jim. Never had anything to do with it. But with all the oil field workers that go over there to work, you'd wonder if there weren't some that had been tapped for impaired driving along the way,

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It could be the old, "Follow the money"

If it is worth it, cash can lubricate many things.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have traveled to Ontario fishing every year for the past 5 years. I have never once been asked if I had a DUI conviction (which I don't). All I'm ever asked is where I am going, how long I plan to stay, and whether I have tobacco or alcohol in the car.

So perhaps a lot of it has to do with the hunting part of it. The mixing of firearms with alcohol.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The custom people know a lot about you before they see your license, or passport. The camera takes a picture of your plate before you are at the booth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I have traveled to Ontario fishing every year for the past 5 years. I have never once been asked if I had a DUI conviction (which I don't). All I'm ever asked is where I am going, how long I plan to stay, and whether I have tobacco or alcohol in the car.

So perhaps a lot of it has to do with the hunting part of it. The mixing of firearms with alcohol.

They scan your ID into a computer and pull up whatever is in government records on both sides of the border. No record of DUI so that's why they have not asked you. (The alcohol question is driven by tax/duty rather than safety! grin)

They sometimes ask a question to see if you give the same answer that is on their screen.

At the same time, having a firearm sets some of them on edge. As many have said, a huge portion of the ease or difficulty of crossing depends on the individual border guard you happen to encounter.

Border crossing is kind of like Russian roulette with a lot more empty cylinders.

Last edited by Okanagan; 04/15/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
well, I have found every Ontario border guard I have ever dealt with to be very friendly and helpful.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My wie & I went into Canada last Nov. for a deer hunt. Entered at the SE corner of Saskasawan, don't remember the small town but it was NW of Minot. We were headed to Alberta for the hunt. We were at the customs bldg. maybe 10 minutes and on our way. We came back thru headed home and was there about 20 min., had to fill out a form for the meat we were taking back home. Not a problem going or coming. I don't remember being asked anything about alcohol.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If customs fails to ask about, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and ammunition , they are being derelict in their duty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live in MI and get into Canada once or twice a year. I have flown to SK a couple of times as well.

Here is what I have noticed. When entering through an airport, the customs people appear to have already profiled you based on the info provided by the airlines. If you have a DUI, they know.

When entering by vehicle the customs people often ask the cursory questions and let the vehicle enter without taking the passports into the office. I assume a camera ran the tags on the vehicle first, but would not know the background for all of the passengers. If you are a passenger and the vehicle is not registered to you, you may very likely slide through.

When I am entering, I am almost always hunting with firearms, so I get to spend quality time with the agents. They definitely run my info.

Yes, the luck of the draw seems to have a lot to do with it.

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect that many people each year enter Canada without being asked about alcohol, firearms, etc. However, my stepson is driving with a restricted license. Legally, he can only drive a vehicle equipped with an ignition interlock. This fact is noted on his driver's license so he would be readily identified as someone with one or more DUIs on his record.

His current plan is to fly commercial and ship his truck to Alaska. The company is paying for all of this. He still hopes to drive the AlCan Highway someday.

Thanks again for all of your responses.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I crossed the border in the Yukon territory from Alaska they took all our passports. Told me to park I also declared two firearms as well. Anyhow I was in their they go can you go get such and such he went in they took him in the back room and the talking started long story short they let him into Canada but they told him they could of denied him entry because he had a reckless driving conviction on his record. Their have been several GI's make it to the beaver creek customs in the Yukon Territory to be turned around because they gotten a DUI or something else the would prevent them entry into Canada but the funny thing The Beaver Creek station is about 10-15 miles inside Canada. Crossing back into the good ol USA our guys looked at the passports asked some questions said welcome to the US and sent us on our way.

Last edited by 79S; 04/16/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don't forget . . . . . . Canada is a foreign country to you guys. Our country -- our rules. (whether we like them or not.) When we head south -- your country -- your rules. I almost got turned back in Sault Ste Marie Michigan once for having some peaches. blush The USA is a foreign country to us Canucks as well.

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If we could get the bureaucrats to use some common sense, it might be a better world for sportsman.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If we could get the bureaucrats to use some common sense, it might be a better world for sportsman.

I could agree if the conviction(s) were at least several years old. (Don't know how many "several" would be.)

On the other hand if the conviction(s) are recent how does the border agent know they have cleaned up their act? We have enough fatalities and injuries caused by our own impaired drivers without importing others from out of country.

Jim

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Spot on as usual Jim.
That is where the logic comes in.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think it is a matter of a Criminal Record more than an impaired driver.

Brother Keith

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.