Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have any experience with this?....I'd love to hear about it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't been there, but my son is talking about going there this summer. We've done some research so far and found that there is paved road all the way to Yellowknife if you're inclined to drive. Just don't drive at night, we're reading there are a lot of bison on the road at night. Outside of that information, we've looked at a few youtube videos of the area as well as numerous photos along the route on google earth. Near the towns it is not wilderness, but I imagine a boat ride on the lake to a resort or lodge would get you away from that.

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by walt501
there is paved road all the way to Yellowknife we're reading there are a lot of bison on the road at night.

Since I'm fond of fishing from my own boat, this is great info....thanks.

I'm hoping more folks will chime in here.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A friend of mine has a son in Yellowknife.
He fishes lakes a hours drive away.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you have an idea what you'd like to do once you get there? You mention taking your own boat, so is there a fish species you're targeting, like a big laker perhaps? That far north, expect long stretches of road to be under construction / repair. You'll most likely get a cracked windshield from trucks going the other way on sections of road under repair. Based on my drive from Minneapolis to Fairbanks, AK years ago, you'll need to get a bug screen to cover the grill opening on your vehicle. The number and size of the bugs we swept off the front of the truck each morning going across Canada was impressive and would have chocked off the radiator and air conditioning condenser in short order. What time of year are you looking at going? The trout will be "up" in the shallows after ice out, after that they'll be heading to deep water for the summer where you'll need down riggers to reach them. Fall will see the trout come up again to feed and spawn before ice up. If you need suggestions, I know a few things about catching lake trout. Here's a picture of 3 caught last fall in NW Ontario.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've been told they use inflatable Zodiac boats on the big lakes. Big boats.
Fishing Artic char in the rives from shore as well.

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
do you have an idea what you'd like to do once you get there? You mention taking your own boat, so is there a fish species you're targeting,

Ideally, I'd like to fish lakers, northerns, walleye, and char and grayling if there is any. Whitefish don't interest me at all....they are smoking fish and I can pass on that.

Just being someplace new and trying to catch large fish is what it's all about.....

Someone to act as an advisor would be quite helpful.....and I'd gladly pay for the assist.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A couple things that are obvious, a passport is required to return to the US from Canada, and no live bait is allowed in the NWT's.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,522
Posts18,452,750
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.