Print Thread
Hop To
D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Picked up 35 pounds of meat at Sam's club.

A 12 pound beef brisket

12 pounds of pork Boston Butt

And 11 pounds of fresh chicken.

I will smoke this mess of grub with a mixture of Hickory and apple wood.

The chicken will be finished first, then the pork and then brisket. The brisket may spend up to 12 hours in the smoker.

I love smoking days.

[Linked Image]

The Brisket rub is made and rubbed on the meat 12 hours prior to smoking.
� cup paprika

� cup brown sugar

3 tblsp chili powder

3 tblsp onion powder

3 tblsp garlic powder

3 tblsp seasoned salt

1 tblsp cayenne pepper powder

3 tblsp black pepper

2 tblsp oregano

Use rubber gloves and rub the spices into the meat and let it sit in the fridge over night.

[Linked Image]

I got the fire lit in the homemade smoker at 6:30 am. Then it was time to rub mustard on my Butt (s) and a secret blend of herbs and spices.

[Linked Image]

Then I split the chickens and gave them a rub down of not so secret spices.

[Linked Image]

Then it was into the preheated smoker with the lot of it. The two pans in the bottom are filled with water and beer.

[Linked Image]

I�ll use hickory chunks to start out with and switch to apple later in the day.

[Linked Image]

The smoke is great smelling in the morning.

[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x285/newscouts/smokedmeats7_zps0711514a.jpg[/img]

Now its time to wait. Occasionally spraying the pork and beef with the mop sauce. I have a temp probe in the thickest part of the brisket and another probe checking internal air temps in the smoker.

[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x285/newscouts/smokedmeats8_zps8655ef84.jpg[/img]

GB2

D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The chickens are the first ones done. They look nicely smoked. Time to prepare the rest of the supper menu.

[Linked Image]

Then The pork is complete. The combination of the smoke, and the mop sauce on the spice rub gives a dark look. Beneath that bark is juicy smoked pork goodness.

[Linked Image]

The pork is pulled/chopped.

[Linked Image]

Dinner is served while the brisket continues

[Linked Image]

12 hours after it began the brisket has reached 188 degrees F. This was a really thick and fatty brisket (all the better) and the amount of juice it let loose when I cut into it was amazing. The groove around the cutting board didn�t hold it all. We captured this flavor in a quart jar to be used when the meat is reheated.

I cut it into meal sized chunks that (once cooled) can be vacuum sealed and frozen. The brisket can be reheated right in the sealer bags and sliced once warmed. I will divide the juice and freeze it as well to serve with the meat. This might be my best one yet. Its been a long day and I smell like a piece of smoked meat. I need a shower.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x285/newscouts/smokedmeats97_zps428ded97.jpg[/img]

D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I made a pork puller that I mount in my drill to speed up the shredding process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqHytg7Rk2U

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
239 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 38 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.