Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Fellow Gun Enthusiasts: I have been chasing guns this spring and have recently been in four states doing so.
I have heard some RUMORS regarding the discontinuation of Ruger #1's completely!
In my recent quests I have been mostly looking for bolt action Varmint Rifles.
But at two seperate gunshops I have heard that the Sturm Ruger Corporation is planning on discontinuing the Ruger #1's altogether.
Many months ago I heard that Ruger was discontinuing the #1-B and a smarty pants or two derided me for inquiring about same on this forum.
I am NOW really worried that these great guns may be vanishing from our scene?
I also, just last week, came across a gunshop that was opening up a brand new (just ordered from a wholesaler and just received!) Ruger #1-V in 220 Swift!
This Rifle is a 26" heavy barrel blued model with walnut stock.
I was interested until I heard the price - $1,200.00.
The proprietor of the gunshop explained that this recently manufactured Rifle was just made from left over parts and had a pistol grip cap that was of the old style (Ruger gold emblem eagle style).
If anyone could shed any light or opinions on my worries about Ruger #1's or this new in the box Ruger #1-V in 220 Swift please do so.
Thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember the last time this topic came up, and of course, just like an a-hole, everyone has an opinion, so many came on to give their versions of what they think.

I myself stood in the Wanenmacher Tulsa Arms Gun Show first part of April, and had this discussion, among others, with Lee Newton, (El numero uno) here on the fire.

I said I have noticed the shear number of Ruger No.1's that are getting shipped from Ruger like .25-06 AH's, lots of .375 H&H's, many rifles with Circassian stocks, Boddington wood, all sorts of oddities. To me, in my opinion, it seems like they are using up parts to make as many complete rifles to ship as possible. That tells me the end is near.

Lee, if I remember correctly, a guy who has followed these rifles since their inception, has spent time with the Ruger family, said that you just never know what Ruger will do, and he did not take these strange offerings from the factory as any sign of impending doom.

Lee is defintely more of an expect than I, but my money says the Ruger No.1 is a short timer.

Just my opinion.

Mitch

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Perhaps Ruger sees a combination of a poorer economy and market saturation on the horizon.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I expect it's sales driven, and in the black rifle age, most shooters want black rifles. In business, you only survive when you make what people want, and sell it for more than your cost.

Ruger's too sophisticated to not know what it costs to make a run of a given model. If you called them up today and wanted a 1B in .257 Weatherby, with circassian wood, I expect they'd say, "no problem, minimum order XXX at $$$$". It's then up to a distributor to place the order, and try to sell them.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 04/17/14.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I heard the same rumor last fall -- A Ruger official telling a distributor that the Number One was toast -- but did not post about it til I checked out the 'news' with a few guys I trust, including Lee. I got no confirmation then and the story has not progressed much as of now.

In fact though, there is little real difference between the current situation and complete cancellation. The dribble of new #1s coming onto the market, MSRPs now approaching $1500 with zero innovations or fixes of long known issues, and the limited style and caliber options on offer already carry a persistent odor of "deadman walking".

1B

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I would believe that the Ruger No.1 will be in the lineup next year(2015) in the same limited caliber format. I would expect some interesting Exclusives from Lipsey's this year.
Two things do cause me concern; 1) the increasing MSRP, and 2) the pitifully plain wood I have seen on ALL the last two-three months production.
Some people just like to start rumors based on pure speculation; not fact.
ENU

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I saw a hint of walnut figure on a 1A .222...a year ago at the NRA show grin

I don't really need a 6.5-284, but a 1A in .222 might be interesting. But I only buy 'em with good wood. And I'd pay more for better wood smirk

Wonder what Ruger's distributor minimum would be? And I also wonder would they be willing to do a 24hr Campfire limited edition group buy? Of course getting 100-250 guys to agree on caliber & configuration might be a headache. smile

AR15.com did that a few years ago, and I'm curious if it could work with Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I like the idea of a 24HCF #1. But like Tex, I think that getting agreement on a cartridge could be problematic.

Steve

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have observed this discussion before and I do not believe you can get 100 people to agree on any one specific Ruger No.1- and put up the $$ to get it done!
I am curious about how many might be interested in a 26 Nosler in a BH-that is, a 26" medium weight barrel, Alex Henry forearm, barrel band and no sights.
ENU

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Wonder what Ruger's distributor minimum would be? And I also wonder would they be willing to do a 24hr Campfire limited edition group buy? Of course getting 100-250 guys to agree on caliber & configuration might be a headache. smile

Tex,

You couldn't get 10 guys on here to agree on a specific chambering, let alone 100... Or a specific configuration, either. frown

Speaking strictly for myself, I'd likely buy any chambering or configuration that I don't already have. Especially if it were a 24hcf exclusive, But I'm not holding my breath.

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
I have observed this discussion before and I do not believe you can get 100 people to agree on any one specific Ruger No.1- and put up the $$ to get it done!
I am curious about how many might be interested in a 26 Nosler in a BH-that is, a 26" medium weight barrel, Alex Henry forearm, barrel band and no sights.
ENU

You got me curious about the 26 Nosler - which I had heard of, but not studied:

Originally Posted by Nosler
The 26 Nosler� cartridge was designed to take advantage of the inherently accurate and high B.C. 6.5mm (.264) caliber bullets, and is capable of shooting the Nosler� 129 grain, AccuBond� Long Range� bullet at a blazing 3400 fps out of the muzzle. Zeroed at 350 yards, the 26 Nosler� has a Point Blank Range of 0-415 yards. Loaded with the 129gr ABLR, the 26 Nosler� retains as much velocity at 400 yards as the 260 Remington� produces at the muzzle.

The 26 Nosler� case is non-belted, thus headspaced off of the shoulder to further enhance accuracy. The �26� also utilizes a standard (30-06) length action meaning shorter bolt-throw and lighter weight than magnum length actions.

I was thinking more of the .257 or .270 Roy, but that one is an interesting point...and you might get Nosler's interest to promote it, which might get Ruger's interest... smile

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Fellow Gun Enthusiasts: Thank you all for your input and opinions.
My first Ruger #1 had serial number 1,300 on it and I have been an afficiando ever since that early purchase.
I certainly hope the #1 stays in Rugers line-up but hearing about its demise from two different proprietors in two different states in a month got me worried.
It would be a sad day if it should ever come to pass that the Ruger #1 stops being manufactured.
Maybe I had better go back and make a move on that Ruger #1-V in 220 Swift - it had "fair" wood, maybe pleasing would be a better description. Certainly not of the quality that the early #1's had. In fact the owner of the gunshop where this Rifle is was told by the wholesaler that indeed it had been made up from left over parts!?!?
Thanks again all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Local Gun Shop here in Alberta, received last week # 1V in 6.5x284 , #1H in .375 H&H, and a #1S in 45.70 , all with the plainest wood I've seen in years .
Check out ProphetRiver.com for pics.

Flyer

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Flyer01: Thank you for that additional.
The Ruger #1-V in 220 Swift that I saw and am interested in had wood that was above plain in description, to me anyways.
That #1-V in 6.5x284 would probably be a good LONG term investement? If not just a cool Rifle to have and shoot.
I am headed to your link to check them out.
Thanks
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would settle for a nice 1A in .223 twisted tight. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I think I saw a hint of walnut figure on a 1A .222...a year ago at the NRA show grin

I don't really need a 6.5-284, but a 1A in .222 might be interesting. But I only buy 'em with good wood. And I'd pay more for better wood smirk

AR15.com did that a few years ago, and I'm curious if it could work with Ruger

Local shop got a 222 (now discontinued) in a while back. Stock was very, very plain. Not worth the $1500 (out the door) he was asking. But then again, a #1 in 222 will probably not decrease in value as time goes on. 10-12 years ago the same shop had a new stainless laminate in 257 Roberts that I passed on, it was a shade under $600. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jt402
I would settle for a nice 1A in .223 twisted tight. Jack

That's what I'd like. Or a similar 1S.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Craigster: I am no Ruger #1 expert - I just like them.
But if I recall correctly from years past the Ruger #1's in caliber 222 Remington were amongst the rarest of calibers in the model?
MANY years ago I had a chance to buy one of these but balked at the price (a pittance by todays standards!) back then.
Wish now (of course) that I had made a deal on it somehow.
Maybe even at $1,500.00 that would be a relatively sound investment for that 222?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There are at least 5 of them on GB right now for as little as $1100.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Ruger 1A in 222 Remington was one of Ruger's releases for 2013.

The one I have has fairly plain blonde coloured wood, it is however checkered with the same pattern as they used on the Boddington series. Suggests that at least some were made up using leftover stocks.

Flyer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 662 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,867
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.