Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ted Cruz endorses T.W. Shannon in Oklahoma

Shannon was formerly Oklahoma speaker of the House.

Ted Cruz waded into a contested open-seat primary in Oklahoma on Wednesday, endorsing former Oklahoma House Speaker T.W. Shannon over Rep. James Lankford.

Though Cruz has shied away from endorsing Republican Senate incumbents locked in contested primaries, the Texas Republican had no qualms backing Shannon, who is increasingly drawing support from the Republican Party�s right flank in his bid to take the seat of retiring Sen. Tom Coburn. The Cruz endorsement accentuates a growing divide between Senate Conservatives Fund-endorsed Shannon and Lankford, a member of the House Republican leadership.

�T.W. embodies the American dream. I�m proud to offer T.W. my enthusiastic endorsement because not only will he vote the right way, but he�ll stand up and fight with us in the Senate to stop President Obama�s assault on our liberties and defend America�s founding principles,� Cruz said in a statement.

Shannon�s campaign announced that Cruz, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will appear at a rally with Shannon next week, on April 24. A Cruz aide confirmed the senator�s attendance at the rally.

The Shannon endorsement contrasts sharply with Cruz�s refusal to endorse his fellow GOP senators, including Texas colleague Sen. John Cornyn, who Cruz pointedly refused to bless until Cornyn won his primary. Cruz even appeared on stage after Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) at a Palmetto State event Tuesday � but Cruz wouldn�t endorse Graham�s bid for reelection.

�I have said for a long time, I�m likely going to stay out of incumbent Republican primaries � either supporting incumbents or supporting challengers. I�m leaving that to the grassroots,� Cruz said Tuesday. �Every candidate owes it to the grassroots to make the case why he or she is standing for the principles that we elected them to stand for. I trust the grassroots to make those determinations.�

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shannon is a favorite because he is black. Brogdon is actually more conservative, but he frightens the horses.

In light of the BLM attack in Nevada, I wonder what these former candidates for governor would say now about the idea of a state militia to guard against the over reaching federal government? Randy Brogdon was the most outspoken conservative on the ticket but lost in the primary to eventual winner Mary Fallin. Brogdon is running for Senate now. He appears to be waffling in the CNN interview.

2010 CNN Video Interview

[Linked Image]
Randy Brogdon Gubernatorial candidate

Oklahoma Sen. Randy Brogdon backs militia idea, but changes focus

By SEAN MURPHY and TIM TALLEY � Modified: April 14, 2010 at 7:10 am � Published: April 14, 2010

A Republican candidate for Oklahoma governor who endorsed the concept of creating a state citizen militia defended the plan Tuesday but retreated from his earlier position that the force would be used to oppose the federal government.

As political leaders from both parties condemned the idea, which also has support from some tea party leaders, state Sen. Randy Brogdon said a militia could be used as an auxiliary state force during times of emergency because the Oklahoma National Guard falls under federal control.

"If we had another ice storm or bombing, it would be very calming and reassuring to know that the chief executive officer, the governor of the state, has a state guard that he could pull from that could help out in these perilous times,� Brogdon, R-Owasso, said Tuesday.

Brogdon was among conservative members of the state Legislature and tea party leaders who previously said creating a new volunteer militia could help defend against what they believe are improper federal infringements on state sovereignty.

3 candidates pan idea

U.S. Rep. Mary Fallin, one of Brogdon�s opponents in the GOP gubernatorial primary, said those interested in becoming a "citizen-soldier� should join the National Guard.

"There are many fine men and women who have chosen as private citizens to serve our state through the National Guard and are willing to sacrifice time away from work and family to protect our freedoms and help our state in a time of need,� Fallin said.

Attorney General Drew Edmondson, a Democratic candidate for governor, said he is a strong supporter of the constitutional right of citizens to bear arms, "but the idea that the Legislature would craft a statute that would allow citizens to take action against the federal government by force of arms is a bit scary to me.�

Oklahoma Republican Party Chairman Gary Jones said he fears some tea party activists are trying to channel the frustration and energy of the movement to further personal agendas.

"The majority of Oklahomans are conservative and don�t like what�s going on in Washington, but I think you run the risk of alienating people if you go to these extremes,� he said.

"If you truly want to make a difference and want to save this country, you do it at the ballot box.�

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shannon is getting my vote, and it has nothing to do with him being Black.

Brogdon is a has been who never was.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

337 members (1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 1,511 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,643
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.