Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#8785678 04/17/14
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Quick rant: after almost two and a half years and three promises to get started on and complete all work on my bike, I have yet to reach satisfaction. The first guy told me it'd be about two weeks to get parts and take care of the project. 18 months later, he declares that he's too busy, but had passed my bike off to a 2 stroke guru guy who will bang out what's left of the work inside of the month, TOPS.

6 months later, I get a call telling me that I needed to come get the thing, as he'd been diagnosed with cancer. OK, well that sucks and I wish him all the best, but what happened to the rock solid guarantee to get the work done 5 months before the bad news/diagnosis? Never mind.

Bike goes to yet ANOTHER guy. Same old booshat. After 6 months and zero contact, I left a message saying that I would be up two weeks from that day, and if he got the work done, great. If not, I'd pay him for whatever he did do. Calls me back and says he'll be all done by the date. Yesterday, I am told something like, "well, we're almost finished, but with your time restrictions..." I stopped him mid-sentence and hissed, "you've had my bike for 6 months; if you couldn't finish the few hours of work it needed, you should've just told me so. Now get me an invoice listing what you managed to get through in between whatever else it is you do when not working on projects that you promised would be taken care of 'right away'..."

Does *anyone* GAF about one's word given in any meaningful way anymore? To me, a promise is just that, and it is damned important to me, no, *imperative* to be a man of my word.

Bike is at shop #4. Just a few electrical tweeks/mods, and I should be good, but who the hell knows. This country has collectively declined so much in my lifetime, virtually across the board. It upsets me. Rant over. And thanks but no, I'd not care for any cheese to accompany my whine.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Quick rant: after almost two and a half years and three promises to get started on and complete all work on my bike, I have yet to reach satisfaction. The first guy told me it'd be about two weeks to get parts and take care of the project. 18 months later, he declares that he's too busy, but had passed my bike off to a 2 stroke guru guy who will bang out what's left of the work inside of the month, TOPS.

6 months later, I get a call telling me that I needed to come get the thing, as he'd been diagnosed with cancer. OK, well that sucks and I wish him all the best, but what happened to the rock solid guarantee to get the work done 5 months before the bad news/diagnosis? Never mind.

Bike goes to yet ANOTHER guy. Same old booshat. After 6 months and zero contact, I left a message saying that I would be up two weeks from that day, and if he got the work done, great. If not, I'd pay him for whatever he did do. Calls me back and says he'll be all done by the date. Yesterday, I am told something like, "well, we're almost finished, but with your time restrictions..." I stopped him mid-sentence and hissed, "you've had my bike for 6 months; if you couldn't finish the few hours of work it needed, you should've just told me so. Now get me an invoice listing what you managed to get through in between whatever else it is you do when not working on projects that you promised would be taken care of 'right away'..."

Does *anyone* GAF about one's word given in any meaningful way anymore? To me, a promise is just that, and it is damned important to me, no, *imperative* to be a man of my word.

Bike is at shop #4. Just a few electrical tweeks/mods, and I should be good, but who the hell knows. This country has collectively declined so much in my lifetime, virtually across the board. It upsets me. Rant over. And thanks but no, I'd not care for any cheese to accompany my whine.

These guys have missed their calling: they should have been gunsmiths!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E

Or taxidermists.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IIRC, parts are really a problem for older Japanese bikes, especially electrical parts,one reason I gave up on restoring them.
The big three would upgrade their bikes every year, ,with some parts only fitting one model year.
One "reputable" dealer wanted $100 for the 3 sets of breaker points for a 1977 Yamaha 750 triple I had. auto parts store had suitable replacements for $3 each.

I had a 1980 cx 500 Honda, for which used cdi boxes started at $500,if you could find one.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
For my machine, parts are not the problem, at all. Not even close. The old 2 strokes have a dedicated following, and there are parts galore. A half dozen sites have everything from soup to nuts for this project. Again, it's a matter of following through. Clearly, the 'art' of actually doing what you say for some folks is a lost concept.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think these guys are all EPA stooges, collectively working together to prevent 2 stroke hydrocarbons from fouling the atmosphere laugh

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
going through the same bullchit with my boat.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For my machine, parts are not the problem, at all. Not even close. The old 2 strokes have a dedicated following, and there are parts galore. A half dozen sites have everything from soup to nuts for this project. Again, it's a matter of following through. Clearly, the 'art' of actually doing what you say for some folks is a lost concept.

What are you restoring? I have a 72 Honda CL350 that is in the process of being put back into working order. Same issues here. Getting people to honor promised deadlines.

Stush
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Does *anyone* GAF about one's word given in any meaningful way anymore? To me, a promise is just that, and it is damned important to me, no, *imperative* to be a man of my word."

Durn few of us do anymore Kemo Sabe.

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

HEY!!! Don't lump us ALL into that file cabinet.. I can't speak for others but I DO NOT fall into that category sir..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can appreciate the rant because it's gotten to the point that anytime I pay a "professional" to do something and it turns out right I'm jumping for joy.

More often than not getting screwed is par for the course.

Fortunately I'm a pretty good mechanic so the only time I use a shop is when it takes special tools or equipment that I don't have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, I do not think they do

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck

HEY!!! Don't lump us ALL into that file cabinet.. I can't speak for others but I DO NOT fall into that category sir..

Look how late you were responding to this thread! Just say'n! wink grin

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
This is why I do everything I can myself. I learned a long time ago I not only do a better job, but am not rushed like a dealer or tradesman. If I don't know how to do something, I find out. I have never left a drain plug or an oil filter loose like a few dealers I know. In 2-1/2 years you could have learned how and fixed your own bike 3 times over. Its a 2 stroke for gods sake, not a nuclear submarine. Gunsmithing same thing. I have done my own gunsmithing for years. Now I'm not rifling barrels but most things you can do yourself if you want to. Between the internet and the library there is little an individual cannot do. I have lifted my own Jeep, swapped axles by myself, rebuilt engines and tiled my own floors. Now if it was an old Triumph I would understand waiting a few months for parts. But a Japanese 2 stroke? Get a manual and get busy. Now as far as taxidermy goes. I have seen some awful looking crosseyed deer. I think that is one I will forego. And since I cant or don't want to do that I guess I have no use for a taxidermist.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
38 mns is LATE???

What are you on, straight whiskey? laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck

Look how late you were responding to this thread! Just say'n! wink grin

Snork laugh OK, that was funny.

Seriously, I support Rednecks' statement on his timeliness. He did some work for me a couple years ago and the turn around was very short, as in a 3-4 days.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Or taxidermists! grin

KG, good luck on getting your bike back soon, & done RIGHT.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 04/17/14.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We do seem to expect the worst any more. Best case scenario has taken the place of job well done in a timely fashion.
Sad commentary on where we are these days.

FJB & FJT
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Kamo, sounds like The Lord is trying to save you from yourself. smile

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.