Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Here are all the targets I shot yesterday with my new Kimber Montana 7mm-08. All with various factory ammo since I'm still assembling my reloading equipment. I included all targets, not just the good ones.

Here's the rifle for anyone who didn't see my previous post. I mounted a Kahles AH 2-7X36 with Warne Maxima bases and Burris signature Zee medium rings.
[Linked Image]

After removing the bolt,sighting down the barrel at 25 yards, and aligning the scope (my method of boresighting) I moved the target to 50 yards and proceeded to the sight in.

[Linked Image]
The three with tape over them were just to center the scope. I made adjustment after each of those three shots. Then I shot this 4 shot group at 50 yards.

Now I moved to 100 yards. Same ammo as shot at 50 Remington green and yellow box 120 grn hp. This is actually my second target at 100 yards as I seem to be missing the scope adjustment target at 100 with the Rem 120 hp. Anyway here are two 3 shot groups after a cool down in between.
[Linked Image]
Not so great,a little disappointing.

Now I figure it may not like the Rem ammo , so I switch to Federal Fusions and do some tweeking. I retighten my mounts. I got a half turn on a couple screws. Then I loosened my action screws and tightened the front first and kept it tighter than the rear. The fusions are a bit hotter and print high but I got a nice group except for one I knew was off at the shot.

[Linked Image]

BP-B6

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Now I decided to tighten the rear action screw a bit and see if maybe just the ring tightening did the trick. Two more groups with the Fusion 120's, after a cool down between.
[Linked Image]
Not too pleased with this, but I know my accuracy is suffering possibly as much from bench technique as from the rifle. I can see minute movement in the center at each shot.

Now I just switch to 140 grn Fusion and fire three with no adjustment. You see those three on the left. I'm going to have to leave soon since I've spent a bunch of time already between cooling off the gun and waiting on some locals. I just go ahead and shoot three with the Hornady American classic 139 grn Interlock (group on the right)
[Linked Image]
Not too bad, both groups are low, but hovering right around 1.5"

Now, it's getting late, I have to get started to get ready for church, so I decide to try an adjustment again of the action screws. It seemed to shoot better with the front tighter so I try that again. I made a scope adjustment after measuring the Hornady group and shot this 3 shot 100 yard group that will cover with a dime. I chose the 139 Hornady over the 140 Fusion because I noticed the Hornady felt tighter in the chamber and I have experienced better accuracy from my Sako with factory ammo that felt this way. This is my last group of the day.I decided to leave on a positive note and was very happy.
[Linked Image]

I know I need more range time to confirm things and I need to get started loading but all in all , I think I won at Kimber roulette.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/17/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has the rifle been rebedded? Trigger tuned? is the magazine box bottoming out in the stock?

Also, are you shooting off a firm front rest and letting the gun jump, or are you gripping the forearm?

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Rifle has not been rebedded. Just the action screw adjustments I mentioned. The mag box did not bind from the factory. When I removed the spring and follower and reassembled the mag box would move around a bit.

I shot from sandbags but tried to grip the rifle. I could tell I was positioned better on the good groups with less input from me needed to be on target. I think with a few adjustments, possibly a skim bedding, hand loaded ammo, and some practice of bench technique, I'll have a real shooter.

While not all targets were great, I see enough promise to think I have an excellent rifle.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/17/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had one in 270 WSM. I was shooting Winchester Supreme XP3 ammo into 1" groups at 200 yards. Don't let the forearm jump on the rest and it should shoot fine with the right load. I should have kept mine!

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It show's promise. You'll be very happy when you skim bed it.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone should start a thread on how to shoot light rifles from the bench and field positions. I'm sure there are tricks to the trade that our Kimber pros have figured out.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just proves my point that I'd rather buy a Savage.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Find ShortActionSmokers thread on tuning up a Kimber and some of the tricks he learned from Stick if my memory is correct . A little pressure at the end of the for-end is one of them.

Most wouldn't do it, but if it was me I would think about a full length bedding.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sounds like something is putting the action in a bind when you tighten both screws. Or maybe the rear screw is too long...

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
Just proves my point that I'd rather buy a Savage.

If you can't appreciate the difference between a Salvage and a Montana you don't need to waste your money on one.

After I learned a bit about how to shoot it and tweeked it, I shot just as good a group as I've ever shot with any factory rifle with factory ammo. It is a little harder to shoot than a heavier rifle but that's why bench rest shooters don't shoot 5 lb. rifles.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
And you would be shooting a Savage. Lifes to short to shoot ugly rifles. That group is fine for this point in time.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by sidepass
And you would be shooting a Savage. Lifes to short to shoot ugly rifles. That group is fine for this point in time.

Thanks a bunch. I could have just posted the two great groups and left it at that but I wanted to show the whole picture. It is a little more difficult to shoot than a heavier rifle. I could see every movement of my shoulder muscles transferred to the sight picture. I do think I learned a lot and successive trips will be even better. The main thing though is that it shot well enough when I knew I was doing my part that I am confident the rifle will shoot very well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dumb question, but how skittish are they when shooting offhand and other field positions?? I'm used to "heavy" rifles..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hate to say this but not bedding it properly is a waste of time and ammo. A rifle can't be sorted out properly if there are underlying issues with it.

Eliminating variables is where it's "at".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Karnis
Hate to say this but not bedding it properly is a waste of time and ammo. A rifle can't be sorted out properly if there are underlying issues with it.

I wouldn't be apologizing for stating the obvious. I totally agree with you.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Karnis

I don't disagree. I just think I need a little more range time to assure myself that there is a bedding issue. I know the torque adjustments and the seemingly correlations to accuracy strongly indicate that but I know how it felt shooting it for those good groups also. I know that those good groups were produced when I had downward pressure and a more solid rest. Some of the others were on target when they went off but required muscle tension to be there.

I'll shoot some more and if I still find shifting POI, I'll be looking into getting it bedded. One problem is that I don't know anyone close and would rather not go through shipping.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Dumb question, but how skittish are they when shooting offhand and other field positions?? I'm used to "heavy" rifles..

I'll let you know when I assure myself that it will shoot from a good rest. This is just the first day I spent with it. The main thing is that I don't think there is anything wrong that can't easily be corrected. I don't see how a bad barrel or chamber would have produced any groups like the two good ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on a good rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'll let you know when I assure myself that it will shoot from a good rest. This is just the first day I spent with it. The main thing is that I don't think there is anything wrong that can't easily be corrected. I don't see how a bad barrel or chamber would have produced any groups like the two good ones.

I agree with you and appreciate you taking the time to post real honest results. I also agree with Karnis in that it sounds like your rifle needs to be properly glass bedded. A properly glass bedded rifle will not have such a strong reaction to varying action screw torque. I can also see your POI go haywire if you remove your barreled action from the stock and put it back together. For these reasons, I generally do like Karnis does and glass bed them before all else, next step is tune the trigger, then make sure the mag box isn't binding, yad yada yada like someone else already stated. It's the little things that add up to a lot when you look at the big picture...I will say this, I see some major potential in your rifle. I think you got a good one.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.