Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somebody it wasn't?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
RH, this is a typical Kimber thread, no worries. By page two the anti's have arrived to lend their "support". You've got good advice already. A skim bedding job and a few minor things to check and tweak if needed and you will be good to go. There is plenty of Kimber knowledge here to help when needed.
Keep us posted.

Ditto that... I've had 16 Kimber MT's.

Main thing when shooting at the bench YOU HAVE TO GRIP THE FOREARM SOLIDLY WITH YOUR LEFT HAND... no benchrest style with the left hand cradling the butt.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
You guys do know it is possible to have a nice lightweight rifle that also shoots, right?

Why do you assume there has to be a trade off?

What factory rifle do you suggest that is AS LIGHT as his Kimber, and also AS NICE?

I know the Forbes perform well, but they are a couple hundred more dollars, in chrome moly, and from what I can see the fit and finish is a bit rough.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really?

Never had a problem shooting as you say not to do.

I'm now waiting for someone to chime in saying it has to be held exactly "so" or it won't shoot to the same place.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
To check the bedding, tighten both screws. Rest the butt of the rifle on the floor or a bench while lightly holding the forearm and barrel. Loosen one action screw while looking for movement at the barrel/forearm. See or feel any movement? Retighten the screw you just loosened and losen the other screw. Any movement? If so you likely need a bedding job (like others I'm betting you do). If you have a dial indicator you can use it to see how much movement there is. More than about .002 movement you more than likely need a bedding job.

Quick and easy check that doesn't waste ammo or cost anything.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks Dave I appreciate that and I'll give it a try if it gives any more problems with groups. I did remove the mag box and try to see if I could detect any unevenness or movement with the action screws out just pressing on the front and rear alternatively. I couldn't detect anything like that. My mag box wasn't binding either.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
RH, this is a typical Kimber thread, no worries. By page two the anti's have arrived to lend their "support". You've got good advice already. A skim bedding job and a few minor things to check and tweak if needed and you will be good to go. There is plenty of Kimber knowledge here to help when needed.
Keep us posted.

Ditto that... I've had 16 Kimber MT's.

Main thing when shooting at the bench YOU HAVE TO GRIP THE FOREARM SOLIDLY WITH YOUR LEFT HAND... no benchrest style with the left hand cradling the butt.

Damn, I knew I was doing it all wrong laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mr. Clark, first thing I noticed with my 308 Montana was that one could squeeze the tip of the fore arm and it would touch the barrel. This is when I started resting it as far back as possible. Second thing I have learned is that even a brand new out of the box rifle scope can be screwed up. I know for a fact that a brand new scope can turn an honest 11/4 inch rifle into a consistent 5 inch gun no problemo. One needs a few scopes laying around for just this reason as it always takes the factory a few weeks to fix the problem you paid good money for.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

BSA, I'm only talking about the little Kimber MT... I wasn't aware you had any?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Karnis
Really?

Never had a problem shooting as you say not to do.

I'm now waiting for someone to chime in saying it has to be held exactly "so" or it won't shoot to the same place.

You're obviously a far better shooter with 84M MT's than me laugh

I find more consistency, group to group, with a firm forearm grip on the MT.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Some of you missed my point. I think the Kimbers are probably decent guns. And I think the OP's gun will shoot once he beds it. I was replying to the comments that basically you cannot expect accuracy out of a Kimber because they are only meant for hunting. That is BS, especially out of a $1200 gun.

If you only expect minute of milk jug, then spend $300 and be happy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

BSA, I'm only talking about the little Kimber MT... I wasn't aware you had any?

I was talking hand placement. I shoot lefty laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Some of you missed my point. I think the Kimbers are probably decent guns. And I think the OP's gun will shoot once he beds it. I was replying to the comments that basically you cannot expect accuracy out of a Kimber because they are only meant for hunting. That is BS, especially out of a $1200 gun.

I do agree with you and I do expect better than milk jug accuracy. These give me a lot of hope.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

However, I think what everyone is saying including me, is that accuracy wasn't the number one attribute looked for when considering the Kimber Montana. If accuracy had been the most important thing, I would have chosen something completely different.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I do agree with you and I do expect better than milk jug accuracy. These give me a lot of hope.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

However, I think what everyone is saying including me, is that accuracy wasn't the number one attribute looked for when considering the Kimber Montana. If accuracy had been the most important thing, I would have chosen something completely different.

Is your last name Clairborne? You seem to be real good at offering excuses, but not so good at taking advise. Those groups, even your so-called "good group", scream bedding issues, but keep on wasting time and ammo.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Is your last name Clairborne? You seem to be real good at offering excuses, but not so good at taking advise. Those groups, even your so-called "good group", scream bedding issues, but keep on wasting time and ammo.

Thank you great one. I must bow to your superiority. You are exceedingly wise and gracious.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thank you great one. I must bow to your superiority. You are exceedingly wise and gracious.

With each insipid response you continue to climb down the evolutionary ladder.

Please carry on!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

With each insipid response you continue to climb down the evolutionary ladder.

Please carry on! [/quote]

Yes, sir it was a condescending post but only in response to a condescending comment. I have been nothing but cordial to those on this forum who have offered helpful advice, including those who have suggested the rifle would benefit from bedding. Several times I have stated that that is likely the next step and thanked the individual for the advice.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
In retrospect I apologize to GW. I was being a smart ass because I felt I was being personally attacked. Not one of my better moments. I should have shown a lot more restraint. Please forgive my condescending attitude for what was likely meant as a helpful remark.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I could GAF less, and guys who say, "Accuracy wasn't the most important thing", don't usually post pictures of groups on the 'net.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And don't think I'm bashing your Montana, I have three in the safe, just that I know they sometimes benefit from a few tweaks and tricks of the trade, which is what several guys have bluntly pointed out here. I also don't buy into the excuse that light rifles take 57 trick moves to hold them properly in order to shoot halfway decent from the bench.

I personally think the bigger issue is, Montana's are so damn light, and IMO, aren't exactly a joy to shoot from the bench or prone position (7mm-08's on up) that guys tend to death grip them. My .308 is my favorite hunting rifle, but I can't say I look forward to sitting down and shooting it just to shoot it. Now the .223, that's a different story.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.